Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro Cameras freezing every few seconds

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation
jasonp2737
Apprentice
Apprentice

Good morning all. I've been an Arlo user for about a year now and have loved them so far. I have 4 Arlo Pro cameras on a single base station. I just recently (Wednesday the 16th) started having issues with the live stream. All 4 cameras will play for only 2-3 seconds at a time before freezing breifly, and then playing again. This continues through the entire stream. I let one of the cameras run for almost 10 minutes last night and it continually froze every 2-3 seconds, and it was my interior camera that is only 8 feet from the base station. I have never had an issue like this. I did experience some lag time with my notifications after this latest relase, which it seems most people did. Nothing has changed with my internet. Speeds are still the same. I've already shut everything down and rebooted a couple of times. Any ideas? Thanks. 

8 REPLIES 8
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

I don't know if I have an answer for you, but I am curious...........

Is this over WIFI, LTE, or both?

Who is your broadband ISP?

Who is your Mobile carrier?

jasonp2737
Apprentice
Apprentice

It does it regardless of how I'm connected. I talked to another friend of mine this morning, that lives in the same area and has the same setup, and his are doing the same thing. We live in a pretty rural area only serviced by CenturyLink, but it has never been a problem before. To make it more interesting...playback from recorded activations works just fine. It's only a problem when attempting to live stream. 

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Ok, that's the next thing I was going to ask you. If recordings are fine and you can play them back fine, then it's not the cameras. Possibilities are Arlo is having issues affecting your area (my live stream on ATT mobile or Spectrum broadband is fine), or maybe Century Link is now throttling streaming services (streaming videos), or they are having issues in the area or for mobile maybe a data saver was implemented, like ATT did a few years back and you had to actually go into your account and turn it off. I know Concast, for example, in past years was caught throttling streaming services and even made Netflix pay a boat load of money to have the throttling removed. I don't know if this is the case with you, but these are possibilities.

You might try calling your ISP and ask some questions, see if you can talk to a level 2 or 3 person, not the level 1 help desk. I don't know if Arlo support would be any help, but maybe there's an issue in your area that they can tell you about. You could also reboot all your equipement, modem, router, arlo base, see if that helps.

hollywoodfrodo
Aspirant
Aspirant

We are seeing the EXACT same issue on our system.  Like you we have the base station and 4 Cameras.  Like you everything has worked mostly fine for the last year or so, but just recently we have issues when trying to watch live video.  It will freeze up - we'll get the spinner thingy indicating it's trying to connect or something. 

Our internet speed is super fast 200-400mpbs so I know that's not the issue. Wondering if there was an update or something that messed something up...

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

hollywoodfrodo,

It could be an interference issue between the base station and the cameras. You might try elevating the base station to see if that improves the signal strength, yielding better results.

JamesC

hollywoodfrodo
Aspirant
Aspirant

@JamesC wrote:

hollywoodfrodo,

It could be an interference issue between the base station and the cameras. You might try elevating the base station to see if that improves the signal strength, yielding better results.

JamesC

But the thing is the base station has been in the same spot for the last year+ and it's worked fine.  Nothing has changed really so I can't see how that would be the issue.

rft
Aspirant
Aspirant

We are all experiencing the same thing 

Juaco78
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hello

I’m having the same problem with my Arlo cameras. Did any of you guys found a solution?