Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
burakuysaler
Tutor
Tutor

Hi,

I 'm using Qualcomm 3.0 20000 mah Powerbank to charge Arlo Pro (in a very well isolated box and connection to cam).

Because ...

* Not to take arlo pro down (difficult to take it down without stairs, not to loose the current location and angle, etc)

* 20000 mah (actual 13000 mah) battery can charge several times as arlo has about 2500 mah battery

* I 'm very far away from Arlo Pro setup and sometimes it can take a year to go there.

* Not trusting solar panel as its user reviews are not good

* Cannot connect an outdoor wall charger as cams are in a distant location from home

Powerbank charges Arlo Pro to about 100% and then Arlo Pro stops asking for power and powerbank goes to sleep. At that stage will Arlo Pro ask for power (eg charge is left around 15%) and this wakes up the powerbank and charges the arlo pro again for the next cycle ? Has anyone experienced that config ?

Regards.

12 REPLIES 12
steve_t
Master Master
Master

The solar panel is excellent. Problems seem to be mostly from people not pushing the connector in all the way. I had to take the camera off the screw mount to connect the cable before putting it back on the mount. There was no way I could do it properly when mounted. The solar panel works really well. Even in relatively low, diffuse light, it still charges.

I'd be interested to hear how you find the power bank but also whether it would void your warranty for using it

burakuysaler
Tutor
Tutor

Any powerbank or charger with Qualcomm 3.0 technology can recharge Arlo Pro battery. There are many anker, aukey and xiaomi 's with this technology.

Solar panel ... Does it always keep Arlo Pro camera fully charged all the time ?

brh
Master
Master

@burakuysaler

At night or several days of very cold weather will allow the battery to drop by a few percentage points, but as soon as there is just a litle bit of sunlight, even on cloudy days the camera will quickly charge right back up to 100%. Mine usually reach 100% within a couple of hours after sunrise.

Brian

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The solar panel will charge IF the temp is above about 32F...

when below that, the solar panel can't charge as the camera will not allow so as not to damge the battery pack.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
burakuysaler
Tutor
Tutor
So solar panel is always on and charging arlo pro all the time. If this is OK with lithium battery health then I can keep powerbank awake all the time by inserting a very low power USB device like a LED lamp.
burakuysaler
Tutor
Tutor
I agree same with any charging, in my case powerbank. Cam stops charging at 0 centigrate degree and below
brh
Master
Master

@burakuysaler

I'm not sure about how a powerbank works and how you are using it but if it is able to provide continuous power to the camera, you can remove the battery and not have to worry about charging. Also with the battery out the camera will operate at colder temps.

Brian

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

wrote:

@burakuysaler

I'm not sure about how a powerbank works and how you are using it but if it is able to provide continuous power to the camera, you can remove the battery and not have to worry about charging. Also with the battery out the camera will operate at colder temps.

Brian

Exactly what I was goint to say.

I'm not sure why there are so many posts about having a charger or power source connected constantly and users assuming they need to have the battery connected. Netgear needs to clarify that in the manual. Of course users would actually have to read it.

I would guess that there is a VERY low percentage of users that have a UPS backup that need to have the battrey charged.

Constant AC (without battery) is always the best choice if you can do it and there are no issues like with the battery.

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Just re read his post again and apparently the pack is because he can't run AC power.

So disregard my last post.

Sorry

burakuysaler
Tutor
Tutor

In case of AC power ...

If battery inserted and cam is connected to AC all the time what happens ? As I charge by wall charger, at 100% charging stops and battery starts to decharge. At what point camera asks AC charger to send power to itself again ?

If someone knows the answer than probably I 'll experience the same thing with my powerbank.

Thanks

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If using the proper charger and everything is working properly, the battery should charge to an indicated 100% and stay there. The camera should be running off the charger, not the battery, with the battery in place only to be used if power is lost for any reason.

If the camera starts using the battery after it's charged, something is wrong. Open a case with support here.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Yup. Mine goes to 100% charge and stays there. The battery indicator is black with the lightning bolt symbol and indicates 100% all the time