Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro Camera - Geofencing on - Motion notifications at Home

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
MrMustardSeed
Tutor
Tutor

I bought 4 camera kit last Friday.  No cameras outside yet just throught the house.  I have Geofencting set on and I have full control and my wife has been added.  We both get away and home notices but I leave first in the morning. The problem is when my wife gets up both of us are still getting notices of motion from all the cameras as she moves through the house.  How doe we correct this?  Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MrMustardSeed
Tutor
Tutor

I still had the problem of my wife being picked up by the camera's motion sensor even with everyting set properlly with her geofencing on.  The solution came to me this morning as I was re-inviting my son and daughter-in-law.  I noticed this time that at the bottom of the invite screen there is a switch to "Allow Access Rights" which gives full administrator capablilites.  This wasn't switched on in my wife's invite.  I switched it on this morning and the motion sensing while in the geofence problem went away.  Engineers should still allow invitees w/o rights to not trigger motion & sound while in the fence.  Thank you for your reply and advice with the setup link.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
MrMustardSeed
Tutor
Tutor

I just spoke with Arlo support.  I realized when talking with them that I loaded the software on my iPad and Apple TV.  Support told me that even though the programs are closed and off you have to log out of the Arlo app to prevent them from interfering with the Geofencing feature.  I'll try that tonight and let everyone know the results tomorrow!

MrMustardSeed
Tutor
Tutor

So, I tried logging out of my iPad and Apple TV to no avail.  I also deleted both apps from each of these devices.  We still experienced motion notifications from my wife's iPhone 6S (mine is a 5S) after I left the geofence perimeter.  I called Arlo support and gave them all the info.  Response was that they would pass this on to their engineers.  As the geofence feature is still in beta the nice lady said they would work on correcting the sofware / firmware or whichever they find is the culprit.  I did tell them we were both using a Beta iOS - 10.3.

I did a work-around and set up scheduling to work with geofencing.  Weekends will always be a problem with scheduling.  Will have to go to a manual home and away or just put up with the false messages until the geofencing gets fixed.

Other than this bug, we really love the Arlo camera system.  Just need to get 3 cameras outside and most of my geofencing problem will be solved - or at least reduced while we're inside! 🙂

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

MrMustardSeed,

Geofencing is designed to operate on a "first in, last out basis". This means that if any device is in the Geofencing radius the "Home" mode will enable, and the "Away" mode should only enable when the last device has left the radius. How does the first in, last out principal work with geofencing mode for my Arlo cameras?

For this to work be sure the app stays logged in, is running and location is enabled on your devices. If the app is logged off/not running Geofencing will not work.

When using multiple devices, the secondary devices should be logged into the app via shared account through the "Grant Access" feature so that both devices are logged in using the mobile app. Take a look at this article for more information: How do I add and manage multiple mobile devices for geofencing?

If you are having trouble with this, consider refreshing your enabled devices within Geofencing settings. Disable all listed devices, save and then enable the devices again.

Geofencing is still a Beta feature at this time and the engineering team is working hard to improve it. We appreciate any and all feedback related to this feature.

JamesC

MrMustardSeed
Tutor
Tutor

I still had the problem of my wife being picked up by the camera's motion sensor even with everyting set properlly with her geofencing on.  The solution came to me this morning as I was re-inviting my son and daughter-in-law.  I noticed this time that at the bottom of the invite screen there is a switch to "Allow Access Rights" which gives full administrator capablilites.  This wasn't switched on in my wife's invite.  I switched it on this morning and the motion sensing while in the geofence problem went away.  Engineers should still allow invitees w/o rights to not trigger motion & sound while in the fence.  Thank you for your reply and advice with the setup link.

helloitsanita
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi James,

I just recently got the Arlo Pro & am having this same issue.

Per the other user's fix that they discovered by having the 2nd user have access to administrative rights, I already have mine set up this way. 

What do you mean when you say disable the devices and reenable? Are you referring to the cameras themselves & restarting them? or removing the 2nd user's rights and then re-adding them?

Thank you!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

helloitsanita,

Log in to your Arlo Account (the primary) and navigate to Mode > select your Arlo system > edit Geofencing > click "Enabled devices". Toggle all of the listed devices off and save. After you have finished saving, navigate back to "Enabled devices" and toggle all desired devices back on and save.

JamesC

helloitsanita
Aspirant
Aspirant

ah fantastic! think it's done the trick. thanks!