Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro base station versus Arlo base station

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
urzaseye
Guide
Guide

I have an Arlo base station (VMB3000) and am trying to figure out the technical differences between that and the new Arlo Pro base station model. I know it includes a siren but are there other under-the-hood technical improvements?

The system I run at home has 6 Arlo wire-free cameras and 1 Arlo Q. Once in a while when I open the app on my iPhone and try to go live to one of my cameras, I just get a spinning circle that eventually times out after maybe 30 seconds. But if I attempt to go live to a second camera, that one always works, and the same with going live with subsequent cameras. After the first camera times out, I can sometimes go back to it and it will work fine. Other times, I have to force-quit the iOS app, relaunch, re-authenticate and -then- I can get the first camera to work again. It doesn't matter which camera I choose first -- the driveway, the garage, the laundry room, etc. -- it's just always the first camera.

So I'm wondering if the new base station has any improved technologies to make it more responsive, for example. That sort of thing.

6 REPLIES 6
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

It has a faster processor and some more memory.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
bcsteve
Aspirant
Aspirant
You need to wait for the system to update status before attempting to go live. Wait until the message "Getting Status" has gone away.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Take a look at this article outlining the new features offered by the Arlo Pro base station and Arlo Pro cameras: What new features does Arlo Pro offer?

JamesC

tricountytrail
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a arlo camera which untill yesterday was working with my r7000 router with no base station.

I didn't update firmware changed batteries and I lost camera and deleted router as a device.

I couldn't ever get n7000 to appear as a base station factory reset reloaded firmware it wont let me add anything.

So my question I'm look at upgrading to Arlo Pro with base station, will my old arlo camera work with new base station?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Apparently newer firmware and interface updates have removed the router capability to be used. Don't know when that happened. Yes, any wireless Arlo cameras can be used with any base station.
georgebalanchin
Tutor
Tutor

I as know, the difference between the Arlo and Arlo Pro base stations is the processor that is faster and can function more smoothly.