Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras|NETGEAR

The Arlo Community

Learn, explore, ask questions, and connect with our community of customers and experts.

Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Top Contributors
Caught on Arlo Video Contest
Share Video

Share Your Video!
Caught something cool on Arlo? Share it with the Arlo Community.

Post a video
Aspirant

Arlo Pro, Pixel 2, Geofencing - Stuck In Zone

Hello everyone, need help. I've got a S8+, wife has the Pixel 2. When we leave the house, I am out of zone in geofencing mode, but she never changes from "in zone" to "out of zone". Tried resetting to factory settings, tried new accounts, tried name changes, tried switching, then saving then backing out, then switching back, then saving, it all reverts back to staying "in zone". We need to manually change it everytime we leave. Please help. I know someone has the solution here somewhere.

Model: VMC4030 | Arlo Pro Wire-Free Camera
Message 2 of 17
Aspirant

Geofencing Erratic At Best

The Geofencing on our Arlo Pro 2 works some days and not others.  It is very frustrating.  My girlfriend and I are both registered with the account and we each have a phone registered (iPhone X and Galaxy S9+). It will work as expected for a week, and then one day it won't register that one or both of the phones are out of the area.  Other times it will work for my girlfriend's phone but won't acknowledge that my phone is in the house no matter what I do.  I can even go to the devices list in the geofencing settings and it shows the dot for my phone smack dab in the middle of the fence area, but still says it is "Out of Zone".  Both phones have location settings enabled of course.  How can it know the location of the phone well enough to pinpoint it on a map but still not recognize that it is in the circle?

I'm past the return time on the system unfortunately.  It worked just well enough to string me along.  But it is unusable for days at a time then it will magically start working again.  I really want to get this fixed but if I can't I'm going to have to leave a bunch of negative reviews for this thing.  I wouldn't buy it again know how poorly the geofencing works.

Model: VMC4030P | Arlo Pro 2 Wire-Free Camera
Message 1 of 17
Highlighted
Tutor

New iPhone App - Geofencing Still Useless!....

I noticed this week that Netgear have updated the Arlo app for my iphone. Good news is that at least the app recognises when my phone is in the home zone or out (Oh Netgear, wow, that only took 12 months!) but it still shows my wife's phone as "unavailable". Further to this, even when I disable the second account so that it is only my phone that controls the arming of the system, when I go out of the geofencing zone, the system still shows as "disarmed" but records motion anyway.

Netgear, this is an epic failure on your behalf, you should be ashamed of the product that you have sold here, it is absolute highway robbery!!!....... #netgearepicfail

Message 3 of 17
Arlo Employee

Re: Arlo Pro, Pixel 2, Geofencing - stuck in zone

JasonP911,

Does your wife have any battery optimization features running on her phone?

Message 4 of 17
Arlo Employee

Re: New iPhone App - Geofencing Still Useless!....

chocdb,

Which phone and OS does your wife have?

Message 5 of 17
Arlo Employee

Re: Geofencing erratic at best

bplunkett,

What firmware version is your base station running?

Message 6 of 17
Arlo Employee

chocdb,

Have you tried to reboot your base station and devices? you can also try and remove and re-install your Arlo Mobile App

Message 7 of 17
Tutor

I tried that based on this suggestion.... no change. Phone still shows as "unavailable"....

Message 8 of 17
Arlo Employee

chocdb,

Are there any special characters in the phone's name? ("  '  . .etc)

Message 9 of 17
Tutor

No, one is A7P001 and the other is J7P001....

Message 10 of 17
Aspirant

No she doesn't.
Message 11 of 17
Arlo Employee

chocdb,

Have you tried to download Apple's new IOS on your devices & test again?

Message 12 of 17
Aspirant

Re: Geofencing erratic at best

Hello Shayne,

I'm running 1.12.0.0_27099 on my hub.  It says there are no updates available.

Sorry for the late reply, I wasn't notified anyone had replied to my questions.

Message 13 of 17
Aspirant

Hi Shayne,

I have a + in my phone's name.  Does that matter?  I would imagine many people do, e.g. "Frank's iPhone".

Message 14 of 17
Arlo Employee

bplunkett,

What device are you using? You can try and remove any special characters/symbols from the device name and test again to see if this helps with the issue you are experiencing.

Message 15 of 17
Aspirant

Anybody have any luck yet? Wife doesn't have battery op apps running, rebooted phone. Hard reboot on Arlo systems, even created new signons. No special characters. Whats next?

Model: VMB3000 | Arlo Base Station, VMC4030 | Arlo Pro Wire-Free Camera
Message 16 of 17
Aspirant

Re: Geofencing not working

Same here. Have two IPHONES one of them is just ignored. If I leave with my phone it GF switches to away mode although my wifes phone is still shown "in zone". If my wife leaves (and I am at home) it shows home mode which would be correct. In other word the systems reacts the same as if there would not be a secound phone. Cameras + Phones + App at latest versions. Tried reinstall APPS, restart cameras. 

This is very annoying as this problem was already fixed some time in June and reappeard with the new app. I think it is inacceptable that new versions are released badly tested with basic functionalities not working properly. It also seems that known problems are just ignored. A security system that is not reliable is just not worth the money, its useless. 

Message 17 of 17