Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
GPP
Tutor
Tutor

I am attempting to recharge my Arlo Pro battery for the first time.  I am using the charger that came with my Arlo Pro kit, but I get the error "The charging source connected to the camera cannot charge your battery. Please use an Arlo Pro power adapter".  What am I doing wrong?

Like I said, this is what came with the package...any suggestions for why it doesn't work?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
diannenet
Star
Star

I am having the same problem.  Only way I was able to resolve it was to open the case and reset the battery.  VERY annoying as we have only had our system two weeks and I've already had one case/issue Arlo wasn't able to solve.  I figured it out on my own.  It seems like when some of us have a common issue their response is something that is in the User Manual and we've already tried.  Otherwise, we wouldn't be contacting them.

View solution in original post

45 REPLIES 45
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

GPP,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. If you have any additional questions/concerns feel free to private message me. I would be happy to help.

JamesC

diannenet
Star
Star

I am having the same problem.  Only way I was able to resolve it was to open the case and reset the battery.  VERY annoying as we have only had our system two weeks and I've already had one case/issue Arlo wasn't able to solve.  I figured it out on my own.  It seems like when some of us have a common issue their response is something that is in the User Manual and we've already tried.  Otherwise, we wouldn't be contacting them.

mitchellbrand
Star
Star
So far 2 of my Arlo pro Batteries will not charge to 100 percent. One of the cameras reached 81 percent after being plugged in 24 hours and the other is up to 88 percent after 24 hours. Do they just take this long to recharge??? I am using the cable and power adapter that came with the arlo pro system As well. Has Anybody else seen this problem? Or am I just being impatient with the recharge time? Thanks!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That's expected behavior.  When the camera is armed and plugged in, the battery will only charge to ~80% to preserve the battery's long-term life (LIon batteries really don't want to be fully charged for long times - best life occurs when they're charged at ~40% and stopped at 80%).  Disarm the camera and charge fully.

The camera runs on 5v, the battery needs the charger's 9v to fully charge.

smenting1
Initiate
Initiate

I had the same issue and had to take several additional steps to get it to work.  I turned the camera off, removed the battery, plugged the charging cord into the camera,replaced the battery, closed the battery compartment door and then turned the camera back on.  It finally worked after that.  It may take some time to register though.  I was on hold with Arlo tech support for this issue for about 20 minutes, When I refreshedthe screen after 20 minutes, it was finally charging. No thanks to Arlo support. 😞

ARW1
Tutor
Tutor
I'm experiencing the same issue. Batteries does not recharge after being plugged in for more than 24 hours. Will try some of the suggestions I've read. If all fails...time to return the product.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ARW1,

Do you have more than one camera? If so, consider charging the battery in a different camera to further isolate the issue.

JamesC

GPP
Tutor
Tutor

Basically what I do is open the camera, pull out the battery, put it back in, and then connect the charger.  After that, it charges fine.  It's really not that big a deal...and it beats the heck out of having to replace batteries.

ARW1
Tutor
Tutor

I tried that but none of the four batteries are recharging. 

GPP
Tutor
Tutor

I'm not sure I understand your "4 batteries" comment?  There is only 1 large battery in the rechargable Arlo camera?

ARW1
Tutor
Tutor

The four cameras are not recharging. I switched the batteries for two cameras, hit the reset button and still not recharging. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ARW1,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

PennZ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo Pro definitely has very big problem, I have been using the old Arlo for 1 year now, works fine. now brought an Arlo Pro 2 days ago, twin cam pack, one cam not charging. today exchange a new one from JB Hifi, STILL,   NOT CHARGING again, furthermore, it could not sync to the station.. sooo sad, waste my whole afternoon the exchange and troubleshoot. will refund it tomorrow, so disappointed. Netgear should have done more test before selling them to public.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

PennZ,

Are you using the charging cable and power adapter that came with your system? If you using a different charger, that could be the reason your batteries are not charging.

What power adapter can I use to charge my Arlo Pro or Arlo Go batteries?

