Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro - What good is the extra battery I just purchased?

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
garyh526
Aspirant
Aspirant

When I purchased the Arlo Pro set, the salesman said I could purchase the extra battery so that I could have one always charged and just go up and replace the dead battery. I just found out that this method is incorrect. You can't charge batteries without the whole camera. You have to plug the charger into the camera and not the battery. So my question is, what is the purpose of what I just purchased? Why do you sell this extra accessory when you know it is of no use unless you totally need to replace a fried battery. I understand that there is another product that charges several batteries at once, but this sure isn't it and shouldnt even be sold in my opinion. Was anyone else misled by this?

7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That's a salesman/research issue.  Sorry you were misled but the chargers are available as well as the batteries - the salesman should have mentioned that.

garyh526
Aspirant
Aspirant

I agree that the salesman should have been more educated. But do you know why anyone would want to buy this?

kmiller8821
Luminary
Luminary

Sure. When I bought my Arlo system my 4 pack of cameras only came with 1 charger.  I bought the battery so I could get an extra charger so I could charge multiple cameras at once. (Since I now have 2 chargers).  I am planning on buying the external battery charger (if and when It is in stock) and then I'll use that spare battery in that charger.  Also handy for running cameras off just the charger since you don't need to have a battery in the camera to power it with the cord.  Albeit, only use that inside as the chargers and cameras aren't designed to be charged outside.

garyh526
Aspirant
Aspirant

Good points. I just have 4 outside cams, so will have to get on a ladder and retrieve them when I want to charge.

kmiller8821
Luminary
Luminary

I have 5, so I feel your pain.  However, I can tell you this.  I purchased this system in November.  I have charged my driveway camera twice and my backyard camera once.  All the others are still humming along with nearly 40% battery.  Granted, those cameras are in areas that I don't get a lot of activity (side of my house, side watching my backyard gate and my front door camera).  My backyard and driveway camera see the most actvitiy (I have since adjusted my modes so not to record the backyard during the day unless I want to watch my dog run around).  I've been pretty impressed, but I can understand how it could be frustrating if you were expecting it to charge the battery but at least you can use it so you can charge 2 cameras at once. Saves time. 

oillogger
Apprentice
Apprentice

The way Netgear is selling the extra battery has me scratching my head.  They should have sold the chargers by itself so Arlo Pro could have purchased additionally chargers to charge more than one camera at once.  Until the dual charger came out it there was no way to charge a battery outside the Arlo Pro camera so any extra batteries were only needed if you had to replace a defective battery.  Now it appears the dual charger may be available therefore extra batteries can now be utilized.  So why to I have to pay for an charger every time I buy an extra battery?!?!?!?  I will have a bunch of Arlo Pro battery chargers laying around without a need for them.  I have a four camera Arlo Pro system with plans to purchase the charger and two additional batteries.  I will end up with three regular camera chargers and one dual charger.  That way I can change the batteries in two cameras at a time and if necessary charge 1-2 other cameras at the same time.       

BigDennis57
Apprentice
Apprentice

Those extra chargers come in handy to hardwire cameras too! I have one that sees SO much traffic that it was just simpler to run the USB charger line to it and plug it in. The upside of that is that I no longer need a battery in that camera, so I now have a spare battery I can charge in my new two-battery charger! I know what you mean though, I have about four of those wall chargers in a drawer now! Thanks oillogger!