Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro and WiFi range and how to extend it

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Wraithlabs
Guide
Guide

I want to be able to cover my entire house with the four cameras that come with the base station. But from what i have read this can not be done with a rnage extender if the base station cant connect to all cameras. So there is no way to connect a range extender to the wifi signal being broadcasted by the base station to allow extended range for the cameras? That seems crazy! Why would Netgear limit their system like that. There is no way i would get two base stations and have to have two seperate base station profiles that need to be armed and disarmed seperatly just to cover one house. That is extremely short sighted. The ssid is being broadcasted and i see no reason why that signal could not be extended like any other wfi signal. I am wondering if i am missing something or if this is infact true. Can anyone help me here? Any info would be a great help! i have looked at the other posts and they didnt seem clear. I really need a concrete answer as to why this is and what can be done about this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

You can not extend the range of a base unit by a wifi extender....cameras talk only to the base which sets up it's own wifi network for the cameras.

But you can expand the area covered by Arlo by adding another base.

( there is no limit to the number of bases on any plan ).

A wifi extender can be use if it has an ethernet port in it to 1) centrally place a base in the area for best signal to cameras OR  2) place one base at the far end of the area ( or just plain ethernet can be use ,which has a range od 300ft) and the other base by your router.

This will give you two basically overlapping circles of coverage for each base. ( cams closest to each base get sync'ed to that base )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

You can not extend the range of a base unit by a wifi extender....cameras talk only to the base which sets up it's own wifi network for the cameras.

But you can expand the area covered by Arlo by adding another base.

( there is no limit to the number of bases on any plan ).

A wifi extender can be use if it has an ethernet port in it to 1) centrally place a base in the area for best signal to cameras OR  2) place one base at the far end of the area ( or just plain ethernet can be use ,which has a range od 300ft) and the other base by your router.

This will give you two basically overlapping circles of coverage for each base. ( cams closest to each base get sync'ed to that base )

Wraithlabs
Guide
Guide

Will I have to set up multiple profiles? To use multiple bases? Or can I add multiple bases to a single profile which can all be controlled with a single log in that will work in sync? I want to be able to view all the cameras in my house without having to switch back and forth between logins or profiles or anything. I also want to be able to set up modes such as geofencing or armed and disarmed where I can control all the cameras no matter what base station they are connected to. Will I be able to do this by having two bases in my house? Or will I have to have two seperate systems with two seperate modes and two seperate logins to control the two bases? I just want to be 100% clear on the set up before I buy a second base station.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can use an unlimited number of bases in one account but you're limited to the number of total cameras according to your plan. However, the cameras attached to each base will be unto themselves. That is, you can add camera rules only for those cameras to modes. You currently can't span base stations for camera rules. You can add kudos to any suggestions in the suggestions board here to try to make that possible.

Wraithlabs
Guide
Guide

What do you mean by plan? Are you referring to cloud recording plan? Where is that information posted in regards to limitation to cameras? I am simply trying to connect the four cameras that come with the arlo - pro 4 camera pack so I'm not worried at this time about exceeding the camera limitation. But I would like to know what the limits are. I just know that even if I centrally place the base station it will not provide strong enough signal strength to all of the cameras since my other 2.4 ghz access points do not cover my entire house. So my original question was to simply expand the range so I could connect my 4 cameras the the one base station. I just don't get why Netgear would make this choice and not allow the cameras to be operated as one in the app it self even with two base stations that does not make sense as a home security system. You are not going to type your pin into two separate alarm systems when you leave the house with a regular security system why should that be how you do it with this one?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

First, here are the plans re cameras and recording; http://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/subscription-plans.aspx

In a nutshell, there are 3 plans , FREE - 5 cams, Premier - 10 cams, Elite - 15 cams ( max # on any base ). And, tho storage limits are mentioned, they are at this point not in effect , so its unlimited ... As to bases , unlimited but 3 is prob a resonable limit.

As to not having enough Base range for your 4 cameras is something that is a big variable... The bases are limited to output power by the FCC, and wifi has differnet ranges base on what the signal has to go thru ( how many levels, building materials , etc )

So again, to answer your question, the only way to expand the range of Arlo is to add more bases...

why they designed it the way they did is above my pay grade