Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro Microphones/ speaker waterproof?

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Unknownpanic
Initiate
Initiate

Hey, not sure if this is a stupid question as I know the cameras are waterproof....But...

I need the camera set upside down outside which would expose the microphone/speaker to the elements. As the speakers are normally set on the bottom, i'm unsure if it rained directly on the speaker it would affect the life of the speaker/microphone and camera in general. 

Does anyone know if this would be the case or not?

Thanks in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Unknownpanic,

As mentioned, installing Arlo Pro cameras upside down outside is within the scope of intended use. Arlo Pro cameras are weatherproof and this method of installation should not cause any issues. For more information, see here: Are Arlo Pro Wire-Free cameras weatherproof?

JamesC

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I wouldn't say "waterproof" , but would say water resistant.

I've had my out in pouring rain, snow, etc and nary a problem  ( in uncovered area mounted on tree trunk )

It does have a year warranty too.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

dupe question;

I wouldn't say "waterproof" , but would say water resistant.

I've had my out in pouring rain, snow, etc and nary a problem  ( in uncovered area mounted on tree trunk )

It does have a year warranty too.

Unknownpanic
Initiate
Initiate

Hi TomMac, 

Thanks for the reply. I'm aware it can stay outside (as mine currently is) 

My main worry is the speaker being exposed to the rain directly. When fitted the correct way up the speaker will be on the underside, Unsure if this is where it just happens to face when it was finally finished or a design choice by Arlo due to the speaker being a little weaker in regards to water resistance. Does anyone have the camera mounted upside down and outside? If so is this affecting the audio quailty/ general life of the unit?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Haven't hear of a problem yet... In all honesty, I can remember only 2-3 cameras that had water problems on the site in 2 yrs. (  of both arlo and pro )

Most were the o-ring at the battery door problems.  If you think about it the sync botton is right on top too.

Good question tho.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The only thing I could think of that could be an issue would be pointing the camera straight up to take videos of low-flying airplanes.  I'll wager the speaker/mic cones are plastic and are sealed into their mounts.  Simply inverting the camera really isn't any different that normal installation in this regard - it changes the location little and makes no difference as to the sealing.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Unknownpanic,

As mentioned, installing Arlo Pro cameras upside down outside is within the scope of intended use. Arlo Pro cameras are weatherproof and this method of installation should not cause any issues. For more information, see here: Are Arlo Pro Wire-Free cameras weatherproof?

JamesC

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Just to add to this since it is kind of related.

The Pro Skin is designed to be installed on the camera one way only.

Which to me is "another" oversignt on the part of the Netgear Design Team.

The Hood extends more on the top than the bottom (for some reason). As a pro photographer I can only assume it is for sun glare.

However, if the camera is mount 180 degrees it changes the intended design.

Figure that one out.

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I'm sure the hood is also to keep some of the elements off the face too, but regardless, turning it upside down defeats it's intended purpose somewhat.