Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro - not capturing videos nor able to live view, but battery draining rapidly

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Snitr
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,

I have three Arlo Pro cameras connected to a base station, purchased a little over a year ago. Out of the three, 2 of them are working fine. Just one of them started acting out from last night. Cannot connect to the camera for live view. Camera not recording videos or triggering on motion. Within a span of 12 hours, the battery drained from >50% down to 1%. With my typical usage, the battery lasts over 4 months, so this rapid drop was strange. Here is a list of symptoms and the troubleshooting I have already tried.

Symptoms - 

1. Not able to live view on the camera with the problem from the mobile app. The app says connecting for several seconds without actually connecting and then gives up and the device temporarily goes offline. Only once in ~50 attempts, I am able to connect and view live from the troubled camera. No such issues on the other two functional cameras connected to same base station.

2. Camera not recording any videos. Motion triggering also doesn't appear to be happening.

3. Rapid battery drain. Battery will go from full to empty within 1-2 days at the rate it is discharging vs. typical drain which usually takes over 4 months.

Troubleshooting tried already -

1. Removing the battery and re-inserting it.

2. Removing the device from the base station and re-synching. The camera was having a hard time to re-synching to the base station. Took several attempts before it worked.

3. Restarting the base station and then re-synching (have not tried hard reset on the base station, assuming it is even possible to do that)

4. I charged the battery from the bad unit and swapped out the batteries with one of the working cameras, so I know the battery is working fine and not draining unnecessarily. It has to be the camera itself.

5. Wifi router reset

FW version - 1.092.0.25_24_986

I am running out of ideas. Has anyone run into a similar situation? Any advice much appreciated!

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Snitr wrote:

I have three Arlo Pro cameras connected to a base station, purchased a little over a year ago. Out of the three, 2 of them are working fine. Just one of them started acting out from last night. Cannot connect to the camera for live view. Camera not recording videos or triggering on motion. Within a span of 12 hours, the battery drained from >50% down to 1%. With my typical usage, the battery lasts over 4 months, so this rapid drop was strange. Here is a list of symptoms and the troubleshooting I have already tried.

Symptoms - 

1. Not able to live view on the camera with the problem from the mobile app. The app says connecting for several seconds without actually connecting and then gives up and the device temporarily goes offline. Only once in ~50 attempts, I am able to connect and view live from the troubled camera. No such issues on the other two functional cameras connected to same base station.

2. Camera not recording any videos. Motion triggering also doesn't appear to be happening.

3. Rapid battery drain. Battery will go from full to empty within 1-2 days at the rate it is discharging vs. typical drain which usually takes over 4 months.

It sounds like the camera is no longer able to maintain a good connection with the base station.

Are you seeing an indication of a camera connection issue in the base LEDs: https://kb.arlo.com/000039100/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Arlo-SmartHub-or-base-station-mean

Unfortunately the camera warranty is 1 year.  But I suggest contacting support anyway, as they might be able to resolve it.  https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

Snitr
Aspirant
Aspirant

@StephenB Thank you for the response. I checked the LED. The power and the camera LED's are solid green. The internet LED is alternating between solid green and blinking green, which is probably the correct way for it to be operating. 

I will contact support now. thanks!