Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
ArloProVMB4000
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello, For last many weeks intermittently my Arlo Pro VMB4000 model base station is offline. Tried all possible troubleshooting methods as I have obtained from the community and support KB but no luck. I had re-set my base station and now when I tried to search for the device (to add new), the internet connection LED is off all the time. I have a perfectly working internet connection and changed different ethernet cables but no luck. Since I haven't subscribed any plans from Arlo, they are denying me a live agent to help with. Can some one please help me ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jbeal
Tutor
Tutor

Yes, that was part of the two hours of my life that I invested to get it to work.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
StrayMonkey
Tutor
Tutor

I have exactly the same issue that only recently arose. My VMB4000 base station is offline even though the "internet" (green) LED is blinking (sending data). Done all the things their "support page" suggested but no use. Unplug/plug. Power off/on. Factory reset.

I have another Doorbell EUFY security camera connected to my router and it is working fine. Basically ARLO was working fine then suddenly it is not.

Suspect Netgear have updated their firmware and forcing everybody to pay a subscription for a function that was free when we purchased it. And as you said, now we're not getting ANY tech support and forced to pay to get help from a "human". Highly unethical practice.

Can somebody please help us!

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Are you still experiencing this issue with he base appearing offline? Does the web portal show the base offline as well?

Zoof98
Initiate
Initiate

I am having the same issue VMB4000 that I have used for several years now indicating offline.

- all lights are green. middle light occasionally blinks green

- I can see that my router has assigned the base an IP address

- I can ping the base station IP address on my local network

- tried removing the device and rediscovering it. I CAN rediscover it using both the app and my web browser, but base still shows offline. The firmware update, however, that occurs automatically during discovery hangs and does not complete on both the app & the web browser.

- tried powering completely off, turning back on & rediscovering - same result

- tried factory reset - same result

- changed 2.4 GHz channel on my router to ensure no WiFi interference - same result

- reinstalled the app on my phone & verified the latest version - same result

- all other network devices on my home network are working

- nothing about my setup has changed since the cameras worked last, which was earlier in November

I have thoroughly searched the Arlo knowledge base & tried everything listed above along with several other remedies, such as changing my LAN cable, changing router port, etc.

Request suggestions on the way ahead. Thanks.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I've had a base (possibly the same model - I forget) that appeared to be working but didn't. Switching to a different base worked fine. I'm not sure what would cause this but...

jbeal
Tutor
Tutor

Exact same thing on my end! Arlo worked perfectly, until a week ago with new app and whatever else was launched. Great way to piss off customers and force them to go to another ecosystem. i just wasted a couple hours doing the same thing. tried support to "speak, with an agent" and it's a chatbot. Arlo you make it impossible to want to do business with you. Ring on the other hand has great support and they haven't messed with their ecosystem. guess i'll need to trash the Arlo's and buy a couple more outdoor Rings

StrayMonkey
Tutor
Tutor

Yes. Problem still exists. Base is still offline. Cameras are connected to the base. 

It is an issue at Netgear's end. Something has changed with either the firmware or the server it connects to. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@StrayMonkey wrote:

It is an issue at Netgear's end. 

FYI, Arlo was divested from Netgear back in 2018.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@StrayMonkey

Have you tried to reboot or factory reset?

jbeal
Tutor
Tutor

Yes, that was part of the two hours of my life that I invested to get it to work.

ArloProVMB4000
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes I had to shut down and re-set multiple times to get the base station back on line. Thank you for all the support!

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thank you for the updates. 

jbeal
Tutor
Tutor

Hi, when you say multiple times, how many are we talking about?  I tried 2-3 times to no avail and gave up.  Pretty set i am going just toss these Arlo cams in the trash and buy a couple outdoor Rings.

StrayMonkey
Tutor
Tutor

OK. SUCCESS! 

I did a factory reset as per instructions by pushing the pin at the back of the base station for 10s, then it rebooted. 

Note: My base station was still connected to my router via ethernet. 

Within the Arlo (Android) app:

Then I followed the procedure of removing the base station from the app and re-added the base station once the unit was fully rebooted.  (When I removed the base station from the app, it automatically removed all the connected cameras as well. ) 

Finally I added all my cameras back (Add New Device). 

The whole process probably took me 20-30min including adding 3 cameras. 

All is back to normal. Phew!

Thank you everyone.

PS: I believe it was an update that took place on the 1st Dec 2022 that screwed everything up.