Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation
Instegone
Guide
Guide

So  I just picked up 2 new Arlo 2 Pro's and for the front of my house I did some rearranging.   I now have my old Arlo Pro 1 in the middle of the garage door and the new Arlo Pro 2 over the front door.   They are set to if one senses motion start recording on the other.

Here is a video I recorded the other day of some dude posting flyers on my door.   There is 2 issues.  

1.  Arlo didnt start recording till here was already across my driveway.   Its set to 90% sensitivity and anything any higher I get false alarms from the wind all day long.   This is consistant with all my videos lately where it records late.

2.  The second issue is if you notice the guy becomes all pixeled and ghosting near the end.   THis only seems to happen maybe 1 out of 20 recordings but still an issue nevertheless.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vebs9rbqkijb8q2/ArloStutter.mp4?dl=0

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MoxieMan
Aspirant
Aspirant

hey @TomMac I am having this same issue.  I had an older Arlo 720 and base station which would record activity fairly instantly.  People would walk in my driveway and I would catch almost their entire route.  They would walk onto my porch and my other camera would pick them up immediately.   It would pick up a cat running across my porch almost every night.  I upgraded to the new Arlo 2 base station and 1080P cameras, mounted them in the exact same spot as my older cameras and now almost all of my videos start recording to late!  By the time the recording starts the subject has either left the picture or is just on the outside frame for a 1/2 second.  Someone drops something off at my door and I never see the person, only empty space because the recording triggered too late. So my recordings are pretty much useless at this point.  Is this a problem with the new devices or the recent Software upgrade?  Again, these cameras are in the identical location as my other were and the sensitivity is 90% to 100%.  What can be done about this?

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Placement is as important as sense level...

The PIR is good for people to a max of 25 ft and the subject is better detected accross the FOV instead of straight on.

Question is which one detected the person first... ?

Here's something to try.... go into pan/zoom and shrink the picture by about 15%.

Recenter aim on driveway by the cropping feature.  See if it detects ( appears to ) faster.

Reason is the PIR cover all the FOV eeven if picture is smaller so the trigger happens faster

OR

Change location to side a bit

OR

raise the sense level up 1% but reaim the camera a bit lower

As to stutter... usu some form of interference or lower signal

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
MoxieMan
Aspirant
Aspirant

hey @TomMac I am having this same issue.  I had an older Arlo 720 and base station which would record activity fairly instantly.  People would walk in my driveway and I would catch almost their entire route.  They would walk onto my porch and my other camera would pick them up immediately.   It would pick up a cat running across my porch almost every night.  I upgraded to the new Arlo 2 base station and 1080P cameras, mounted them in the exact same spot as my older cameras and now almost all of my videos start recording to late!  By the time the recording starts the subject has either left the picture or is just on the outside frame for a 1/2 second.  Someone drops something off at my door and I never see the person, only empty space because the recording triggered too late. So my recordings are pretty much useless at this point.  Is this a problem with the new devices or the recent Software upgrade?  Again, these cameras are in the identical location as my other were and the sensitivity is 90% to 100%.  What can be done about this?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

As to if it's the new system or software... Only way to test that is put one of the old cameras back and see how they work.

I still use the older Arlo HD cameras in places..

Also try the " trick" as mentioned a couple messgs back on one camera

Morse is faster than texting!
MoxieMan
Aspirant
Aspirant

The hardware I am referring to is the base station. The old cameras are connected to the new base station and have the same issue (I have 3 of the new cameras and 2 of the older ones all show these symptoms since I installed the new base station and/or when the new software was released).  I am wondering if the delayed video trigger is due to the new base station or perhaps the recent software update.  Anyone else having this issue (lag time in when video begins recording after motion is detected)?

Noila
Aspirant
Aspirant

Have the exact same problem.  I have several cameras installed.  The cameras overlap.  None of the monitored areas are more than 22.5 feet from the installed device.  However by the time the recording triggers the subject is leaving the frame.  So as the person moves around they are like a ghost, appearing at the end of the clip just before it stops. This repeats until they clear my property.   I've angled them so that none are recording head on.  I increased the sensitivity levels (almost maxed out) but that just caused a lot of false alarms.  The cameras need to track movement much earlier and track much longer.  Maybe reducing the trigger time between events by half or maybe 2/3rds would help.  Right now, the cameras are a waste unless a person wanders into the area and stands there until the cameras pick them up.   I have installed 3 blink cameras as a test.  They respond much better, but you can only monitor by phone. That's dog wont hunt, so they are going back.

Is there a setting I can adjust to fix this or maybe Arlo has a fix I could down load?

Please advise.

Noila

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Noila

The motion detection range is 20'. Have you tried to trigger the camera from a distance under 20'? I have attached an article that will assist with the camera placement. How do I position my Arlo wire-free camera?

Noila
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks ShayneS,

I will reposition the cameras.  I will let you know how that goes!

Thanks again

Noila

MoxieMan
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Shayne, as mentioned above my cameras are in the exact same spot, same angle etc as they were prior to me getting the latest base station and software update.  The cameras used to trigger and record very fast but as the thread states, they now miss most activity due to this delay that we are all reporting.  I used to rave about the Arlo camera (hence I purchased 3 more cameras and the new base station (which does not have USB port for offline storage like my old base station had by the way - which is another issue for another time) but this updated hardware/software makes them a very weak security system.  If someone came up to my door step to steal a package left by Amazon, these cameras would not pick it up and to re-iterate, it did before with the exact same camera location/angle etc.  Is this something that is being addressed by Arlo?  Thanks.

harley239
Apprentice
Apprentice

There is always an excuse. They will always have problems because they will never fix it. I have more problems since the new app but there is always some issue. We put up with it but if it was your vehicle it would be a lemon law case from day one.