Arlo Pro - cameras off line

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
GeraldHenry
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo Pro system.  Base station VMB4000, 2.4G. 

One camera went off line.  A week later the other four went off line.  Batteries are charged and weather wasn't cold.

I rebooted the router and the base station and did a factory reset.  I switched the ethernet cables with no change.  The middle (globe) light was off but is now flashing instead of steady green.  I deleted the base station and am trying to add the device back to start over.  Arlo says they can not recognize the device.  I am not "entitled" to live support because I don't have a subscription.

System has worked flawlessly but failed shortly after being warned about end of life policy.

17 REPLIES 17
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

To be clear, you not only held the reset button until the LEDs started flashing amber but you also removed all devices in Settings, My Devices, right?

GeraldHenry
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes.  I removed the base station which is the only device I have.

GeraldHenry
Aspirant
Aspirant

I also got confirmation from my internet provider that the ethernet function is working.  Cables, jacks and router are all good.

If the issue is a faulty base station, I see them for sale on ebay.  Would Arlo have any of these left, new or refurbished?

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

What colour is the internet led flashing on the base station now?

• Off is no Ethernet connected.
  • amber is Ethernet connected but no internet.
  • green steady or intermittent flashing green is normal.

What colour is the camera led?

• Off is no cameras added.
  • Amber flashing is a missing camera.
  • Amber steady is Base station is not added.
  • Green is cameras connected and status is normal.

When you try adding the base to your account use a pc web browser connected to the router by logging into my.arlo.com.

GeraldHenry
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi DannyBearAgain,

Ethernet LED is flashing green.  I thought it was supposed to be steady green.  Camera LED is steady amber.  I have tried to add device using desktop attached to router and mobile app.  No luck.

I can't find a provision to select the correct location to add the device selected as per Arlo's instructions.

The process I have followed:

how to add an additional device

click on my.arlo.com

sign in

add new device

click on base station/hub picture

plug in ethernet

plug in power

screen says "looking for Arlo device"

screen says "base station could not be discovered"

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@GeraldHenry wrote:

Ethernet LED is flashing green. 

Blinking is fine, it just means there is some activity on the link.

@GeraldHenry wrote:

click on my.arlo.com

sign in

add new device

click on base station/hub picture

plug in ethernet

plug in power

screen says "looking for Arlo device"

screen says "base station could not be discovered"

Try plugging in ethernet and power first, and wait for the device to come up (LEDs in a stable state) before proceding.

If you can connect the PC to the router with wired ethernet, then also do that.  Disable any internet security software running on the PC.

GeraldHenry
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks everyone.  The problem appears to be solved.  I switched from 5G to 2.4G on my desktop.  Then I added a device (base station) via the mobile app and it found it right away.  Then I synced five cameras and they're all up and running although only one showed up on my wife's mobile.  Will work on that tomorrow.

I don't understand it but Arlo appears to work fine on 5G but you can't add a device unless it's on 2.4G.

gheilbrun
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having the same problem as  March 3. I too followed all of the steps including the reset. Lights turned amber and now I have a green power and internet and amber camera light.  My AT&T Router sends out both 2.4 and 5 GHz signals. My base is hard wired to the router. I'm not sure which signal it is getting. Why did you change your desktop to use 2.4?  I switched my mobile phone to use the 2.4 signal, but it still doesn't recognize any Arlo devices. Any ideas?

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

@GeraldHenry ,

To locate a device such as a base or camera the arlo app needs to be connected to the same network the devices are attached to before it can configure the devices to communicate over the internet path.

How your local router is setup can impact if your app can see the arlo devices.

The most confident method to use to add arlo equipment is the pc directly connected to the network router via Ethernet. Then using a web browser to login to my.arlo.com to add devices. When the devices have been successfully setup they can then communicate directly with the arlo server via the internet.

One important step is to ensure that you have removed the arlo device from the account devices list before importing it again. 

gheilbrun
Aspirant
Aspirant

I did all of that several times and I still can't add a device.  I have followed the instructions  many times, trying on my PC, iPad and Android phone. After five years, it looks like my base stopped working.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

@gheilbrun ,

what arlo base/hub model do you have, look for the label on the bottom for the unit with the VMB....

what does the base leds show?

https://kb.arlo.com/000039100/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Arlo-SmartHub-or-Base-Station-mean 

Do you use a VPN at all?

have you tried factory reset of the base station?

https://kb.arlo.com/1057976/How-can-I-reset-my-Arlo-SmartHub-or-Base-Station 

gheilbrun
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a VMB4000. I have tried factory resets  4 or 5 times now. I get green power and internet lights now and an amber camera ight. I logged into my PC which is hard wired ethernet connection to the same router as my base. I have no devices showing in my account. When I try to add a device, it eventually comes back saying it can't find any. I've also tried from my iPad and Android phone. I'm not sure what more I can try.

DanielRK
Tutor
Tutor

Just another software fault after updating.?

First there was a message that said Arlo is working on it, but still not working.

Middle green led is flashing.

3 cams offline on Base station but 2 Arlo Q working perfekt.(Not via Base)

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

@DanielRK ,

which isp are you using?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DanielRK wrote:

Just another software fault after updating.?

First there was a message that said Arlo is working on it, but still not working.

Middle green led is flashing.

3 cams offline on Base station 

Does the base also show an off-line status?

Have you tried power-cycling the base?  

Or removing/reinserting the camera batteries?

DanielRK
Tutor
Tutor

What is ISP?

Yes base is offline too.

Yes restart base and router and battery out, cable swop/test no luck.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DanielRK wrote:

What is ISP?

"Internet Service Provider" - the company that provides your home internet service.

@DanielRK wrote:

Yes base is offline too.

Yes restart base and router and battery out, cable swop/test no luck.

You might need to do a factory reset.

Safest to remove the cameras from the account before you remove the base.