Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 4XL setup with Verizon mobile hotspot via dedicated cellphone

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
JoeInPI
Follower
Follower

Just purchased a Pro 4XL kit to hook up to our house for remote notification if someone approaches the door.

Our area does not have any internet coverage via Spectrum, Verizon, etc. through home service, but hopefully will in the next year or so.

In the meantime, I would like to have another line activated on a spare phone (Motorola G Stylus 2022) added to my Verizon mobile service, and use that unlimited phone as a hotspot for the Arlo service, and just leave it on and plugged in at the house for uninterrupted service. What would be the correct type of bridge/router to use to connect between the phone hotspot and the Arlo hub base to get this working?

We are in a ranch style home, about 1,500 sq. ft., and would be running 4 cameras for coverage. Not opposed to a longer range bridge/router for when internet comes in down the road.

I'm not interested in buying a jetpack, because I already have this phone sitting here, and may only need this setup for less than a year.

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Any WiFi extender connected to the hotspot would work to plug the hub into with the Ethernet cable. However, the Pro 4 series can also just use a WiFi connection without the hub if you want to simplify a bit and potentially reduce cost.

A potential issue is ongoing connection to the Internet. I've used Verizon's hotspot capability but not for long periods of time. Some services may disconnect to save bandwidth so you'd need to test to see if that happens. A continuous data connection would be needed to ensure proper Arlo operation. Verizon may be able to verify one way or another.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@JoeInPI wrote:

What would be the correct type of bridge/router to use to connect between the phone hotspot and the Arlo hub base to get this working?

The base needs an ethernet connection - if you use a phone as  a hotspot, you'd want to get a wifi extender with ethernet out, and then set up the extender to extend the phone wifi.