Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

This new updated App sure drains battery fast and make a significant warm/heat feel on iPhone 5s and 6 especially in live view.. It sometimes freezes when in full screen mode during live view. In full screen, landscape mode still have the top bar showing with the status icons. Pressing the live button doesn't always starts. When it does, only for a few seconds and stops..  Hmm.. am wondering what bug did the  talented Arlo Software Engineers fix?  

137 REPLIES 137
UK_MarkB
Star
Star

I'm not sure about anyone else but on Nov 4th I was updated by a level 2 support expert that I should rest assured that they are working on this concern.

I've heard nothing since.

Has anyone else heard from Netgear on this "concern?"

Nupie
Star
Star
The clowns at netgear support are now trying to blame our devices for the malfunction. Here’s their latest response to me:

My name is Pearl and I am answering this email on behalf of the previous Expert. I have reviewed your case as well as the screen shots that you have provided. Upon reviewing your case, I noticed that you were live streaming with your camera. To further isolate the problem, I hope that you can perform another tests:

1. Reboot your phone.
2. Install a YouTube app and stream a video for 5 minutes.
3. Observe how much battery % will drop per minute and if your phone heats up.
4. Afterwards, launch the Arlo app.
5. Leave the app open for 5 minutes without doing live streaming with your camera.
6. Observe how how much battery % will drop per minute.
7. Afterwards, go to Settings > General > Battery > Battery Usage. Compare the battery usage of both YouTube and Arlo app.

Afterwards, test your phone's battery.

1. Go Settings > General > Battery.
2. Note the Usage and Standby times.
3. Then put the device to sleep by pressing the on/off switch at the top.
4. After five minutes check the change in the Usage and Standby times.
5. If your device is working correctly, the Usage time should have have gone up by less than a minute, while the Standby time should have gained five minutes.

I also recommend to follow other tips to save the battery life when using an app:

1. Adjust your phone's brightness.
2. If you aren't using Geofencing mode, disable the Location Services for your app. Settings > Privacy > Location Services. Turn off location services for Arlo app.
3. Reduce the time that you are streaming with your cameras. Just like watching videos using another app, live streaming with the camera can also affect your phone's battery
Nupie
Star
Star
At this point, no one is working on a fix.
They are humoring us. This junk is going back. I’ve waited long enough.
cherlock
Star
Star
They’re trying to use the iOS battery issues as the fault. None of my other apps heat up the phone, and Apple doesn’t maintain Netgear apps, therefore it’s Netgears responsibility.
UK_MarkB
Star
Star

Hi Nupie, it does sound like we are being played.

There are enough of us in this community having the same issue to warrant a serious escalation and for us to be kept informed. For a while I was adding each addition to this thread to my support case - but bored now.

I wonder if our phones could get so hot as to cause permanent damage? I wonder if that could lead to a fire? That would be sensational PR for Netgear.

I wonder if Apple knows that one of the Apps available from their site drains the battery and makes their phone hot.

Thank goodness none of us is speculating about such things on Facebook or anywhere else.

come on Netgear. Wake up and treat us with some respect. Get on this thread and talk to the community you’ve nurtured.

DYJ
Guide
Guide

I agree with all of you guys here. We spent quite a bit on this product and really believe in its ability.......but this software is brutal to use because of the battery drain. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you all opened cases with support AND complained to Apple?

Nupie
Star
Star

Nupie
Star
Star
Netgear can probably fix this issue in 15 minutes but they have to admit they have a problem with their app. From the support responses I’ve received, it’s not their problem. It’s your devices problem.
DYJ
Guide
Guide

Should we all just go to the iOS app in the Apple App store and give it 1 star and comment on the battery drain issue right now?

UK_MarkB
Star
Star
Done. Regrettably but deservedly.
DYJ
Guide
Guide

I just did as well. 

breinders
Tutor
Tutor

Done.  One star review in Apple Store.  Will gladly update once Netgear addresses the root cause.  

Netgear - Is there someone moderating this??  Here is an opportunity to have a positive interaction with your core and vocal base of users.  Take a couple of your developers for a couple of days and look at this.  It is simple to reproduce and they should be able to see where the code is having a leak of some sort that is consuming CPU and causing the battery and heat issues.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

breinders,

i've escalated this topic for further investigation. I will post an update when I have more information.

JamesC

Nupie
Star
Star

cherlock
Star
Star

I've left appropiate comments on the Costco site for reviews from customers. I'm sure they do a nice business for Netgear.

BTW -- i have an iphone 7, can the subject be update to include a wider audience and search result?

breinders
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks JamesC.

We would appreciate any updates you are allowed to provide even ahead of a resolution being found.  

UK_MarkB
Star
Star

James, are you the same person who picked up this thread on or about 17 Oct and escalated this on 23 Oct? Are you saying the same thing  (paste) now 3 weeks later.

The lack of meaningful feedback is causing frustrating amongst the already disappointed customers who are now sharing The issue widely. 

I’d recommend involving your PR team whilst engineering are trying  to work it out (or are they?). 

Khorn
Tutor
Tutor
I just bought an Arlo Pro last night and I may take it back because of this battery issue. My battery drains 10% in just minutes. Nothing else I use does this. Here’s a pic of my battery usage since purchasing it less than 24 hours ago.
Silverdodge
Star
Star

Glad I found this thread, just bought Arlo Q and first things I noticed was how quickly my iPhone 7 battery was depleted.  Unless it in imporves in the next few days back to Best Buy it goes. 

DYJ
Guide
Guide
We are all waiting for a fix right now. There’s. I doubt the Arlo is a great product, but this battery issue is driving EVERYONE up the wall. We are all leaving 1star reviews in the App Store right now.......

I’m just glad I bought this from Costco so it can go back anytime.
UK_MarkB
Star
Star

I am updating my support case with screenshots from each new member experiencing  the problem. Netgear Support just confirmed that they are leaving the case open and they are still waiting for an update, presumably from their developers? There is some hope folks.

JTizzle4shizzle
Initiate
Initiate

Glad I found this thread.  We have used Arlo for a long time.  Added Arlo Baby and wife left stream on in baby room with the phone charging overnight.

When she woke up her battery was only 37% charged.  It appears the arlo app used more than charger could charge overnight.

gildrush
Apprentice
Apprentice

I just measured the temperature on the back of my IPhone 7 IOS 11.1.2. With the Arlo app opened to Library and I watched a video then put it down when it finihed. With a instant read thermometer touching its back, the temp went up to 99.2 F. I hit the HOME button to close the app and temp started dropping immediatley. In my experience, it begins after viewing a video and the app is left open. Arlo is the only app that this happens to. I love Arlo and hope for a fix soon, before any harm is done.     Smiley Frustrated

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Again, have you also complained to Apple? There are many issues with iOS being reported on the Internet. While it well could be an Arlo app issue, it's also possible that Apple has a hand in it, too, or by itself.