Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Apprentice
Apprentice

My default browser is Chrome (latest version) and I have been using Arlo Pro cams for over a year. Recently I started getting messages after opening the Arlo app on Windows 7 to update to the latest flash player version. I do so but in subsequent instances of opening the app I get the same message. I read past threads about changing the setting for Arlo to always allow flash but seems this option is no longer available. What to do? NG should fix this BS. Who uses flash these days anyway? I think Chrome is phasing out flash. The options now are to completely block or allow episodically but I see no option to allow certain sites to use flash. Thanks in advance for any qualified knowledgeable help!

100 REPLIES 100
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@schumaku wrote:

I've tried to post some 1-2-3-4-5 images above, unfortunately these are still not moderated. How unprofessional Arlo moderators!!!

It's the weekend. Like many businessesd, employees have that time off.

schumaku
Master
Master

@jguerdat wrote:

@schumaku wrote:

I've tried to post some 1-2-3-4-5 images above, unfortunately these are still not moderated. How unprofessional Arlo moderators!!!

It's the weekend. Like many businessesd, employees have that time off.

‎The post referred was created 04-01-2019 12:24 PM GMT+0100 - this does translate to 03-January-2019 03:24 PM -0800 PST. That's Thursday afternoon, on a weekday. Might be weekend already in France. 8-)

And yes, AM/PM time scheme is very special - in fact it's so special it should be abandoned in the Arlo Web Client. The rest of the world (outside of North America) is on a 24 h clock. And it's still not changed today.

Arlo is mostly a consumer product, where people spend more time on weekends and holidays, and the Arlo products are sold in markets all around the world, so a 24*7 basic community coverage for special problems like Spam/Scam and better customer care should be standard.

Every Spam monkey can create new accounts, immediately post URLs, add attachments - all completely unchecked. Senior users with 2341 posts continue to be under mandatory moderation for embedded/inline pictures or videos. And now we get - false - lectures on weekends. Tsk tsk tsk.

---
Please click on thumbs up if this answer was useful - thank you!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Really? If that was a lecture, you have a thin skin. And I also have all images moderated before they can show. The file attachment is the workaround.

vaporland
Guide
Guide

the point is, we should not have to enable a known security vulnerability in order to access security software over the web.

all the equivocating in the world won't change that simple fact.

not to mention insulting browbeating from arlo fanb0is. you're not doing your cause any good - quite the contrary.

FWIW I use the Brave browser because I don't like google's snoopy ways, and Brave does not support enabling flash in any way, shape or form, so i have to install Chrome just to view live feeds on my laptop. but --- not for long.

I am looking forward to selling my arlo system (14 cameras, 3 base stations, for sale now!) and getting a Ring system to replace it.

I had a large investment in Arlo but I am bailing.

Netgear made their money, but they won't get another cent from me.

my Arlo subscription expires the end of this month. if i don't have HTML5 views of live cameras in a web browser before then, its adios amigos.

schumaku
Master
Master

@vaporland wrote:

the point is, we should not have to enable a known security vulnerability in order to access security software over the web.

Unrelated to be a fanboy or whatever, we're helping Arlo customers who are asking and having problems. Trying to spread scare about what is probably still the world most used Web browser is not the right thing here. If the requirements are Flash they are. Many businesses still maintain and operating IE because legacy requirements. Earlier decades even some legacy Mozilla versions, ... As of now, Flash is not globally enabled - and this is what Chrome and other browser makers do enforce during the controlled phase-out - the former global controls to enable it are gone.

Anyway, I am fully backing comments ref the Arlo Web UI and the App consistency - it's a big mess on both the Web and the App sides.

@vaporland wrote:

The hardware is pretty good, if very expensive compared to other solutions, but the software's user interface is clunky, buggy and inconsistent across all platforms: mobile and web.

(I design UI for a living so I know of what I speak. Poor UI is a common problem in the home security space, but IMHO netgear/arlo's UI is abysmal).

Left several similar comments on an ongoing test with Arlo ... Not sure you we will get a full HTML5 based live view by mid of January. Doubt they will be fast enough ...

