Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 30 Replies
  • 11 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
takumi87
Star
Star

I recently installed an Arlo Pro outdoors and it seems to work well. However, today we had some rainwhich covered the camera lens. This rendered the camera unusable. Below is a screenshot of what it looks like.

Are there any solutions to this? Are there any accessories that can cover the camera to protect it from the rain and snow in order to prevent this problem? Thanks!

Screenshot_20170103-180508.png

30 REPLIES 30
takumi87
Star
Star

Sad to hear that the hood hasn't helped. I got my skins in but just haven't had any time to install them yet. I'll be doing the Rain-X + Skins to see if that helps. I'll post back whenever I get around to doing it.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The skins frankly don't do much for weatherproofing.  They're more for color matching, aesthetics, etc.  The hood for the Pro may help slightly but would depend on the exact direction and intensity of the weather.

I have no skins on mine.  One camera most directly affected by the direction of the weather will sometimes have water/snow on it but there's nothing I can do other than to change locations with more protection.  It's the nature of the beast and no skin will fix it.

While I haven't tried it, the Rain-X trick would be the most likely to help.

Mr_Marco
Tutor
Tutor

Mr_Marco
Tutor
Tutor
Sorry for the delay getting back, but I wanted to give a good test and had to wait for suitable rain storms. As mentioned, I bought the Wasserstein skins. They fit very well and I've experienced no issues with reflection or vignetting. I'm also happy to report they completely eliminate the water reflection problem in light and heavy rain. High humidity condensation is still an issue, but I've only experienced that once in the month-plus I've been using the skin. I've also been through a few snow and ice storms with no problem. I've moved my camera around a bit trying to optimize location, and currently it is angled at about 30 degrees. All-in-all, I'm very pleased with the Wasserstein skins, and I still have two left for additional cameras to be purchased.
takumi87
Star
Star

Apologies for the delay from me as well. I was also waiting for some more rain, snow, and ice to see how the new setup worked and I completely forgot about this thread.

I re-configured my setup and it seems to work much better than before. I also have the Wasserstein skins. In addition to the skins, I also applied some RainX and added a new arm mount. The new mount was for unrelated reasons but I changed everything all at once so it wasn't a controlled test. I'm not sure what helped the most or if it was a combination of things, but this setup seems to work much better than before. I plan to reapply the RainX whenever I take the camera down for charging. 

Bcowan1960
Tutor
Tutor
Rain X worked for me... At a battery change, I plan on reapply.
Hope this helps.