Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Dmmack
Apprentice
Apprentice
All 4 of my new Arlo Pro cameras (updated firmwares for base and cams) are making a clicking sound that sound just like a ticking clock. It's constant. Harder to hear on outdoor cams, but indoors it's very apparent.

Also, it seems that once triggered, it takes a full second for the (recorded) sound to activate. Is there a sensitivity setting that would adjust the sound to initiate as soon as video? (So far haven't had any recorded events triggered by audio.)
100 REPLIES 100
chuck159
Apprentice
Apprentice

I connected my new arlo pro yesterday and I can hear the ticking on my 4 cameras.

pluckytree
Star
Star

pluckytree wrote:

I spent more time analyzing this and it is indeed all 5 of my Arlo Pro cameras. I think it is worse at night but probably just less ambient noise. I have a ticket open with Netgear, but it's taken so long that I keep getting warned that the case will be closed automatically, so I just add a comment every few days.

Following up on my own post. Right around 4 weeks after opening a support ticket, I was finally offered an RMA for my 5 cameras. However, I had given up so I begged Amazon to let me return them as defective and they agreed. I told Netgear to close the case, but they sent the cameras anyways.

So, I ended up with 15 cameras, my 5 original and the 5 replacements from Amazon and Netgear respectively.

Sadly, many of the replacements also had the same issue but I think I've been able to cobble together 5 that either work right or are passable. In case this helps others, here's what I found:

- 1 of my original cameras turned out to be better than most of the replacements so I kept that one

- All 5 cameras from Netgear were bad, but somewhat better. Still, the sound is just too irritating to handle.

- 4 of the 5 cameras from Amazon were either really good or passable

So, either it's a total crapshoot or Amazon has a newer stock than Netgear and may be the better approach. It took me all day to find 3 good cameras and 2 passable ones out of 15. Clearly Netgear needs to do some testing on each unit rather than a sample until they fix the problem. What I did was put the cameras in a quiet closet and went far away and listened. Then I tried it at various locations outside. They all performed as well or as badly in all the environments. I also tried at night when it was most noticeable.

When people ask me about Arlo I say that they are neat devices and the only ones that are truly wire-free. But I tell them to be very careful and thoroughly test the units first. Buy from Amazon and return within 30 days if there are issues. I would never recommend this product to any non-technical person as it requires QA level skills or better to deal with potential issues and report them.

- Chris

Blurryvision
Tutor
Tutor

I'm in the process of working with customer support since I have the exact same issue! Sounds like a fan with a loose bolt or a fast ticking clock.  Other than the audio issue I do really like the product.  It's high quality, well made.  Wireless works perfectly for easy placement of cameras.  I just can't recommend the product since this ticking is driving me crazy.

ianlaliberte
Aspirant
Aspirant

All of mine tick as well.... I thought there was a clock it is so annoying glad to hear Im not going nuts. What do I do to fix this???

Thanks

I also tried getting to customer service and the website wont let me send a message??? Very frustrating

cleveland
Tutor
Tutor

dont know I havent heard of a fix yet.

dbeahm
Aspirant
Aspirant

i took mine back to best buy to get them replaced with new ones. i found it much too difficult to get replacements.  I highly recommend only buying these thru a local retailer due to this issue.

ianlaliberte
Aspirant
Aspirant

So sad that a company as big as Netgear doesnt support the customer very well, there is clearly an issue with the product, its not like we are making something up.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ianlaliberte,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

Barry2016
Guide
Guide
I've received three replacements...all three with the same ticking problem. Support is just sending out random replacements hoping the issue is fixed. I gave up and still have two ticking cameras.
ianlaliberte
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks I tried that link via the website and get this:

Error. An error occurred while processing your request.

pluckytree
Star
Star

Barry2016 wrote:
I've received three replacements...all three with the same ticking problem. Support is just sending out random replacements hoping the issue is fixed. I gave up and still have two ticking cameras.

Sounds about right. Two months after I first ordered 5 cameras, I have 5 that work. Netgear did absolutely nothing than to continually ask me for more data that I'd already given them or cut-and-paste ridiculous troubleshooting steps that have nothing to do with hardware. Amazon totally bailed me out. They did what Netgear and any good company that cares about their customers should do: believe them when their products sound like ticking time bombs and send them new ones.

