Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro Portable HD

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
ralfyguy1
Luminary
Luminary

Can I use a Portable Hard Drive that has no power supply with the Arlo Pro Base Station, or would this overload the USB port? I don't want to get a ordinary Hard Drive that is constantly running. Otherwise I considered a inexpensive 128GB USB Flash Drive. But for the about same money you could get a Portable HD with way more storage.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes. There's no need for the extra speed of USB3.x since there's never enough data flowing to require it. Use of a USB3.x device would make downloading to a computer faster, though.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

In the USB 1.0 and 2.0 specs, a standard downstream port is capable of delivering up to 500mA (0.5A); with USB 3.0, it moves up to 900mA (0.9A).

Many HDs require more...

a 16gb or so will provide a lot of storage.

I find the speed stick easier, BTW, as it must be removed to view the files anyway ( and it's simple )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
ralfyguy1
Luminary
Luminary

So Arlo Pro is USB 2.0?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes. There's no need for the extra speed of USB3.x since there's never enough data flowing to require it. Use of a USB3.x device would make downloading to a computer faster, though.

ralfyguy1
Luminary
Luminary

I decided on a Sandisk USB 3.0 128GB Flash Drive for $35. That should last a couple of years of recordings.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

One thing to remember is that a USB3 drive doesn't necessarily mean it transfers data that fast. Many thumb drives peak out at well below USB2 speeds. It's the electronics inside (memory chip and/or controller) that make the difference. Check out comparisons for sustained transfer rates between various drives if speed is important to you.