Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro discharging even while plugged in and disabled.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Binary100100
Apprentice
Apprentice
I have three Arlo cameras. I bought the Arlo Pro 2 kit with two cameras and ordered a third camera from Amazon. But I bought the Arlo Pro instead of the Pro 2 by mistake. All three cameras are plugged in directly for CVR. But:
CVR isn't available for Arlo Pro even if it's plugged in
Battery won't stay charged even if its plugged in like the other two (Arlo Pro 2) cameras. I charged the camera to 100% last night and plugged it in. Woke up this morning and it was down to 80%. So I disabled it. Here it is ~16 hours later and now it's at 64%. How is this even possible?
9 REPLIES 9
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

It may be defective... can you return or contact Netgear for warranty

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Binary100100
Apprentice
Apprentice
Think I'm going to return it to Amazon for a full refund and order the Pro 2 instead. This is ridiculous! At 57% now and it hasn't even been two hours. It's not even active! I wouldn't expect this to have this much drain in normal conditions no less while deactivated AND while plugged in.
Binary100100
Apprentice
Apprentice

So... the camera eventually died on me in about a day despite it was plugged in.

But just for the heck of it I removed the battery and plugged it in and it's running just fine without the battery.

Does that make any sense to anyone?

I'm definitely returning this piece of crap!

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Having it work fine without the battery in it and plugged in makes sense, it's designed to work that way if you want.

The battery draining while the camera was plugged in makes no sense. Either you had a bad conenction or you have a bad battery.

GoalSecurity
Tutor
Tutor

I don't know if this applies to the Arlo when plugged in, but...

I've heard that some smart devices which run on battery and/or plugged in, will not keep the battery at 100% when plugged in, because a fully-charged Lithium Ion battery actually doesn't last as long as when it's kept midway-charged. So a really smart device will not keep the batteries at 100% when the device seems to be plugged in all the time.

Would be nice if someone from Arlo could weigh in, and explain if their device is being super-smart, or if you're just having an issue with your Arlo. I sort of worry it's the latter, but you never know...

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The Arlo Pro cameras will only charge to an actual 80% when plugged in although the indicator shows 100%. This is to protect the battery from long-term overcharging. It's by design.

Dom7
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same problem with 1 of my pro 2 cameras.  Did you find the cause or solution to this?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
If the battery is discharging while plugged in there are various possibilities. For starters, is the camera indicating that the power source is plugged in (lightning bolt on the battery icon)?

1) Bad camera
2) Bad power supply
3) Wrong power supply (needs to have both 5v and 9v outputs)
Binary100100
Apprentice
Apprentice

Nope. Just returned the camera. The replacement worked just fine.