Here's what happened:

- Ordered 5 cameras from Amazon, all had horrible ticking problems

- Desperately tried to get replacements from Netgear, but it took them more than 6 weeks

- I begged Amazon to let me return mine after the 30 day period and they accepted

- The replacements from Netgear arrived and all 5 were bad

- The replacements from Amazon came and only 2 were bad, so I had 3 working cameras

- I finally convinced Netgear to send 2 more cameras, which were also bad

- I decided to just order 2 more from Amazon (which were fine) and return the bad ones from Netgear

So, Amazon probably lost more money than Netgear gained by stalling, throwing red tape at me, and caring only about their bottom line. These cameras will forever be known as the ticking clock cameras and they only have themselves to blame. I would never recommend these cameras unless you order them through Amazon and return them faithfully if they have problems.

ianlaliberte
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thats not good... How can they continue to sell a product they know is faulty?

ianlaliberte
Aspirant
Aspirant

Am I going to have to pay for shipping for the replacement camers? I dont want to waste my money if they dont fix the issue. They should do a recall on these if its a wide spread issue.

roadrules
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same issue, I'll try to do the checklist actions red before..

dg2cats
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have had this issue ever since getting our Arlo Pro, but because I originally had it sitting on a dresser, I thought it was picking up the ticking of one of the watches in the dresser drawer below it. Which is exactly what it sounds like...the ticking of a watch. But when I moved it outside, I realized it was the camera. It's annoying, but I have a feeling a replacement would do the same thing, so I can live with it. However, I'd be very happy to have a firmware update that fixes this issue!

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

Yes, there is indeed a ticking clock sound/noise.. When using Battery only, it's perfect.. When Battery is charging and it's still Full while using live view, there is a ticking clock sound/noise but not too obvious but still there is one.. It's when the battery is low while using your camera live view.. you'll be surprised how bad that is.. But of course, I guess that is not how it meant to be used?  Consider yourself lucky if you're not getting this interference sound/noise.. I have returned quite a bit of system kit to BestBuy and Frys.. All of them have the same results.. Some are louder and some are not so loud but nonetheless there is a ticking clock sound..I dunno' if these are all Bad Batch Netgear released or did not expect it? I recently noticed also Amazon suddenly have low inventory on system kits? Perhaps they're taking all back and maybe releasing a new Batch? Who knows? I got mine at Costco so I do have 90 days to return.. I just hope there is a fix in future firmware updates.. 

xiaowai
Guide
Guide
Just throwing in my 2c worth, but I have the ticking noise too. From comments above, this seems to be a hardware rather than firmware issue. Is that other users' impression? I'm reluctant to get this camera swapped at the moment as I have a fault report in for my second one and don't want to be left camera-less. Very disappointed with Netgear's quality control
JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

It might be a hardware issue. But since Arlo is not disclosing it, I can only hope it can be fixed on the next firmware update. Of course, it's a guessing game when and if it gets fixed or worse. My only approach to play this kinda' game is I bought mine at Costco for a 90-Day return/exchange no hassle policy. I will be returning soon since this latest update seemed to deteriorate my system and have it exchange and see if it gets fixed. If not, I will soon to return/exchange it again towards the end of 90-Days. This is the only warranty that I find make sense to me and a peace of mind rather than thru Arlo/BestBuy/Frys which have shorter strict return policy and a pain to go thru support. Goodluck!

orlandotommy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Im using a 20ft extended usb cable and just started noticing the ticking, is it because of the cable, can it damage the Arlo?

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor

Dose it happen with out the cable ? They replaced my camera because of ticking sound

orlandotommy
Aspirant
Aspirant

When its not plugged in it never made a ticking sound, only when i plugged it in to this 20ft cable i got off of amazon, i hooked another cable to antoher camera i have and its not making the sound.

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Return ,repalce the cable
orlandotommy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Its not that big of a deal for me, the camera is fine, its the crappy cable which ill send back to amazon

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

ESPECIALLY for long cables but even for short ones, don't cheap out. Get quality ones with the thicker gauge wires rated for quick charge.  It's just not worth the hassle.

Dmmack
Apprentice
Apprentice

My cameras tick whether plugged in or not. I wonder if the new Arlo Pro 2 fixes this issue...