JamesC

Gunner86
Aspirant
Aspirant
I wasn't having the same issue. My driveway camera was completely dead. Pulled it down and plugged it in for a charge. It charged up to 24% and stayed there for three days while still plugged in. Obviously something was wrong or I wasn't doing something right. So I pressed the button at the top of the battery bay, pulled the battery out and re-inserted, turned the camera of via the app and it charged to 100% within and hour or two no problem. Hope this helps anyone having the same issue.
Gunner86
Aspirant
Aspirant
I was having the same issue* correction to the beginning of my original post.
Timmy256
Apprentice
Apprentice

This is clearly a product problem. I've the same happening to me with 4 different cameras, 6 different batteries and 3 original Arlo chargers. All combination of those actually end up giving me this "Not charging" error after a couple of days. I actually posted the details here: ""The charging source connected to the camera cannot charge your battery" Error With Original Charger".

Now, I usually "fixed" this by removing the battery, unplugging, plugging, several times, until it starts working again. But this last incident, the same error keeps happening over and over.

Do you guys have any other suggestions of what to try in order to fix this? It's driving me insane, because Arlo was supposed to be a simple set-up-and-forget-it kit, but I can't leave a freaking camera plugged because, ironically, it would error out and discharge itself while being plugged to the AC!

I don't know why Netgear doesn't want to recognize this as a widespread problem and always responds and throws the issue away with "Please use the original charger", as if that wasn't the case. @JamesC said in the other thread that he escalated the case. Hopefully we could get a fix for this soon.

Timmy256
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi @smenting1,

I've done what you proposed in the past and, most of the times, it seems to have worked and be able to charge the battery. Now, after having done it a zillion times, the dreaded orange light stills keep appearing, telling me that the charger isn't actually charging the batteries.

From your post, and specially this sentence: "When I refreshedthe screen after 20 minutes, it was finally charging", I gather that, "after a while", it started charging? I was under the impression that, if the blue blinking light doesn't appear the first time the battery is plugged, it's doomed to stay in that state of "not charging forever". Can you confirm me that, maybe one time, you plugged the camera, the error appeared telling you that the charger couldn't actually charge it and then, after a while, it went away and started charging?

I'm quite desperate right now, because I've exhausted every one of these workaround procedures and my batteries are depleting without being able to recharge them.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

GeordieBoy
Aspirant
Aspirant

apologies from a total newbie if I'm not following protocol but here’s my problem.

after a week's expeimenting with different charging set-ups (first time recharge) beginning with Arlo standard cable finishing with my own USB cable I have got nowhere - at least no lights appear on the unit either during charge or after 24 hours presumably on charge - no solid blue light which I understand indicates charging complete.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

GerdieBoy {Ted Davison}

GeordieBoy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Further inormation - the battery in question, removed from the camera, tests at 7.2v

Suggests it's fully charged (despite absence of blue ligh)?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The blue LED only flashes when first inserting the battery or power supply.  It will also indicate full charge if the setting for this is enabled in Settings, My Devices, your camera, Camera LED.

The battery percentage in Settings for your camera should indicate the actual charge.  What does it show? Does the camera operate with the charger connected but the battery has been removed?  Also, the charger must comply with the Qualcomm Quick Charge capability of 5v and 9v outputs of at least 1.5 amps.  Use of a different cable generally doesn't make a difference (unless it's low quality) but the charger would make a big difference.

GeordieBoy
Aspirant
Aspirant

jguerdat - appreciate swift & expert response. Will oursue.

GerdieBoy

mcardis
Initiate
Initiate

I am horribly dissapointed in this product!  I loved it initially, but since the batteries went down to recharge I have had nothing but problems.  I am frustrated by spending hours charging to discover they are not charging. I am using the power cord they came with. I am offline, yet the lights are green. I have resent/syncd the cameras. I am looking to return these cameras I have had them for barely 60 days.  I heard Best Buy will not take them back after 15 days.  I will have to have AMEX help me out with this poor product.  Netgear is very difficult to get assistance from as well. I have been working on these for over 2 weeks and still nothing.....anyone else stuck like this too?  On another note, why is the charging message saying product not compatible for charging this unit?