Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
liebjef
Initiate
Initiate

Hello,

I just got the email about the new Arlo Pro camera today and had a question about its functionality.

My wife and I have 3 regular Arlo cameras installed around the outside of our house and love them as security cameras. We are particularly excited about the rechargeable batteries and 2 way audio features on the new cameras.

As we are expecting our first child in March, we have also been looking at baby monitors and now that audio is a part of the Arlo Pro cameras we wanted to know your thoughts on their usability for this purpose? Also, beyond being motion activated, can they also be sound activated (such as when a baby cries)? We currently just check the outdoor security Arlo cameras with our phones, but were thinking about getting a Pro camera and maybe a dedicated old iPad or something to specifically be tuned into the Pro camera as a baby monitor. Any thoughts you have on using the cameras as a baby monitor would be much appreciated!

Best,
-Jeff

4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

As more people get them , you'l prob get a better answer....

But what I can say so far, is that they will work with the older systems. tho the newer base ( which will be sold separately will upgrade the older system with a usb speed stick backup ( like the Q + ) and also that the new cam have rechargeable batteries...but,they can be also powered all the time by the ac cord.

Waiting for more info myself as to run time limits ( how long it will stay on before auto shutdown )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Paybax
Guide
Guide
I like that it's easily portable as your baby will likely not always be in the same location sleeping. We have a nest cam which does the trick but not ideal.
liebjef
Initiate
Initiate

I like that its portable easily within the house, but one of my main concerns is that (because it has its own network and base station) it is not as portable if I want to take it travelling or to a friend or family member's house. If I go to my parents for dinner and want to put the baby to bed upstairs, the Arlo camera can't come with me like a regular baby monitor could, right?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not without taking the base, too, and pluggit into their network. The Q camera would be somewhat easier since it just needs WiFi.