Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro local storage drive LED is always on

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Blacky17557
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi.  This is my first post so hoping that someone can help please?

I have the Arlo Pro 3 Camera set-up at home.  They were installed the other day and are working just fine.

I have connected a Seagate Slim 2TB Hard Drive to my Arlo Base Station.  I made sure that it was formatted.

It is connected via the USB Connection.

My system is set-up as "Schedule" and is set to come on at the times when I am not at home and working.

My issue is that the light on my External Hard Drive is ALWAYS on and seems to be ACTIVE (Sometimes it is making a noise that indicates it is doing something) - but the light is ALWAYS ON.  I am worried that the External Hard Drive will burn out or similar as it is always on!!  Is this how it is supposed to be please?

Thanks Paul

6 REPLIES 6
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Is the drive recording correctly ?  ( btw, it will NOT record manually started record session , only motion activated )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There are sometimes utilities from the drive manufacturer which can be used to set drive shutdown times.  I've used on from Seagate in the past but don't know if it's still available or if any others are available.

I don't think you risk wearing out the drive in any way other than the rated drive lifetime, which is years.  The base may well be keeping the drive alive the whole time so the utility above may not do anything.  I would tend to suggest using a thumb drive rather than a hard drive since 1) it costs a lot less, 2) it's easier to remove, and 3) 2TB is frankly overkill.  I have a 16GB thumb drive installed which keeps at least a months' worth of videos.  I record 100-175 videos a day resulting in 450MB-800MB each day.  I have it set up to overwrite as it fills so I don't have to manually clean it out.

Blacky17557
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi and thanks for your reply.

It is recording correctly.  I checked it last night - and it had recorded some motion activated events when I was first setting it up.

Thanks for the heads up re Not recording manually - as I didn't know that!!

Blacky17557
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi and thanks for your reply.

I like the idea of a thumb drive (Didn't think of that) - takes up less room as well.

Thanks for your advice regarding my use of the Hard Drive - it gives me some options to consider.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Some external hd's do that by default, not sure about your particular model but I've used some in the past that did that. However you can check it out by plugging it to a computer's usb (if you haven't done that already) and see if does same there.

USB thumb drive still better option as  previously suggested, I'm also using a 32GB one and have not filled half of it yet in almost a year.

Blacky17557
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi and thanks for your response.

After reading comments on this forum I have decided to go with the USB thumb Drive as suggested.

I have exactly the same drive connected permanently to my computer and it to has the light on all the time.

I guess not a real problem after all ...

Thanks again for your comment and help!!