Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 12 In Conversation
JPGQ
Initiate
Initiate

I have formatted the usb drive for the Arlo Pro base station, videos recorded onto the USB when played on my computer appear to be only showing a fraction of the entire frame in the recording.  It is MP4 format, I have tried viewing with multiple media players - all showing the same thing.

How do I get the local storage usb to display the same video that is recorded in the cloud?

19 REPLIES 19
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I suppose that could be either the drive or the base. Have you power cycled the base as well as tried a different drive? If nothing else, open a case using g the Contact Support link at the bottom of the desktop version of these pages.

JPGQ
Initiate
Initiate

Yes have done both, power cycled and switched drives.  I'm using USB thumb drives.  Wouldn't think that would make a difference?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
I've used both a powered hard drive and a thumb drive with no issues.
SubieRX
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the exact same issue.  Video played from local storage is only showing a portion of the video frame (looks super zoomed in).  This is the case whether I use VLC or Quicktime.

Interestingly enough... the thumbnail that shows up at the bottom of the folder shows the entire frame.  I guess this suggests that this might be a video player settings issue, but this is the only time I've run into this issue before.  I've also tried adjusting the zoom and aspect ratio settings to no avail.

Anyone else have a few ideas?

morowe
Aspirant
Aspirant

I too am having the same problem.  Just purchased the Arlo Pro 4 camera kit the other day and got around to testing the local video storage today.  Tested it with two cameras... both recorded correctly to the cloud (video, audio, and duration) and both recorrd incorrectly to the local storage.  The audio and duration were recorded correctly to the local storage but the video is way off in both Quicktime and VLC (latest versions).  The video dimension in both clips are 16 x 32, thumbnail shows the same thing as the video - what appears to be a zoomed in single frame.

MichaelRogers
Apprentice
Apprentice
I have the same issue when adding the videos to my Plex media server. However, my Infuse 5 App on Apple TV (4th gen) plays them correctly. This is pretty strange...
Toolking
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am also having the same issue. Cloud videos are fine, the USB videos are blurry, like the camera is zoomed in to the max and focused on something close. The audio is fine, the length of recording is exactly the same as cloud version. I have tried several different USB sticks, versions 3.0 and 2.0. Switched ports on the base station, with the same results. I am viewing with VLC on a Window PC and Quick time on a Mac, no difference. What is strange is the thumbnail picture on the USB drive is viewable with VLC before starting the video. I have also noticed that when the USB ports are empty, the web version of the software in Safari shows a SD device and instead of a USB. 

manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I will test this when I get home. I have a HDD plugged into mine but haven't looked at any of the videos on it yet.

expsholtes11
Aspirant
Aspirant

I too am having this issue! Is there any solution to this problem? I have tried cycling and using different usb drives and still get the same zoomed in frames. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
I'd have to guess it's a viewer thing. Try VLC - it's free and I know it works here.
brianeight
Tutor
Tutor

I have just discovered this issue as well. I have tried Quicktime and VLC. Has anyone discovered a solution?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Sounds like a computer issue. What computer and OS? Have you rebooted?
brianeight
Tutor
Tutor
Was the solution to the problems listed above to reboot the computer? I have experienced the same problems. I'm on a Mac laptop, trying both Quicktime and VLC. Neither of them will play the videos.
MicklePDX
Aspirant
Aspirant

@jguerdat - Regarding looking at the PC, same issue here. Base station is VMB4000r3, firmware is 1.8.2.4_10232.  Local storage is USB Thumbdrive with many GB of available space. Computer is Macbook Pro Mid-2012, OS X 10.11, Quicktime 10.4.  Base unit has been power cycled several times, along with Mac.  

All locally stored MP4 files (from both of my Arlo Pro cameras) appear zoomed in to the extreme, and not usable.  The cameras are recording video properly into the cloud.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Interesting.  Try viewing the files on the USB stick on a different computer.  Also, be sure you're using the latest versions of VLC or whatever.  This has been reported a few times before and I _think_ it was resolved by updating the viewing software.

MicklePDX
Aspirant
Aspirant

@jguerdat Well now I feel stupid.  The only thing I didn't try was swapping PCs.  The files look OK on a Thinkpad with Windows.  My Mac Quicktime is up to date, but I can see I need a different viewer.  Thanks

brianeight
Tutor
Tutor

Update for all you Mac users.... make sure you are using VLC version 2.2.4. I was on a slightly older version and it would not work. Neither would Quicktime. Upgrading VLC fixed my problem.

paulmike3
Apprentice
Apprentice

I concur this is a viewer problem. Had the issue on my laptop but no problems on the desktop. Desktop VLC is kept up to date - laptop VLC is old.

johnny5lives
Tutor
Tutor

I was using Quicktime on MacOS and it did the same thing with extremely zoomed in. I checked the same MP4s from the USB drive and it works in VLC 2.2.1. 

Glad it worked in one video player, but still odd Quicktime is zoomed in and blurred. I've never encountered that in all my many years using a Mac.