Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

yxarlo
Tutor
Tutor

Battery drain increased significantly since July 2018. Now drains upto 5% a day. I have had most of the cameras up for over 1 year. A couple more added 3 months ago. All used to last 3 or 4 months per charge, now I have to charge every 2.5 weeks. The only thing changed seems to be firmware updates in July 2018. How do I revert back to old firmware?

123 REPLIES 123
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

@reduviid wrote:

Netgear, have you thought of reverting to the last firmware version which didn’t cause problems while you sort this out?

Yes Netgear / Arlo did think of that and already tried it. I tested old firmware, it caused more issues than it fixed. Main issue was you could no longer change Modes on the mobile app. Once I went back to trial firmware modes instantly started working again. Going back isn't an option unless you want even more issues.

Hlalibe
Guide
Guide

14 days since my last charge and still at 97%.

When I last charged I first removed the battery for a minute from the cam, then disconnected the power cable from base station for a minute or so. Seems to have made a difference.

GinaKNZ
Tutor
Tutor

I've also started having the same issue over the past 6 months with batteries draining really fast!  If it's the firmware, I hope it's sorted soon!

Gooberman
Initiate
Initiate

I have the same issue on 5 cameras... all with setting at best battery use and 50% I get 3 to four weeks maximum now compared to 6 months at optimal camera and 100%, before the firmware update.

Jimbodos
Aspirant
Aspirant

Okay here is my opinion for what it is worth.  Knowing batteries the only way a camera will last 6 months if it is never used

I personally think a month or 2 but if you are recording alot these small batteries are not going to last more than a month.

I have 6 cameras and I turn off 3 inside during the day.   The outside cameras filming movement especially passing cars are going to go down fast.  It is not possible using and filming and recording to last 3 to 6 months.  No battery will do that.  Just look at your cell phone or gps.  Or ?  How long do they last......think about it.   My inside cameras will last 1-2 months at most if I turn off part of the time and not film every little mouse that moves around the house.  I am happy with this system but it is one you just dont turn on and forget about it.  It takes some management.  Nothing is perfect.

I do have to say I love this system and I feel protected in or out of the house.   If the batteries could last a little longer it would make me happier.  Just deal with folks.  Good system well designed and how in the H could the batteries last 6 months.  Even if the system is off they would still drain.   Appreciate what you have.  No miracles in this world.  Good luck everyone.  I feel much safer with this system

edck
Tutor
Tutor
Well. If less than 5 video a day, less than 20 seconds and battery only last for 1 month, it is a problem. Same setting same number of video, no change of setting but initially get 3 months, i still say this is an issue.
4aaronalt
Initiate
Initiate

Arlo What is the update on this issue???? Take a look at the attached file. This is getting old especially when you 3 hours away from doing anything about it. 

reduviid
Tutor
Tutor

There has been a very significant loss of battery performance since around mid-year, as reported in all of these posts. It isn’t related to the batteries themselves, which don’t show the same rate of discharge when removed from the camera. This is a serious system defect, knowledge of which would now make a previously impressive security system unsaleable if it came to the notice if intending buyers. 

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

@4aaronalt wrote:

Arlo What is the update on this issue???? Take a look at the attached file. This is getting old especially when you 3 hours away from doing anything about it. 

New firmware is being tested now to address the draining battery issue some people have. Results look good so far.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

@reduviid wrote:

There has been a very significant loss of battery performance since around mid-year, as reported in all of these posts. It isn’t related to the batteries themselves, which don’t show the same rate of discharge when removed from the camera. This is a serious system defect, knowledge of which would now make a previously impressive security system unsaleable if it came to the notice if intending buyers. 

It's a bug in the firmware. (firmware is the "software" that runs the hardware)

New firmware is being tested now.

g3arlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

I also have the same issue with Arlo Pro v1. Battery life used to be around 3 months. Since May, the battery life has been 3 weeks even on cameras that are disabled on motion/audio. This is clearly a firmware issue. I had reset my base station and re-synced all my cameras - no help. The customer service is useless - the rep talked about replacing the base station. The issue resolve sometime in July with the firmware update for around 2-3 weeks, then went back to the same state - cameras discharging in 3 weeks. Netgear needs to provide a way to downgrade to old firmware that seemed to work well to avoid such issues, since it is a security product. I feel sorry for their software development process, either they haven't figured out the issue, or they have no regression testing in place for such critical issues. Not recommending this system to anyone.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

@g3arlo wrote:

I also have the same issue with Arlo Pro v1. Battery life used to be around 3 months. Since May, the battery life has been 3 weeks even on cameras that are disabled on motion/audio. This is clearly a firmware issue. I had reset my base station and re-synced all my cameras - no help. The customer service is useless - the rep talked about replacing the base station. The issue resolve sometime in July with the firmware update for around 2-3 weeks, then went back to the same state - cameras discharging in 3 weeks. Netgear needs to provide a way to downgrade to old firmware that seemed to work well to avoid such issues, since it is a security product. I feel sorry for their software development process, either they haven't figured out the issue, or they have no regression testing in place for such critical issues. Not recommending this system to anyone.

