Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro Won't Charge

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Christopher3
Aspirant
Aspirant

I bought my arlo pro system with four cameras about three weeks ago and now its time for their first charge. I thought that this would be really easy as you just have to plug them in and they are supposed to charge. When I plug my cameras in to be charged the arlo app comes up with a message that says there is something wrong with the cable. I have tried rotating batteries from all four cameras and the app comes up with the same error message. I have also tried plugging the charging cable into the camera without the battery and it can power the cameras fine but it comes up with the same message. I have tried searching the community for answers but nothing seems to resolve the error message from coming up. i have also tried the live chat feature on the arlo customer support and it doesnt work. I am frustrated at this point and am considering taking the cameras back to the store for an exchange.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

In addition, the charger must conform to Qualcomm Quick Charge capability. The 5v and 9v outputs are a clue but not a guarantee.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Make sure the charger says Netgear or Arlo. It should also say it has both 5v and 9v outputs. If all looks right, try another charger that supplies both voltages. You can open a case with support here for warranty replacement or buy a new one.

Christopher3
Aspirant
Aspirant

I tried the arlo charger that I was supplied with when I bought the system. It would not work and I have tried multiple wall plugs including a 17V wall plug and smaller plugs for things like an iphone and ipad. I went out and bought a new micro usb charger that wasn't the arlo brand (they did not sell the arlo brand) and it keeps telling me "Incompatible charger". I returned the micro usb charger and got a different brand and it was the same thing. So I ordered a specific "Arlo charger" from amazon that says it is compatable with the Arlo pro. The reviews said that it worked well for the arlo pro camera. I can wait and see what happens with that but it wont be here for at least a week. Any other suggestions?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's hard to say from afar but I wonder if that 17v device damaged the cameras. It would be fastest to swap the system at the store. Remove all devices from Settings, My Devices if you do this and then set up the new system.

Christopher3
Aspirant
Aspirant

I tried smaller chargers at first like 5v, 8v and then looked at the instructions manual and it said that the charger has to be 15v so I went and got one that was capable of going up to 17v and only tried it on one camera. But with the smaller wall plugs the charger error kept coming up and I tried multiple cords. I even tried charging from the base station and the error kept coming up. The cameras would blink orange for about 5 seconds and would appear that they were charging and then the app would get the error message. I did try powering the camera without the battery and the new micro usb cord could do it but it would get the error code. When I cleared it, the camera was still able to work with no battery. I did buy the four camera system and maybe I should buy something that can just charge the batteries? The cameras work fine they just dont want to charge their batteries. 

Christopher3
Aspirant
Aspirant

Correction on the 17v charger, I looked at the box and it only outputs 5v so I dont know if the voltage is just too low for the camera to charge or the cable is bad, either way I have purchased another arlo camera charger that plugs into the wall and is compatable with my arlo pro's

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Th charger can run the camera t 5v but 9v is needed to charge. Nothing higher should be used and is not approved.

Christopher3
Aspirant
Aspirant

Then thats probably why my cameras are not charging. I dont have a 9v wall plug, only 8v. I will have to wait until my new arlo charger arrives to charge the cameras. Thanks for your great advice 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

In addition, the charger must conform to Qualcomm Quick Charge capability. The 5v and 9v outputs are a clue but not a guarantee.

Christopher3
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok, I'll make sure that it works when I get it but I did order the Netgear brand charger for the Arlo Pro and Pro 2. If the charger still won't charge the cameras, I will take the set back and exchange it for a new Arlo Pro set.