Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro Motion Detection Methods & Image Quality vs. Arlo (regular)

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
dnice191
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi all, 

Is infrared the only way Arlo Pro detects motion? I've read some reviews where people say their Arlo Pro detects motion up to 100ft away but I know 20-24ft is technically the range, right? What's going on with that?

I've read that Arlo Pro detects/records motion significantly sooner than the regular Arlo. What's causing this? Is there just faster hardware in Arlo Pro?

Is there a difference in image quality between Arlo Pro and Arlo (regular)?

Thanks! 

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes, IR is the detection method. 100 feet away is likely from cars/trucks which are reflecting the sun's IR - people detection maxes out at 20-25 feet. The Pro does detect better due to the dual PIRs used. Newer hardware may also be part of the explanation. Video quality is essentially the same although the Pro has a wider angle of view - 130 degrees vs. 110. That also means you need to be more careful about placement since too much in the camera's view can reduce the detection effectiveness.

dnice191
Aspirant
Aspirant
Wow, great insight. That definitely seems to be why the cars get picked up.

So you mentioned more in the camera’s view can reduce effectiveness. What do you mean by this?

Is there any way to increase the speed of the motion detection of the regular Arlo? I’m wondering if you can position it in such a way to attempt to pick up motion earlier. My reason being I can get 4 Arlo cameras for the price of 2 Arlo Pro cameras and technically I need 4 to cover my entire home. I could always add Arlo Pro 2 or Arlo Pro later on if I feel I need it.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

By reducing effectiveness I mean that you're not aiming at the real are of interest. Do you really want to watch airplanes go by? Concentrate the camera's view as best as possible so it is watching a door and/or the sidewalk leading to it.

You can set up rules so one camera detects but triggers recording on another and vice versa. For strters, though, motion is best detected across the FOV, not directly at the camera. It doesn't have to be perpendicular to the camera view but the closer you get to that, the sooner detection will happen. It's just like with motion detection outdoor lights.

dnice191
Aspirant
Aspirant
Gotcha. I think I’ll be okay on the detection delay as I intend to keep the house in view. So theoretically, once someone walks across the FOV, if their intended target is my doors or windows, they’ll still be in view even well after they are first detected.

I guess now I have to debate losing the siren if I go with Arlo regular. I have a Canary so I could always activate that siren but two sirens are better than one and also there would be a short delay before I can activate Canary’s siren.