---
Meglanon99
Aspirant
Aspirant

[Model: VMB4000]

Did you disable both of these?

Flash Overlay Scrollbars After Any Scroll Update
  Flash Overlay Scrollbars When Mouse Enter

Thanks!

schumaku
Master
Master

@Meglanon99 wrote:

[Model: VMB4000]

Did you disable both of these?

Flash Overlay Scrollbars After Any Scroll Update
  Flash Overlay Scrollbars When Mouse Enter

Complete unrelated to the Flash runtime requirement - these controls are related to the alternate overlay scrollbars to gain more usable screen display space - instead of reserved space for the scrollbars, Chrome allows to generate scrollbars inside of the display area. 

Chrome Overlay Scrollbars.PNG 

---
Joseph700
Initiate
Initiate

I do not wish to disrespect jguerdat's desire to be helpful. However, with all due respect, it is really bad advice to inform non-technical users how to make their systems less secure.

I am an IT Consultant with nearly 30 years experience. I can tell you that experience teaches me that most users "just want their devices to work." They will thank you for your bad advice, right before following you blindly down that dark alley, only to find out later they have increased their chances of getting mugged. 

Re shumaku's comment: It is not spreading fear to remark on known vulnerablities. If this were recent, then I could get on board with your defense of legacy software using legacy protocols. However, the raw badness of Flash Player has been in mainstream consciousness for many years, and was known to IT professionals for many years before that. Revamping a Web UI should not take many years for a company with the resources of Netgear. 

The advice about enabling Flash Player is like telling people to leave their doors unlocked at night. 

The danger concerning the Flash Player has been known for YEARS. It is not a recent thing.

https://gizmodo.com/the-zombie-that-is-adobe-flash-grows-even-more-dangerou-1764262643

Suggesting that we disable browser security by using workarounds to enable the Adobe Flash player is NOT a solution to this issue.  That workaround is not acceptable in the long term. The solution must come from Netgear. They need to fix this. 

Like others have stated in here, if this matter is not resolved, it will become a sticking point for the Arlo brand. 

What I would like to see in this forum, is a response from the Arlo WebDev team, or even a Netgear marketing person, detailing that Netgear is aware of the severity of this issue and has plans to upgrade the website. They keep releasing new products, so I assume they plan to stay in business. Therefore, so making newer versions of the software more usable and more secure should be an ongoing thing.

Netgear -- Good support is good marketing. Please try to be more responsive.

schumaku
Master
Master
Nobody did suggested to globally re-enable Flash opening up any rat holes.. Matter of fact,. recent builds of.modern browsers don't allow this anymore. All we have to allow Flash to run on this specific Web site. This does not add. major risk, and is acceptable for the time being.

You behave like those security geeks still claiming SMB 1.0/CIFS does continue to be vulnerable as reported in the news. Now to access legacy storage devices the feature is still required, and for the sake of it the vulnerabilities have been addressed on both Windows and SAMBA essentially the same day the vulnerabilities were published back then.

Of course Arlo does know and certainly work on replacing the remaining Flash applet usage. No need for hype warnings..

---
JGMcG
Tutor
Tutor

Interesting workarounds suggested in this thread do not seem to work for everyone.

After numerous unimpressive sessions with Tech Support (I was instructed to try different browsers, change my password [“This is essential!” I was told], buy a new computer, contact my ISP and tell them to increase my speed, provide additional feedback, then told that they were still waiting for additional feedback from me, and being disconnected twice [“Hello?Hello? If you don’t answer I am going to have to disconnect the call...”] the latest instruction was to wait 24-48 hours and try logging in again.

At least they are very polite about putting me on hold, and always apologize for keeping me waiting. I hope they really are fixing this Flash issue.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

So give us details about your computer, OS, what browser(s) you've tried, what solutions you've tried, what you see, etc., etc. More details are useful.

schumaku
Master
Master

@JGMcG wrote:

Interesting workarounds suggested in this thread do not seem to work for everyone.

No workarounds - just a guided process allowing Flash to run on the site.

What does not work for you?

