Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
jbast01
Initiate
Initiate

I had an incident at my home and throughout my neighborhood regarding several car break ins and car thefts. My camera luckily picked up the motion in my driveway when the car pulled up to the house. It recorded him for 16 seconds which was long enough to see him start to look into my vehicle and then cut off and it didn't start recording again. I have had these cameras for a little over a month and this is the first time I have truly needed them and I feel like they failed to do their job. I have each of my 5 cameras sensitivity at 75% or higher and set to record until he motion stops. For some reason 16 seconds seems to be the common amount of time that they all record for regardless of motion or activity. I do have instances where they record longer, but each instance is a little different. I do know that most of them that cut off after 16 seconds are cutting off during motion. Any help/suggestions is appreciated. Thank you!

57 REPLIES 57
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

@DesignoSLKwrote:

pc2k17, I wasn't aware there were height and angle limitations. Admittedly, I didn't read the instructions beyond pairing them to the base. Okay...I'll fully read the manual. Robot Embarassed

Not really limitations, just recommendations for the best motion detecting experience. Check this article out, should help you.....

https://kb.arlo.com/37/How-do-I-position-my-Arlo-Wire-Free-or-Arlo-Pro-Wire-Free-camera

DesignoSLK
Star
Star

@pc2k17wrote:

Not really limitations, just recommendations for the best motion detecting experience. Check this article out, should help you.....

https://kb.arlo.com/37/How-do-I-position-my-Arlo-Wire-Free-or-Arlo-Pro-Wire-Free-camera

Hmmm...good info. But, I believe I'm within those recommendations. 😕

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

@DesignoSLK

If your within the recommendations and you still can't record longer than 16 seconds when using record until motion stops, then maybe you have a bad camera. I just had 3 video clips in my garage, one for 18 seconds, one for 46 seconds, and another for 2 minutes 6 seconds.

If you can't get it to work correctly, you might want to open a case with support, especially if your still under the 1 year warranty.

Rdeems
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just bought two cameras and the base station and am also having these problems no matter what the mode setting.

It is frustrating to get a motion alert and check it and see the video stop in mid stream of the activity. I have maxed out the recording time once motion detected to 120 seconds. Still freezes around 15 seconds. Also tried recording until activity stops. The video recorded in this mode usually freezes around 10 seconds or less.

My enthusiasm is wearing off quickly.  Email and text notifications are inconsistent with long delays with receiving the notifications. My cameras are plugged in continuously.

My version is 2.4.9. I am working through Alexa Show which works quite well and shows the camera display within 5 seconds of being asked.  Just need to fix the recording time issues and notifications.

Rdeems
Aspirant
Aspirant

Update to my previous post. Don’t know what happened but the very next day everything started working correctly. All detected motion records for my setting of two minutes.No more frozen video. All notifications are very timely. Everything is working perfectly and I am very satisfied. 

imaginearlowrx
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same issue. All my camera record for 16 seconds and then the image freezes. This happens on 80% of the recordings. Though I have it set to record for a minute after motion.

Redmoonstar
Luminary
Luminary

I have been having this issue since the May firmware upgrade, before that all 5 of my camera's recorded for the correct set times. I have had 2 replacement base stations, removed all the camera's from base and reset base and they still DO NOT work to the set times. I have changed modes, deleted modes and redone new ones. I have had a case open with support since May but that has now disappeared from my Netgear. I contacted support again on 13th June regarding tjhis and have had no response since. Nothing has changed with my set up that I have had since November 17, my internet hasn't changed, the only thing that changed was the May firmware and it is still going on and now my motion detection is terrible, all camera's set to 100% and they miss 40 - 50% of motion. If they were recording to the set times I wouldn't have this problem! We have employees coming and going an example is an employee drove in the yard camera set to record for 85secs, recorded for 14 secs, employee got out of the car no recording from same camera. This happens all the time now! Very unhappy customer.

AudioMWB
Aspirant
Aspirant

Another person chiming in with this issue. My mind is blown at how long this issue has been reported on here with "just set it to a set time" and "well maybe the movement went outside the detection zone" being the go-to answers. No. Those aren't answers and it just makes it ever more abundantly clear that Netgear doesn't care to fix a well documented issue.

I just got these cameras running a few days ago after a friend recommended them. As an example of this feature failing miserably, I had a solicitor come to my door today while gone. I got the notification and checked it. 
What I got was his car pulling up to the curb, him walking up my driveway, and still moving, almost up my steps the recording just stops. Exactly at 16 seconds.... but it's just "the motion not being in the zone", right? coincidentally RIGHT at 16 seconds every time? I'm to believe that directly in front of the camera, maybe 3 feet from it, center of the viewing area is "outside" the detection zone? What an incredible $400-600 joke of a product.