Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
83edesignsNC
Follower
Follower

10/23/2017
I have owned (2) Arlo Pro's for over 6 months and have been experiencing a problem of short battery life between charges.

I have one located in the kitchen and it records a video every few seconds, sometimes 3 or more per minute because of the motion normally in a kitchen. This has lead to 600 to 1000 videos per day and a battery life of 2 to 3 weeks instead of the 4 to 6 months that it was advertised to have. Very irritating!

If it were possible to set the time between recordings, say 2 to 10 minutes, there would be fewer recording per day and I would think that would extend the battery life by quit a bit.

Is it possible to do that? I'm sure it would be, I have been a programmer for many years. l"m sure many customers would appreciate that improvement also.

Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,
Thomas Casey

7 REPLIES 7
chris180
Aspirant
Aspirant

Why not disarm it while at home?  I don't think netgear ever claimed 4 to 6 months battery life with 1000 videos per day.  That a huge amount.  Plugging it in would be the best option for you.  

I have two  cameras outside.  The one on the driveway goes off quite a bit and i had to charge it every couple months before i got the solar panel.  The one on my front door doesn't go off too much and i just charged it for the second time in the year i have had it.

Streak2
Master Master
Master

The 3 to 4 month claim is for 30 x 10s recordings per day.

I have a client who also uses Arlo in his catering company. Like yours the kitchen camera needs charging every few weeks. This is within specification. Mine at the front door lasts many months between charges.

As mentioned above, if at all possible, try and run it off mains using the supplied charger.

silverado44
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Help us understand here, why do you have your inside cameras recording activity while home? 1000 clips a day is 7000 a week so no wonder the battery is dieing and I cant believe you think the battery should last 3 months under these conditions.

Oktay
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a similar problem. I have to re-charge my kitchen camera every 5-6 days. The base station is locaten right next door on the living room.

I keep my cameras armed - running because we need to record our maid who looks after our kid.

Thx.

Oktay

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A better solution would be to plug it in.  Then there's no battery issue.

Spec life for the battery charge is for <5 minutes of total recording and live veiw per day.  Sounds like you're well over that.

Oktay
Aspirant
Aspirant

That's what I a planing to do. I wonder if there is a separate power adapter sold for it?

If not I gueas I will have to use any usb charger and a cable.

Thanks!

Oktay

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There is a separate power supply for sale with a battery:

http://www.arlo.com/en-us/landing/arlo-pro-accessories.aspx

but you end up paying more for having the battery included.  A possible solution is a QUALITY charger compatible with Qualcomm Quick Charge (5v and 9v). These have been shown to work fine but be aware that there's always the potential for a warranty issue for using non-Netgear accessories.