Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Re: Anything better than arlo?

Discussion stats
  • 26 Replies
  • 21 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
Kaskillah Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm really getting fed up with the terrible operation of my arlo pro system. I'm getting nowhere with the issues of the cameras and base station either from arlo's support or the community. It's really pathetic that since arlo's customer support is so bad that you have to rely on a user community for answers. I really regret I ever bought this junk. I can't return any of it because Bestbuy only had a 15 day return policy. I'll never buy anything from them again either. I wish I had bought it from Costco because I could have returned it

I've done some research and really haven't found anything else that really works well. I think a bunch of old soup cans strung together would have worked as well as the arlo does/doesn't.

Model: VMB4000 | Arlo Pro/Pro2 Base Station
Highlighted
ChemBob Initiate
Initiate

I too am exceedingly frustrated with these cameras and the software, constantly having to log in with username and password every time I want to look at a camera. BTW, this is dangerous; has anyone at Arlo thought about that? What if I'm trying to quickly check whether or not someone is trying to break into my house and they manage to do so while I'm trying to get my password in? They could at least give us a choice to stay logged in. It won't even allow me to use my fingerprint on my MBPro and I don't need the extra Arlo login nonsense, because it is my personal Mac and once I close it, I have to access it with either my Apple watch or my fingerprint, both of which are trouble-free.

Getting to your question. I don't know of any decent wireless cameras for outdoor use. I say that even though I'm using Arlos. However, for indoor use I highly recommend the Wyze cameras. These cameras are fast, they catch all the action and even put a highlight box around whatever is moving in the video, whether watching live or viewing a recording. They are high resolution and have IR for night. They can notify you or not, your choice and I NEVER have any trouble with them. The best part is that these cameras are only $20 each!! I have 5 and I plan to get more. You can't use them outside, but you can aim them outside through the windows. They do have to be plugged in to an outlet. If I were not so invested in Arlo hardware, I wouldn't buy them again. They are like attention hogs, something always has to be done to maintain them. I rarely (never) have all five of the Arlos running at once. I have three Pro cameras and two of my original Arlos have utterly failed and will no longer work from the 4-pack I first bought. The ones that still work go offline randomly then sometimes come back on, sometimes not. If not I have to go outside, get my ladder, and restart them. They are useless if this happens when you are away from home. 

Redmoonstar Luminary
Luminary

I am in the process of changing all my Arlo pro's to EufyCam's. I have had my pro's since Nov 17 and have had many issues, my base station has been replaced twice and two cameras as well. I purchased a 4 camera eufy system and am in the process of purchasing three more add on cameras. The app opens almost instantly and I can access live view immediately not like Arlo where I have to wait several seconds for the app to open before accessing live view. The video is much clearer than the Arlo including night vision, it's also much clearer when zooming very little pixilation not like Arlo when it's very pixilated. Cameras also have an alarm that can be turned off in the away mode that activates on movement. They also have an alarm that can be set to activate if someone tries to remove them. There are no fees unless you want to subscribe to cloud storage,  base comes with a16g SD card which can be changed to a 128gb ( I'm changing as I will have 7 camera's and we are going away for a few weeks) but you can only access this from the app while logged in. There are a few differences in settings,  I can't trigger camera's from other camera's however the motion detection is much better ( at least compared to my Arlo's) so they are picking up movement where I need it. The battery can last up to a year depending on usage,  I have my camera's set to record for a specific time so mine may not last a year but I'm sure they will do better than my Arlo as I have to change batteries each month. I have ended up with outdoor charging cables for 3 of my Arlo's and a solar panel for a fourth as the batteries needed changing while we were on holidays and we wouldn't have had any coverage for the last three weeks we were away. I am in Australia and have been waiting for these camera's to be released here. I have only had the camera's just over a week and have been comparing them to the Arlo's and they are much better so far. Some of the early reviews weren't so good but Anker has addressed these and later reviews are much better. I would certainly check them out. 

Pokiemom Apprentice
Apprentice

ANYTHING has to be better, IMHO.  I'm having all the same issues, and being a senior on a fixed income, I can't afford to experiment.  I got mine to see who's at the door in REAL TIME, which it never has.  That said, the local neighborhood groups here use the Ring doorbell and it appears pretty reliable and captures good quality video. I'm still researching options.

Kaskillah Apprentice
Apprentice

Well here's another issue with this forum. I just tried to give likes to those who replied to my thread and I couldn't. What's up with that.

