Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro base station with "non-pro" camera. Also: USB clip length, disable siren?

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
alexz75
Follower
Follower

I didn't fully understand the difference between the Pro and 'Non-Pro' Arlo systems when I bought the latter on Amazon.  I really wanted to have the local storage option (USB in the base station) in case a prowler cuts my cable connection outside of the house (I suspect that many buglars will start cutting cable lines as more systems like Arlo, MyCPI and SimpiSafe more or less rely on an internet connection).  Anyhow, I'm thinking about buying an Arlo Pro base station (VMB4000-100NAS) and selling my non-Pro station for like 20 bucks.  But before I buy the wrong thing again, I have three questions:

1) Will my non-Pro cameras work with the Pro base station?  My current cameras have a "hardware version" of "H7"?  Any limitations?

2) Is there a max length of video clips that can be stored on the USB stick?  The Basic Plan for cloud storage stores 10 seconds clips.  If I stay on that plan, can the clips that are stored to the USB stick be longer than that 10 second clip?  Up to how long?

3) Is there a way to always disable the siren on the Pro base station no matter what mode the system is in (including Armed).  I already have a security system in the house with two very loud sirens.  I don't need another.  However, I'd like to test the camera system in away mode from time to time to make sure everything is working correctly (and also to bust my cats getting up on the counter where they're not supposed to be 🙂  ).   I don't want a siren going off during Armed mode testing.

Thanks,

Alex 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

1) all non pro Arlo cameras will function on the PRO base

2) The limit of the videos can be up to 2 mins , just like now on Basic level ...(the default is 10 sec but you can increase that up to 2 mins )

Only motion recorded events will go to the USB drive, not self started manula recordings

A speed stick of anywhere from 5 to 16 GB will prob be plenty

3) you have full control of the siren to go off or not in any mode...and can also manually set it off

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

FYI - Simplisafe uses a cellular connection, no wires to cut.

1) Yes, non pro cameras will work with the pro base.

2) The max recorded clip is 300 seconds (5 minutes). The free cloud supports this no problem. The clips on the usb stick will be the same as the cloud, up to 300 seconds in total length.

3) Yes you can disable the siren in armed mode.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

1) all non pro Arlo cameras will function on the PRO base

2) The limit of the videos can be up to 2 mins , just like now on Basic level ...(the default is 10 sec but you can increase that up to 2 mins )

Only motion recorded events will go to the USB drive, not self started manula recordings

A speed stick of anywhere from 5 to 16 GB will prob be plenty

3) you have full control of the siren to go off or not in any mode...and can also manually set it off

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

As a PS to the second post...

2 mins is the max on Arlo cameras .  Pro cameras allow up to a longer time if motion continues

pc2k17
Hero
Hero
@TomMac

Right, I forgot pro vs non-pro cameras. Thanks for the correction.