Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
classiccarsw
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have three cameras in my restaurant. one outside. all mounted where a ladder is needed to access. the battery life is two to three days on optimized setting. this is NOT ok. In a nutshell it's like not having a security system. buying a charging station or additional expense to wire the cameras is not a solution.

I want a refund but there's no one to talk to about this either. another sad and frustrating aspect of modern day tech companies. try to get a human being who's not reading a script to talk to about anything. 

don't buy this product without researching it first. Netgear shouldn't be selling these at all. 

8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

These are battery-operated cameras. Spec battery life is with <5 minutes per day of recording and live viewing which is well-documented for those who research their purchases. No small camera with batteries is going to last months with relatively constant recording/viewing.

In this case, you do have an alternative since you can mount the cameras where they can be plugged in so battery life simply isn't an issue.

If you want a refund, like many/most purchases through a store or supplier, talk to them.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

A business should have a hardwired POE "CCTV" system with a dedicated DVR, not a battery operated cloud based system. When the system is used as intended the battery life is months. My busiest camera gets 20-30 minutes a day of recorded videos and lasts me almost 60 days. My least used camera lasts about 120 days. No battery powered camera system on the market is designed to run off the batteries and record non-stop like would be needed in a business. You either need to plug the cameras in or inverst in a POE system (thousands of dollars).

classiccarsw
Aspirant
Aspirant

then don't advertise them as for businesses. 

classiccarsw
Aspirant
Aspirant

not what was advertised though. also there is additional expense and then it's not a "wireless camera"

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

That's just my opinion, my guess is Arlo would disagree, which is why they advertise them how they do. I've used them for over 1-1/2 years, they work good for my home, but a business like a store or a restaurant may have too much traffic. People use them in businesses so I'm sure some users would disagree with me as well. I've seen some use them only when the store is closed and disarm during the day. 24/7 monitoring can be done with this system, you just have to set it up right, probably powered, maybe a arlo CVR plan too.

402tech
Aspirant
Aspirant
Considering your application and mounting challenges, the Arlo system is probably not for you.

I would recommend getting a used Mac mini, plus some wired or wireless IP cameras, and using SecuritySpy by BenSoftware. Google for the SecuritySpy website for all the features.
classiccarsw
Aspirant
Aspirant

yes agreed but the point is i've already bought this based on Netgear saying it's great for my application

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/arlo-for-business/default.aspx

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Ahhhh............ marketing vs real world. Companies often "stretch the truth" as far as they can without actually lying to hype the product up. That's marketing for ya.