Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro - Will the camera ever re-connect?

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
zaydon
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just got my first Arlo, the camera is outside my house in the next room over. It seems like when I monkey around with the live view website a bit, I often lose connection with my camera. 

I had the camera down stairs all day and only used the mobile app with live view and everything was great for hours. 

So I need more testing to realize if it's purely the web based viewer causing this or the location.

Anyways, I tried rebooting the base station and the camera still doesn't reconnect. So every time the camera loses connection, do I have to go out and rescue it? i.e. Pull the batteries? 

This thing has not been very reliable in my first 12 hours of playing around but willing to give it a little chance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tratarlo
Aspirant
Aspirant
As I said, it worked briefly and that's when I saw the battery indicator as good battery. No need for the captain obvious "stuff happens" remarks. I found that by moving the base and avoiding a wall it reconnected.So far it's still connected after an hour. "Real Help, it *also* happens." haha, thanks.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'd guess it's likely due to the WiFi signal strength and/or wireless interference.  A small change in position can make a big difference although you may just need to pick a different location.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

zaydon,

Are you indicating that you're only having issues when using the web client? The mobile app allowed you to live view without issue?

As jguerdat states above, it could be an interference issue causing the camera to struggle maintaining it's connection with the base station. Consider relocating the camera and test again to further isolate if the location is causing the issue.

JamesC

zaydon
Aspirant
Aspirant

Playing around with it for a couple more days, I think I was just having disconnection problems all the time. I ended up moving the base station to another room(farther away) and it seems to stay connected. Unfortunately, living in a city my battery died in 24 hours. I'm going to lower the video quality and motion sensitivity and try again. (Really need the solar recharger ASAP)

I wish the engineers had programmed the firmware to down the interface on the camera and try to bring it back up when it can no longer connect to the base station. It seems like it never tries to make a connection with the basestation once it loses it and the only way to rescue the camera is to pull the battery. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If all is working properly, reconnection should be automatic. We've seen cases in the past where it doesn't so maybe you're getting hit with that. Try power cycling the base and maybe even removing and resyncing the camera. Maybe it just needs to get kicked in the arse.

Tratarlo
Aspirant
Aspirant
No dice. Have 4 cameras with the pro and three connected fine but the 4th disconnected after a short time and have not been able to reconnect. Tried moving it to next to the base and doing the sync but the camera won't even give me the blue light after pressing the sync. I know the battery is charged and the base has recognized it before. I was able to see video and hear audio. I know it has functionality. Not sure what else to try. Dissappointing.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Stuff happens. New cars and computers have flaws. How are you sure the battery is good?  The best thing to try is to swap batteries with a known good one.  In any event, it appears to be a hardware issue and the fastest thing to do is to return the kit to the store and swap for another.

Tratarlo
Aspirant
Aspirant
As I said, it worked briefly and that's when I saw the battery indicator as good battery. No need for the captain obvious "stuff happens" remarks. I found that by moving the base and avoiding a wall it reconnected.So far it's still connected after an hour. "Real Help, it *also* happens." haha, thanks.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Your previous description doesn't imply any of that. Any attempt to provide Internet support requires complete, accurate information.

Glad it's now working.
Tratarlo
Aspirant
Aspirant
That's why we have forums like this, to have a discussion and drill into the issue with respect to others. Most likely the first question will require more detail, not more negative attitude. If this is not possible then helping others online is probably not your thing.