Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Alerts on Android Delayed Until You Wake or Unlock Phone

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Luddy
Apprentice
Apprentice

I currently have two Android phones running latest version of Android on each and latest Arlo software app.  Base and cameras are all up to date on FW.  This has been broken for a while now but was working at one time.  In fact I recently retired a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge and it was broke on there as well but was also working there at one point.  Alerts only come AFTER waking the phone by either unlocking it or hitting a button.  Phones involved now are a Google Pixel 3 and a Samsung Galaxy S9.

Totally wiping the app and clearing cache etc does nothing to fix the issue.  I see other people claim the issue is fixed but it is still broken.

Any ideas?  I am really fed up with Arlo and have been a long time Netgear user since VueZone.  Don't even get me started on the Security Lights.  At least Geofencing seems to work (most of the time).  Even that sometimes requires waking the phone once home to get it to realize I am in "Home" mode.

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Arlo Smart notifications seem to require the phone be awake or be prepared to wait for them. Removing the camera from active Smart returns to immediate notifications. Email notifications aren't affected.

Luddy
Apprentice
Apprentice

@jguerdat I am not using nor have I ever used Arlo Smart.  I only have the free plan.  This broke a few updates ago and txt alerting hasn't worked correctly since.  Any other applications that use text messaging on both phones work just fine, it is just Arlo that is busted.  Go figure.  Waking the phones always gets the text alerts to show lol.  Kind of defeats the purpose.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

And the app is set to turn off battery optimization in the phone settings?

Luddy
Apprentice
Apprentice

@jguerdat  The setting did not appear to be in place however after changing both phones, the alerts still do not come until after waking the phone(s).

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I don't have the same problem so I would suggest opening a case with support:

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

Luddy
Apprentice
Apprentice
@jguerdat are you running Android Pie OS? My system is Arlo Pro. Thanks
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I have a mix of Oreo (Samsung Galaxy Tab S3) and Pie (Nexus 6 and Pixel 3 XL).