On Chrome, you have to click the Update nag message, then allow Flash to run. On Firefox, click on the video views "Run Flash..." and then confirm you want to run.

Should there be some Internet security garbage prohibiting to run Flash on your system - complain with the makers of this stuff, not with Arlo.

Chrome 73 (Beta) - Chrome 74 (Canary) - Firefox 65.0:

Arlo Flash Chrome Beta 73.PNG

Arlo Flash Chrome Canary 74.PNGArlo Flash Firefox 65.PNG

---
kart56
Guide
Guide

tried that does not work.

schumaku
Master
Master

@kart56 wrote:

tried that does not work.

Tried what exactly? What actions taken? What browser? Any Internet security *** in place?

---
jhex7000
Guide
Guide

For me the problem with Chrome, despite setting the site options for Flash for website - https://arlo.netgear.com:443 -

you still get the message to update Flash whenever you open Chrome for the first time. Then after getting the prompt to allow, you are presented with the logon screen again. Its just annoying.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Where are you setting that option? Are you on the latest version of Chrome?  The only option I know of in recent releases is to manually enable Flash for the site each time Chrome is restarted.

WHen I enable Flash, it does reload the page but I don't have to log in again - it lands directly back on the Devices tab.

schumaku
Master
Master

@jhex7000 wrote:

For me the problem with Chrome, despite setting the site options for Flash for website you still get the message to update Flash whenever you open Chrome for the first time.

There is no permanent setting available indeed. Still don't understand why Arlo is unable or unwilling to enhance the browser detection and provide a better information instead of the misleading Flash update blurb.

@jhex7000 wrote:

Then after getting the prompt to allow, you are presented with the logon screen again. Its just annoying.

Yes, interestingly things behave different here than on Edge or Firefox. On Chrome, there is indeed a new login enforced why ever.

@jguerdat: Yes, this is the behaviour of the current Chrome, the Beta channel Chrome, and the Chrome Canary build.

---
User868Name
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is how I resolved this issue for Windows 10.

If you try to install Flash in IE it will tell you its built into Windows 10 and wont install.

You must download Flash from: https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ within Chrome

Make sure its installed Restart Chrome

Goto https://arlo.netgear.com

Log in. You will get the same message but click on the "here" and then a prompt will ask if you want to run Flash.

Accept and it should work.

You should now have an allow under chrome://settings/content/flasharlo.PNGarlo2.PNGarlo3.PNG

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Installing the standalone Flash program does nothing for Chrome. All you had to do was click on the "click here" link in the Flash warning banner in the first place.

User868Name
Aspirant
Aspirant

I tried that several times but since flash player was not installed it did nothing. It would pop back up every time i revisited the page. Once I installed the player it has not returned. 

User868Name
Aspirant
Aspirant

I tried that several times but since flash player was not installed it did nothing. It would pop back up every time i revisited the page. Once I installed the player it has not returned. 

schumaku
Master
Master
The API to call Flash does not exist in decent modern browser versions anymore. The only possible Flash is the one built-in with the browsers. And for security reasons, it's usafe has to be confirmed every time she opening a. We browser session (tab) to the Arlo Web page. If your Chrome behaves differently, best guess is it's massively outdated.

---
User868Name
Aspirant
Aspirant

Chrome is up to date. I know flash is supposed to be not  working but just letting you know how I fixed it.

I bet if Flash is not downloaded and installed it will ask you to click "Here" every time you visit the site. 
By me downloading and installing Flash through Chrome i was able to add the exclusion in Chrome settings for the arlo site and it never prompts me to enable flash anymore and i can view live feeds with no prompts.

vaporland
Guide
Guide

can you provide the exact steps and OS (Mac, WIndows, iOS, Android, etc) you used to exorcize the annoying flash messages?

Also, which browser and operating system version you are using?

Thanks!

schumaku
Master
Master

For MacOS, Windows and Linux there are ways (intended for IT admin) to disable the Chrome Component Updater, and maintain the Flash MSI manually, based on the FP32 PPAPI foir Chrome (and Opera). Not really a reliable and secure solution for the average user, I strongly suggest to stick with the default.

No way on iOS, Android AFAIK.

---