Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
pwatts65
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have had these for less than a year and the batteries when I first installed them lasted about 5-6 months. I havent changed any settings, recharged all three cameras as the instructions stated, they lasted about a month.

Can you tell me why? All my settings are the same, and are on the Optimized setting and they are not lasting. Changing them and having to recharge thru a camera every time is a pain. Thats the other complaint is having to take a camera down to charge. 

12 REPLIES 12
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Battery life will depend on a number of factors. Mostly it's recording time but can include things like temperature and interference to the signal between the base station and camera

You could hardwire the power or consider a solar panel if you never want to charge the camera again. The solar panel works remarkably well even when it's not that sunny but is rather large 

pwatts65
Aspirant
Aspirant

Would rather not do a solar panel. I certainly understand all the factors, but I haven’t changed anything and the battery life is squat compared to when they were new

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A PITA but trey removing everything from Settings, My Devices and start fresh. Note your settings, modes, rules and schedule to help speeed the rebuild process. Once rebuilt, monitor your battery usage. Any better?

Jeff3113
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am experiencing the same thing with battery life.  My system is exactly one year old.  Initially the batteries lasted a few months.  NOW, they barely make it one month. This is getting VERY frustrating.  It figures out to about 3% per day.

I have four cameras and they are ALL losing power at the same rate.    version 2.5.2_21629.

I get 2-3 recordings per WEEK at 20 seconds.  So overuse is NOT an issue.

Basically I've kept the same settings.  Actually things are LESS sensistive since I've adjusted for false alarms dealing with plants blowing around.

SERIOUSLY!     What gives???  This is unacceptable.

ArloUser2468
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi.  I have experienced the same problem.

My camera batteries initially lasted six months.  Now they last a month at most.  They are all set to 10 seconds recording, at the 'optimal' level (so not full HD).  I have one camera inside the house and this lasts the same period of time - so temperature is not an issue.  I last charged them two weeks ago and they are now at about 42%.

In terms of recording time, I get a maximum of 20-30 seconds of video each day.

The signal from the base station is showing as full.

I have even resorted to using 'schedule' mode so the camereas are only live for a few hours a day.  This has also not helped.

Please can yuo suggest a solution?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ArloUser2468,

The Arlo development team is currently investigating reports of increased battery drain. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

JamesC

Statwreck
Aspirant
Aspirant
ABSOLUTELY GARBAGE BATTERY LIFE!
I didn’t spend the extra money on the Arlo brand so that I would have to take down every camera I own once a month to charge it.
And then I find out the rechargeable batteries have an absurdly short life such as 3-6months??
This is highway robbery...
ArloUser2468
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi.  I had the same problem with the rechargable batteries lasting about a month.  Arlo updated the software on my cameras and base station and the battery life is now back to about six months.  Would reccomend contacting the Arlo support team.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

My battery life is fine but then I know how they're set up and used. We have no idea about your environment since you didn't provide details. And the batteries have lasted since new a couple of years ago (or whenever they were available first). You don't need to replace batteries, especially multiple ones, under normal use. If you really have an issue, use your warranty:

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Why is 3-6 months absurd? Get your cell phone to record video for 5 minutes a day. How long does the battery last?

Statwreck
Aspirant
Aspirant
It’s absurd that I’m expected to buy a new “rechargeable” battery every 6 months. Where is the quality that I paid for??
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Oh right. I get what you mean now. I thought you were talking about time between charges. My Arlo Pro batteries have been running for nearly 3 years now and I've not had to replace any. If the battery is somehow faulty after 6 months, it should be replaceable under warranty