Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro basestation goes offline once in a while

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
FrankCH
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have just received my ARLA Pro Cam set. Including 3 cams. 

During the setup I notice that the basestation go offline once in a while, and also ALL cameras suddenly being busy.

So now, to rule out ANÝ network issues the connection to the internet is 100% stable, I have a ping running constantly from the same router, also internally between PC's.

And yes, I have changed the cable, have used another port, have used another switch, have set it directly into my router, and the firmware is upgraded.

The cameras and base station are placed a long way from the wireless accesspoint, the cameras themselves are also placed a long way from eachother, but abseloutely within the coverage area.

So, abseloutely NO network issues, None. I really dont want to hear ANY suggestions pointing in that direction, unless they are really really dead serious.

So right now I think it is outrageous, I see that many have the SAME issues, and I am going on holliday tommorow, so Netgear, MAKE IT WORK ASAP!!!

Frank 

(Systemadministrator for +20 Years)

10 REPLIES 10
steve_t
Master Master
Master

The only time my base station has gone offline has been when I've been repeatedly logging into the account and switching from my phone to my computer and back to my phone. I guess it could go offline without me realising but I never seem to be missing any recordings. I just figured it became overwhelmed with my repeated accessing in a short space of time.

When you say "MAKE IT WORK", does that mean it's not working? You might want to first try a factory reset and re-sync'ing of the cameras and if that doesn't work do a live chat with a netgear agent by clicking Contact Support at the bottom of the page

PS. Your signature says Arlo Wire Free 3030 but the Pro series is a 4000 series model

FrankCH
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just changed the model, thank you for the heads up.

Its working on and off since the base station is not allways online. The internet lamp is amber.

And btw. the base station should not we overwelmed. If someone breaks into your house, I am sure you

want to see live whats happening on all cameras, to determine if it was a false alarm or you should call

the police. If your Arlo station just takes a nap, you will not be able to do that.

What if the cams are triggeded rapidly by thieves, will that also make your basestation overwelmed?

My Inet connection is +70Mbs, so the network are not saturated.

I will try doing a reset as you suggested, but I am very much afraid that this is a general issue, like you have yourself actually.

Normally I check for issues in communities before buying, but unfortunately I forgot this time.

FrankCH
Aspirant
Aspirant

So just did a reset and paired all cams again, and, after 5 min. the basestation lost its internet connection.

Ill give support a try as you adviced.

FrankCH
Aspirant
Aspirant

So, the support was very friendly, and suggested a number of things, also to try connecting it to another LAN, which I will try.

Though the guy did not think it would do any difference, never the less its good advice.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

It may just be a hardware failure on your base unit ...temp releated ? who knows.

Can say I've not seen the base have issues as to going off-line from log in...more theat the phone/device needs the app stopped and just restarted.

My base has been on since late 2015 and has dropped out on it's own only 2x in that time... and it was somehow due to internet going on -off during cable repairs ( runing orig base and 12 cams )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
FrankCH
Aspirant
Aspirant

After second reset it seems to keep the connection to Inet so far.

But off course I can have a malfunctioning device. I will try to cycle the power several times to see if it makes any difference.

I have had a break in a couple of weeks ago, and yesterday my colleque was also hit. So I guess I was major frustrated because my holliday is

nearby, and I wanted to make sure that I had all the cams in place before then. It is very intrusive to have somebody going through all your stuff.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

FYI, an amber Internet LED means that the base has connection to the router but the servers aren't reachable for some reason.  That can be anything from your base to the server and everything inbetween.  Hopefully, the issue was temporary and/or reset.  If you want to try pings to prove life, you should ping outside your network.  You can't ping arlo.netgear.com since it won't respond so use traceroute to determine a distant point nearest to the server that does respond to a ping and use that.  Not totally conclusive but a start.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Mine wasn't due to activity, it was me logging in on my phone, then the computer about 5s later, which kicks me off from my phone connection, and then back on my phone about 10s later, which kicks me off the computer. It was a very specific set of circumstances where I was comparing what I was seeing on the phone with what the web interface was showing. I also have the older, original base station, which I believe has a slightly slower CPU inside

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Yup. The amber internet light is a good sign to work with. Did you try a new LAN cable and ethernet port in your router/modem?

PeeDub
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just bought a pro setup and had this same issue today...   logging in with phone to view a video, but then logging in on my desktop and back.  Now my device shows offline.  I'll take a look at the lights, etc when I get home, but at least your comments clued me in to what might be the issue.  Thanks!