Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro charging faults

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
JD56
Tutor
Tutor
My Arlo Pro cameras no longer charge with the supplied chargers, I get an error message saying incompatible charger or fault with charger.
I’ve tried 3 chargers all supplied with the cameras and tried removing them of the network but because the batteries are low they won’t add back on and sync (blue flashing light)
I tried to charge a camera that had 50% but the same error message appears
Any ideas what this could be please?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DaveO6
Star
Star

I had same issue. 3 Cameras decided they would not charge. Got 2 fixed, the 3rd is mounted externally so not tried that one yet. I ended up taking the batteries out for a while, say 15 minutes or longer. I then connected a Charging cable with no Bateery installed. The Cameras both worked. I powered off the camera and then inserted the battery. Worked on Battery power. Powered up the camera and one started charging and showing blue LED but the other said it was charging but no Blue LED....but the Charge rose to 100% eventually. So, this has got to be a software issue. No idea what is causing it, wondering if it is caused by not seating power able properly and that is generating an error and the software then remembers this (in the camera) and you need to reset this error somehow and removing all power for a while from the camera achieves this. Will try my 3rd camera later today if time allows (family stuff today) and see if this approach also works for it. Fingers crossed. If this does work I will see if Arlo can get a firmware update done to address this software error.   

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Emaxt
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have exactly the same problem. I have a system is in operation now for 2 weeks. Second time I try to charge the battery in the devices the same charging error occurs. Apart from the fact that the rechargeable batteries discharge much too quickly, I can now not charge any of the three cameras. Great. I wish to go away with the family for 3 days and can now leave with the cameras inoperative - great surveillance system. 

So tell me suppport how do i charge the cameras? One was outside and it rained. The other two were indoors and can also not be charged? The battery charger was in the dry garage?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you verified that the chargers are Netgear/Arlo ones with both 5v and 9v outputs?

Emaxt
Aspirant
Aspirant

I’m using the charger that came in the arlo box. So I assume rightly or wrongly that they supply the correct one

brh
Master
Master

It could be battery contacts inside the camera that are either dirty or not making good connection. I once had that problem with a solar panel and it turned out to be dirty battery terminals inside the camera.

Brian

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@Emaxt wrote:

I’m using the charger that came in the arlo box. So I assume rightly or wrongly that they supply the correct one

No way of telling otherthan to read the specs on the charger as I suggested before.

Emaxt
Aspirant
Aspirant

It is the correct charger. The charger functioned once when I opened the original Arlo packaging and removed the original Arlo charger. 

Emaxt
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks, but the terminals are like new. The camera kit is new. And has been in operation for two weeks. I tried to charge all three cameras. Same problem with all. 

DaveO6
Star
Star

I had same issue. 3 Cameras decided they would not charge. Got 2 fixed, the 3rd is mounted externally so not tried that one yet. I ended up taking the batteries out for a while, say 15 minutes or longer. I then connected a Charging cable with no Bateery installed. The Cameras both worked. I powered off the camera and then inserted the battery. Worked on Battery power. Powered up the camera and one started charging and showing blue LED but the other said it was charging but no Blue LED....but the Charge rose to 100% eventually. So, this has got to be a software issue. No idea what is causing it, wondering if it is caused by not seating power able properly and that is generating an error and the software then remembers this (in the camera) and you need to reset this error somehow and removing all power for a while from the camera achieves this. Will try my 3rd camera later today if time allows (family stuff today) and see if this approach also works for it. Fingers crossed. If this does work I will see if Arlo can get a firmware update done to address this software error.   

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
JD56
Tutor
Tutor
Thank you so much all.
This resolved the issue by removing the batteries and plugging the charger in then learning them back on the system.
This is totally crazy trying to find ways around software glitches that should be tried and tested first!
Thanks again for your help!
Catmal
Initiate
Initiate
This issue is not solved. The charging fault is a major bug. Software very buggy with IOS The product should be recalled. It is not merchantable quality. Cannot recommend this product. Crowd sourcing a solution will not fix bad software. .
jr10
Tutor
Tutor

I've already wrote for some help on another issue that has not been responded to. I installed this system on the 21st of Dec and it seems good for awhile then I have some issues I need to figuire out. Woke up just a little bit ago and pulled my live feed up and saw this message on one of my cameras. This is getting very frustrating always having to fix issues with this system and not even having it for 2 weeks yet. I purchased another power adapter that is from arlo and for the pro 2 system. Shouldn't have this many issues with a system that cost 400 bucks. Begining to wish I would have purchased some other type of security system

DaveO6
Star
Star

UPDATE: Problem solved.

1. Disconnect power from Camera (Removing Battery and Power Cable) so that the Camera loses all memory of previous problems. Around 15 minutes seems to work.

2. Connect Camera to Power Cable (No Battery). If camera now works (two pin plug should be visible in App against Device) go to Step 3 otherwise go back to Step 1 and wait longer.

3. Turn off power to cable. Insert Battery.

4. Check on App if Battery is now charging. If so, leave and when it reaches 100% the blue LED will illuminate on Camera. If this is not charging then this may be a battery charging issue and I cannot help but there are other posts on battery charing issues.

I know someone has said this has not solved the problem but to be honest I have not had any issues since I have done this. All batteries are on 100% connected to a power supply. Having got annoyed with Arlo this fix have changed my view and I purchased an additional system for my Mothers house. I am really impressed with the system; one of my better purchases.