Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro - How Easily Deactivate Motion Detection for entry/exit of household?

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
synapse88
Tutor
Tutor

New Arlo user here, so apoligies for the [hopefully] basic question, but how can I easily deactivate motion detection for my cameras? I don't want my email/phone to get lit up every time I go check my mail or run to the store.

Any strategies? I dug through the settings but didn't see anything.

Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11
Streak2
Master Master
Master
A few options.
Use mode to disarm the cameras.
Turn off notifications under mode.
Scott2ya
Luminary
Luminary
There is a default mode called "disarm". You can also create your own modes and get pretty creative and even set a schedule. I often change modes. For instance, when I let my dog out after 9pm, I have a mode that keeps my front camera on but turns the back off, then I change it back to my schedule when she comes back inside.
JerryR
Luminary
Luminary

What I would like to see is a button in the app/web site that temporarily disarms all (or previously selected) cameras. Either a specified time period is used or until the next scheduled  mode. Having it automatically rearm avoids having to go back to the app a second time and eliminates the possibility of the user forgetting.

synapse88
Tutor
Tutor

I'm wondering if a combination of Tasker + NFC tags can accomplish this. Have NFC tags by your house's exit points, as well as in your vehicle(s) to fire up Tasker to temporarily disable motion detection for your camera zone(s).

Any thoughts? I figure I hope someone has already done this

JerryR
Luminary
Luminary

As an example, I did some yard work in my front yard today. as a test, I didn't disarm the front cameras and managed to record almost 30 clips of myself trimming, cleaning up, moving the garbage can, etc. What a waste of battery power.

Scott2ya
Luminary
Luminary
It's pretty easy to change the mode. The hard part is creating a mode to suit your needs. For example, I have a dog, so I created a mode to keep my front two cameras on, and turn off my back 3 so my dog doesn't trigger my cameras constantly. When I let her back in, I set it back to schedule.
synapse88
Tutor
Tutor
Sure, I agree it's easy to open the app and disarm your system to go check the mail or leave the house (then rearm it), but I need something more seamless than opening an app twice etc. At that rate it's easier to leave it armed/get the notifications and delete/ignore.
JerryR
Luminary
Luminary

Of course, more "false" recordings shortens your overall battery life. Smiley Indifferent

Scott2ya
Luminary
Luminary
I've only had my system a couple of weeks now, and I've created about 5 different modes, my schedule that I leave it on most of the time utilizes 3 of those modes. I've tweeked my schedule and the modes almost on a daily basis during my first two weeks. It would be nice if Arlo could read my mind 😁. I can't wait to see it works with ifttt and OK Google. it will be nice being able to set with just my voice.
Fizerb
Aspirant
Aspirant
How did you do that? When I go to create a mode it won’t let me uncheck motion unless sound is checked.
Scott2ya
Luminary
Luminary
Just don't include the camera in the schedule and it won't be activated.