Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro and ORBI Router

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Is anyone using the new Orbi Router or any of the new Mesh Routers with their camera systems?

I would like to know if it has made a significant difference compared to your old routers.

8 REPLIES 8
tgabtg
Guide
Guide

I have an Orbi sitting in it's box that I will be installing in the next few days.  I just installed the Arlo Pro but am having issues with phantom motion triggers.  Once I get that worked out then I will be installing the Orbi and can give you some feedback on any improvements.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

DaveWoj wrote:

Is anyone using the new Orbi Router or any of the new Mesh Routers with their camera systems?

I would like to know if it has made a significant difference compared to your old routers.

Yes... I have been running an Orbi for a few months now with Arlo. Orbi Base is about 35 ft from the Satellite.

And, to answer , YES it has inproved the Q cameras esp as now they are running on 5 ghz... My old router was about half as strong..

Read the board for the latest info... I was having a little problem that the router would drop out my ipad for about 2-3 seconds now and then, I went back in sw versions a few to fix it... haven't tried the newest sw version as I happy as is.

Also the nice feature is when walking theu the home, devices flow right accross the Main router to satellite as the SSID and PW are all the same.

Also I was able to set up a second base plugged  into the ethernet ports on the satellite, it was working fine.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Thanks for the responses.

I'm not sure I would need a satellite. I want to start out with a base unit first to see if it improves streaming to both outdoor camera about 35 feet away.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

When I got it it was a package,  I will say the Satellite makes it that much better as a great access point with ethernet ports are the far end of home...

I can just use the main router ( just unplug the satellite ) and it does cover well . 

steve_t
Master Master
Master

DaveWoj wrote:

Thanks for the responses.

I'm not sure I would need a satellite. I want to start out with a base unit first to see if it improves streaming to both outdoor camera about 35 feet away.

I have an Orbi system in the house. It's brilliant.

Just wanting to make sure that you know that your Arlo Pro cameras only connect to the Arlo base station and that the Orbi will have no effect on that unless you move your base station to a more centralised location (which you could do by plugging the base station into an orbi satellite if the router isn't in the most central part of the house)

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

TomMac wrote:

DaveWoj wrote:

Yes... I have been running an Orbi for a few months now with Arlo. Orbi Base is about 35 ft from the Satellite.

And, to answer , YES it has inproved the Q cameras esp as now they are running on 5 ghz... My old router was about half as strong..

Read the board for the latest info... I was having a little problem that the router would drop out my ipad for about 2-3 seconds now and then, I went back in sw versions a few to fix it... haven't tried the newest sw version as I happy as is.

Also the nice feature is when walking theu the home, devices flow right accross the Main router to satellite as the SSID and PW are all the same.

Also I was able to set up a second base plugged  into the ethernet ports on the satellite, it was working fine.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

you BETA the Orbi............ 🙂

I am running my Q on a AmpliFi mesh network and it seems to run just as good as my Nighthawk AC1900.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

No, didn't Beta it... or would have found out about the IOS glich in advance.

Will say the Satellite is great for a second Base unit as it's a hi-speed AP for any device needing an ethernet port.

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Plugging in the base station to the satellite is a great option. I hadn't thought of that.

Thanks guys