Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro only works when connected to power source.

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
JustAQuestion
Aspirant
Aspirant

My Arlo Pro only works when I connect it to a power source. I've looked on the community, and it tells me that in order for the battery to charge, I must use the charger Arlo provides me. I tried charging the Arlo Pro with the provided charger, but my camera still does not work when I disconnect it from my power source. Is there a way to fix this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JustAQuestion
Aspirant
Aspirant

Update: I switched the batteries, and found out that the other battery works fine, I'm going to contact support to see if I can get a replacement. Thank you to all that helped.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
brh
Master
Master

Is your battery completely or nearly dead? If so, I googled that this morning and there is a procedure you must follow for that. It should be in the manual.

If that is not the problem, are you sure that the cables and battery are fully seated?

If these don't fis your problem, let us know.

Brian

JustAQuestion
Aspirant
Aspirant

My battery is completely dead, even when I've been charging it for a few hours. Is there a procedure that I can follow to fix that?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

There is always the chance you have a defective battery...

Any way, the supplied ac adapter is a Qualcomm type with dual voltage outputs. It puts out 5v to run the cam AND 9v to charge the battery pack . A regular USB adapter will run the cam but never charge it

Since the cam runs with the adapter , the cam is good.

pull the battery pack, and put back in ....use the supplied adapter and charge for 3 hrs.

If the pack doesn't charge in that time to run the cam, contact Netgear Support

if you have two cams u can swap batteries and see if issue follows battery pack 

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
brh
Master
Master

I don't know why my other two posts have disappeared.

In the knowledge base they say to remove the USB cable from the charger and wait a few seconds then plug it back in. You must reinsert the battery within two minutes or you must start over. Wait a few minutes and see if it is charging.

You can always google your question.

Brian

brh
Master
Master

The article also says you can try to charge the battery while it is still in the camera. Have you tried that?

Brian

steve_t
Master Master
Master

With the battery in the camera and the camera plugged in, when you look at the camera in the devices list, does it have a white battery symbol with a lightning bolt through it? Or does it have the icon of a plug?

JustAQuestion
Aspirant
Aspirant

The icon is a plug

steve_t
Master Master
Master

JustAQuestion wrote:

The icon is a plug

Either your battery is not making contact with the terminals correctly or the battery is defective. You've made sure there's no plastic over the battery terminals yeah? Try, with the door open but the camera plugged in, to manually press on the battery to force it to make a stronger contact with the battery pins in the camera. If that doesn't work, I'd try a different battery. Have you got another camera you can steal the battery out of?

Razor512
Guide
Guide

I had a similar issue in the past, where one had completely dies while I was traveling. The issue is due to netgear setting the minimum voltage for it to charge the battery to around 6.5V and the cutoff where it reads 0% is not much higher, thus if it stays dead for too long (a few days), the self discharge of the battery will cause it to drop to a point where the device will refuse to charge the battery.

I ended up having to use a an old tablet battery of a similar voltage to manually charge the Arlo Pro battery until it reached a voltage where the camera was willing to charge the battery again.

The issue overall is a firmware issue where the minimum voltage point where it would refuse to charge, is set far too high.

brh
Master
Master

Out of curiosity,

Is this limitation built into just the charger or is it also built into the AC power plug? The reason I ask is that one of the solutions I read somewhere was just to try to charge the battery while it is still in the camera. I am assuming you can't give the battery somewhat of a chrge through a regular USB port in your PC. Did you use the Ac plug from, say, an iPhone to circumvent this restriction?

Love to hear exactly how you did this.

Brian

JustAQuestion
Aspirant
Aspirant

Update: I switched the batteries, and found out that the other battery works fine, I'm going to contact support to see if I can get a replacement. Thank you to all that helped.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

JustAQuestion wrote:

Great. I'm sure they'll get your sorted with a working battery ASAP

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

brh wrote:

Out of curiosity,

Is this limitation built into just the charger or is it also built into the AC power plug? The reason I ask is that one of the solutions I read somewhere was just to try to charge the battery while it is still in the camera.

Remember, the Netgear adapter is dual voltage....

But the camera is also involved as you can leave tha ac adapter plugged into the camera LONG term and not damage the battery... In reality, in the camera, the battery pack gets about an 80%+ charge ( to eliminate overcharge long term ).

The only way to charge the pack to 100% is the charge tube sold by Netgear... It does make a big diff on the usage time of the pack when charged outside the camera if able to do so..

Morse is faster than texting!
brh
Master
Master

I ran across this on another post by Seanmodious:

"Plugged the camera in but it wouldn't appear to charge.  With the help of tech support, I removed the device, unplugged it without the battery for 2 minutes, plugged it in and then resynched it with the base station.  This worked perfectly and the battery then showed that it was charging, the battery was at 99% and the camera would show live video.  The only thing that I had to do then was readd the camera to the modes I have setup."

Another cause I have found in other posts is the possibility of a bad cable.

Brian