Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro motion detection confusion

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
SMH-27
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello all,

I installed my arlo pro w/ base station Monday and I've struggled with the motion sensing to the point it's got me baffled.  I have my camera on the corner of the house aiming across the front yard to where you can see the street, my driveway, and the walkway to my front door.  This was the most logical spot for the camera because I want to be able to keep an eye on my driveway and front door.  Here's the issue.....i can walk out of my front door, down my walkway(which is maybe 15' from the camera), to my driveway(45'-50'), and it won't pick me up.  However, it will pick up a vehicle driving down the street(sometimes!!) and the street is the furthest location from the camera!!!  I really could care less if it's picking up vehicles going down the street but I definitely want it picking anything up that's entering my driveway or someone walking from my driveway to my front door!!  

I have my mode set to schedule so that it'll be armed from 10PM to 8AM.  We came home last night about 11, pulled in the driveway, straight into the garage and it didn't trip.  This is why I'm confused.  How can it trip on the furthest motion(sometimes!) but not on the motion closest to it!!

HELP!!

6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

As noted many times here, positioning the camera is very important. Do NOT position to get the street - set it up so motion is across the FOV rather than directly at the camera for only the area of interest (door and approaching the door, maybe the driveway close to the house). Cars reflect a lot of the sun's IR so you get detection at great range but are you really interested in cars on the street or people near your house? People don't reflect IR much so you're using the IR they put out, limiting detection to 25 feet (or less, depending on circumstances).

Post screenshots for suggestions.

SMH-27
Aspirant
Aspirant

Here is a video i just got 25 minutes ago.  I had asked my wife, a minute or two before, to walk out the front door, down the walkway, and to the garage to leave to go to work.  I thought this video was going to make me eat my words.....

Needless to say, i'm open to suggestions......

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/697C63248A66FD6D_201807

Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Try angling slightly more downward and to the left. It looks like shrubs may be blocking the line of sight for the ir lights. I have mine set up similar to yours. Other than that it looks like it should be picking it up. Are you at 100% sensitivity?
Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Also don't pay too much attention to the 25 foot rule. Mine picks up people far beyond that at 100% sensitivity. It catches everyone on sidewalk which is 35 feet exactly
SMH-27
Aspirant
Aspirant

No, I'm at 80%.  I'll adjust the angle and the sensitivity so that most of the road is out of the FOV.  I do have a crepe myrtle right under the camera that I'll more than likely have to trim.  Here's another odd thing, it won't pick up a vehicle moving in my driveway.  I don't understand how it can pick up a moving vehicle on the road and not a moving vehicle in my driveway!

Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
I know what you mean. At 55% it will pick up a person walking up driveway but not my car. At 100 it will . but when the sun is bright it will pick up my car at 55%. So the sun is a factor. I had to move my camera twice to get it where i want it. There extremely sensitive. Even moving it 1/8 of an inch can mean the difference between picking up motion or nothing. Its frustrating