Going back to old firmware was tested and it caused more issues than it fixed. Not an option.

New firmware to fix this issue for those affected is being tested now.

johninaz
Tutor
Tutor
My pull-and-replace (expensive) batteries are not losing their charge at the same accelerated rate as the rechargeable batteries.

Having a background in tech product development, I submit this additional variable for consideration. Are your rechargeable batteries the problem?
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

@johninaz wrote:
My pull-and-replace (expensive) batteries are not losing their charge at the same accelerated rate as the rechargeable batteries.

Having a background in tech product development, I submit this additional variable for consideration. Are your rechargeable batteries the problem?

Doubt it. If it was the batteries then we'd all have this issue, not just a small fraction of the 2 million arlo users. Also many people just started having battery drain after having the system for months or years with it working fine. If it were the batteries the issue wouldn't have showed up after a recent firmware update like it did.

I suppose there could have been a bad batch of batteries, but that doesn't seem like it's the case from reading thru the 1500+ posts on this issue. Many have had their batteries replaced or bought new batteries and the issue remained.

It's the firmware (base and/or camera) that's causing the issue. Arlo is testing new firmware now.

doncaruana
Guide
Guide

Personally, I'm eargerly awaiting this new firmware. My batteries are using about 2% per day just existing. No motion, no recording, no listening - nothing. Previously I got several months with motion activated, recording, the whole 9 yards. This issue has been going on far too long.

Svartlistad
Initiate
Initiate
I know this is not a new topic and I have wrote to Arlo Support team in Sweden and Europé because I have the same issue since several months back - My Arlo Pro cameras doesn’t even last one month anymore. My family has two basestations with 4 Arlo Pro cameras in different environment and ironic the set that is only 6 months old last shortest but all cameras are affected (note- one old Arlo camera on this set seems not having this battery drainproblem, is this only the Arlo Pro cameras that have problems??) Last charge was 18th september and now cameras are down on 85-92% with almost no recordings. This is unacceptable! They are quite expensive and I have heard Netgear support talking that they should send a fix for the firmware update that caused this as far back as in may 2018 for some people, but nothings happening. I for one does not have time to climb high up to charge cameras one or two times a month. To be honest if this can’t be fixed real soon we should all get our money back. What is going on?
arloha
Guide
Guide

Good to see I wasn't crazy there when I saw my Arlo pro cameras lasting only a week or two after the first charge lasted almost 6 months.   VM4000r3 is the base station I have.   If it's the firmware that's causing this please fixed it.  

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

The fix is in testing now.

Matador
Guide
Guide
I tried the pulling battery and disconnecting etc. Fully charged the cameras, pulled batteries out etc. On Sept 8th. Now here we are today Sept 25, Batteries are at 43%, 40% and 12%. If Arlo can’t fix this, they should either replace them or send us the Solar Panel to keep them charged.

What’s sad is prior to this all happening I recommneded this system to several people, who all bought it. My brother, neighbours. Recently o had a colleague ask me and I told them to stay away from it and not buy it. If this is not resolved shortly, my next step will be to hammering social media with this issue. Any company that underestimates the power of social media is crazy. We (users) have been patient enough, with very little updates from the Arlo team.
rd338
Aspirant
Aspirant

Anyone have a solution to the hundreds of complaints about the battery life issues? I was just told by Support to "contact your router manufacturer and request to change the channel to either 1, 6 or 11. This will help to find the accurate frequency that suit to the Arlo servers since batteries are draining. This will also help to have a consistent connection to your cameras to your base station and up to your router". Has anyone ever heard of this solution? Does it work? Do you think it work considering the base station is hardwired to the router?

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Sometimes the drain is due to wifi interfering with the signal between the base and the camera. Changing your wifi channel can definitely help if that's the problem

bulldo
Aspirant
Aspirant

OK I've got the same battery issues that everyone is talking about. Worked like it was supposed to for about 6 monthe: 3+ months battery life, recording, night vision, motion on, everything.  Then about 5 or 6 months ago batteries went dead in 30 days. (These are on a vacation home 1200 miles away.)  I recharged a month later, while there, And they went dead in 30 days,(again 1200 miles away). I even went so far as to get a neighbor to recharge them for me again and I turned off the cameras from my phone. They still went dead in 30 or less days.  After reading all the posts, I am surmising that I can't fix problem. I just have to waite on a new update from company.  Is this right???

rockran
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi All,

I'm having the same problem as well. I didn't change any firmware? Is that automatically downloaded?

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Yes there is nothing the end user can do to fix this issue.

Arlo pushes and installs firmware updates to your base automatically. The end user has no control over this.

rockran
Aspirant
Aspirant

Are you saying Netgear has accepted there is a problem? Do you have a ticket with them that says they are working on a fix. The reason I ask is to avoid going back to the store and getting a new battery on warrantee