Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Device is Offline when checking app remotely. 2AM PST

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
Jyad
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hello just recently moved to a new place.  Do not know neighbors yet.

It is 2Am Pacific time on May 1 2018 right now.

I am out of town and just checked my Arloo at 2AM Pacific  from android and it says the device is offline.

Is this a system outage?

Any way to know if I my place has been broken into other than calling the police and ask them to check?

I am not back home for another 2 days and I do not know the contact numbers of any neighbors

Could be a number of things - My router could be down (it is connected to a UPS).  Or a burglar may have entered

8 REPLIES 8
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Nothing to be done unless you have access..

Tho the base can be remotely rebooted if you do ( in settings )

How about on a computer over app   ( https://arlo.netgear.com/ )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Jyad
Apprentice
Apprentice

I checked my Arlo from a PC web browser too.  It is offline.   i called and  confirmed with the cable company that the modem is offline.  I tried to reset the modem/router remotely but could not.  Called the cable company. They said it seems to be unplugged as they cannot access it either

So right now several things have been going on in my mind

1. If someone DID enter the house and turned off the modem and took the arlo, they would still have to pass through the door camera which would capture the motion and send me a warning and put a video on the cloud before they reached the Arolo base station and unplugge it (unless of course, they cut the internet and/or the electricity from outside before entering )

2. Cable company said there is no internet outage, but sometimes the call center doesn't know if there is a local outage, so maybe wait and see if it comes back on

3. It could be a power outage or a blown fuse.  The modem/router and Arlo base station are connected to a 1300VA UPS, but I am sure it would only last for a few hours....

Anyway, It could be nothing, but I am going to worry until i get back. Will call some friends who live 15 miles from my place in the morning and ask them to look.

Anyway, this is a clear example where it would be beneficial to get a system that has a monthly subscription and cellular based backup service.  

Also a good lesson to make sure that one gets acquainted with the neighbors as soon as one moves to a new place so that you can ask them for help in a situation like this

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Most likely you have a local internet outage. Even though the cable company says there isn't a outage in your area, your specific modem could be out due to bad cables, low signal, intermittent issue on the pole (maybe even down the street). If the cable company can't see your modem then it is definetly down. Unless your super rich I doubt anyonwe broke in and cut the cable line or disconnected the modem. The average thief won't bother with such things, they just break in, grab, and go. If you're super rich and have very expensive valuables then a pro might plan out a break in which would include diabling security systems. Most likely it's just an internet issue.

When I first moved into my home 14 years ago, I had my internet going out all the time. After weeks of back and forth with the cable company I talked to a level 3 engineer and he found an issue with a switch down the street on the pole. A day later they fixed that issue and ran all new cables to my home and inside my home and it was all fixed up. Since this is a new place you've moved into there could be an issue you were unaware of. If you can get someone to reboot your modem, router, and arlo base you'll probably be good to go. If the internet issue continues have the cable company come out and check all the cables to your home and inside your home.

Oh and btw - perfect example of why you should also invest in a home alarm/security system that is monitored by an outside company. I use simplisafe, it uses a cellular connection and has it's own battery backup. Cameras alone aren't a sufficient security system. Camaras and an alarm system that is monitored is much more secure and then if your cameras are down you'd know if someone broke in or not and/or if the power went out.

Jyad
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thank you

Well, it was the oddest thing that had happened.  The arlo Base Station, Modem and Router are connected to a 1300VA UPS. These are the only 3 things that are currently connected to the UPS.  When I got back, I found that the modem, the base station and the router all had dead lights.  I checked the UPS and it was off.  I just had to turn it back on by pressing the on button on the front and everything was back online.  The UPS was at 100% battery capacity.

I have no idea why the UPS would turn itself off randomly like that.  Would a surge cause that to happen?  One would think that even if there was a power outage for a few hours, the modem, router and base station would have had power at least for a few hours  and should have been back online after the outage (if there was one) ended...

Maybe a defective UPS, but it is concerning that it decided to turn itself off when I was out of town...

I asked neighbors and they said there was no power outage in the last few days. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Might be a UPS virus running around. 🙂  I just had my UPS (an APC 750VA unit) go nuts. Disconnected it overnight and plugged it back in the next day and all seems well. It seemed to be giving me a "replace battery" warning but the indications weren't quite what the docs indicate.

Got a cat that could have stepped on the switch? A surge of any sort shouldn't do that.

Jyad
Apprentice
Apprentice

Definitely not a cat

Would a UPS virus cause something like this even if the UPS is not connected to the Computer by a USB cord to launch a powerchute program or something?

I did a google search on "UPS turns itself off" and it seems that some people had the same issue where it would just turn itself off randomly

Maybe I should get a UPS for my UPS Smiley Very Happy  It is very discomforting that it decided to turn itself off when I was out of town.  First time it has happened.  The UPS is only 3 months old and I bought it brand new.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I was trying to be funny with the "virus" thang. 

In any event, I would expect it to be a one-time issue. If it continues, immediately make a warranty claim.

Jyad
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ha.  I realized that you were kidding, but only after I went back and re-read it but I had already hit the "post" button.....I was going too fast... 

Yes, I hope it is a one time thing.

I read on a few websites that UPS's shut themselves down after a few minutes if the load is less than 20 or 25 watts when on battery mode (low load shutdown).  Supposedly, low loads like that are not good for the lead acid battery.. 

Lo load shutdown search

My modem, router and base station combined are probably 20 watts or less....

Well, I tried to replicate that by unplugging the UPS .  I did it for an hour and a half and the modem, router and Arlo base station were running fine off the UPS battery and the UPS display showed "480 minutes remaining", so I am not sure if that theory is true..