Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro inside cameras on and outside cameras off

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
BarbaraS
Follower
Follower

I am looking into a second base model so I can turn off the inside cameras and still leave the outside cameras on. Do I need separate accounts or can I use the same account with the same app..

3 REPLIES 3
JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Quick question: why would you need to have another base station to do that? I would create a mode with the outside cameras on, set to the specs I wanted, and not include the inside cameras (not included they are disarmed). Time to set inside on and outside off, switch to that mode. Or build the mode into the schedule if you want it automatically. The reason for a second base station is ususally signal reach.

JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

inside off, outside on of course.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@BarbaraS wrote:

I am looking into a second base model so I can turn off the inside cameras and still leave the outside cameras on. Do I need separate accounts or can I use the same account with the same app..

You can control cameras in different ways on the same base.  The only time I've seen a need for a second base (other than signal strength and redundancy) is if I need a second Schedule.  The system only allows one schedule per base for wireless cameras.

So even with one base, you can set up geofencing with Home and Away modes that turn different caneras on and off.  You can even use a Schedule with Geofencing.  I turn all cameras on when we are away, and all cameras off when we are home during the day, but I turn outside cameras on when we are home at night.  You could also have some interior cameras come on after bedtime to monitor entries, for example.

Sometimes kits of cameras with a base are actually less expensive than add-on cameras alone and you do eliminate the base as a single point of failure when you have more than one base and spread your cameras around on the two bases.

I also use cameras from more than one company to eliminate total blindness due to a "cloud" failure or bad software or firmware update.  I have one Arlo base off-line at one of my locations currently, but I can still see with my Arlo-Q Plus, NetAtmo Welcome and my Nest cameras there, so while some cameras are down until my next visit, I am not totally "blind" there.