I too am older and climbing ladders everytime one of these POS cameras goes off line is a PITA! I've only had the them since July and the cameras have gone off countless times. I'm getting very agile on ladders like never before. I have called ARLO but it seems they discourage you from doing this because of the excrutiatly long waits to get connected to someone who is very hard to understand.

I learned just how unreliable a week after getting it. I was on a trip and while checking my cameras, one had gone off line, I called ARLO and after nearly being on hold for nearly 30 minures, I was told I would only be able to physically reactivate it. Needlrss to say I could not do this being a 1000 miles away. I had to deal with a lot of needless anxiety. Luckily nothing happened but I lost my faith in ARLO early on. I wanted to return the whole mess but by the time I got home, the return period was over.

The camera system offered by the previous poster looks worth looking into as well as there are some hardwired systems that will do the job.

I could hope that maybe someone could start a class action suit against ARLO so we could all get satisfaction.

Kaskillah Apprentice
Apprentice

Unfortunately it seems that EufyCam has some of the same lagging recording issues that arlo does. According to PC Mag, "Motion detection alerts arrived instantly, but there was a pause before the camera began recording, which resulted in clipped videos. " "Until Eufy addresses some of these issues, you're better off with the Arlo Pro 2, "

Not good if arlo is recommended over EufyCam.

Redmoonstar Luminary
Luminary

How old was the review? I received a notification from one of my camera's and tapped the notification,  app opened very quickly and I watched a car come in my driveway, park and our employee get out and come to the door in real time no lag as he knocked ( camera showing him knocking same time) and it was all recorded on eufy. My Arlo however I have set up to trigger from different camera's as they miss lots of motion eg, an employee can pull up in his vehicle, walk to company vehicle, get in and drive away and Arlo completely misses all unless triggered by another camera. The eufy I haven't been able to trigger by another camera and it shows employee getting in/ out of vehicle and driving (walking back to own vehicle) away. I know the reviews early on complained of slow recoding and missing motion but so far mine are better than the Arlo pro's I have. I've placed some camera's next to Arlo specifically to test motion and recordings. I don't have ring but others recommend them. 

Kaskillah Apprentice
Apprentice

It was March of this year, https://www.pcmag.com/review/367445/eufycam.

Maybe they've fixed something?

Redmoonstar Luminary
Luminary

So this morning I did see some lag on one of my eufy camera's but I think I need to reposition it slightly which I will do today and then update here. I've also noticed that recording time is quicker coming from the side (edge of view) of the camera than more central. I have my camera's positioned so I I can see our shed doors so we can see anyone trying to get in or coming out. I also have them positioned on the front of the house although I'm waiting on more camera's to replace the Arlo's so won't know about recording starts from those positions until they come. 

Kaskillah Apprentice
Apprentice

Beware of the camera they send you. I had a camera replaced and I'm suspicious they sent me a refurbished camera that's might be bad. It eats the battery life quicker than the others that get more activity and it's gone off line like the old camera.

Redmoonstar Luminary
Luminary

I've ordered new Eufycams not replacement Arlo Pro's ( mine are out of warranty). I'm going to sell the Arlo's as soon as I can get the rest of the Eufycam's and get them in place. I am much happier with the Eufycam's even though I've only had them a week and a half and want them all in place before we go away. I have two Arlo Pro's that continually have the IR lights flashing at night and drain the battery even though they are plugged into a power source. I contacted arlo support and was told that yes they are defective but no longer under warranty so can't be replaced. These two were replaced less than a year ago due to battery drain.

Kaskillah Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm trying to find my reciepts for all the arlo stuff I bought so I get figure on a price to get rid of this junk. I will probably have a hard time selling them because I will be honest about it as opposed to how arlo has been with their consumers.

Pokiemom Apprentice
Apprentice

All I can say is my problem was ME, and when I figured out via Google how to download the new app, I'm pleased with my Arlo.  I only have one camera as I only wanted to monitor front door activity, but I may get a couple more if everyone is jumping off to other brands. As long as I'm not forced into a subscription, I like it just fine.

Redmoonstar Luminary
Luminary

So this afternoon after my husband got home from work he left herro get fuel and around 5 mins later an employee drove dcin. The EufyCam's picked up motion quickly and there may have been a slight lag but I couldn't tell as his vehicle is recorded pretty much straight away  within view of the camera. He pulled up and walked to the door where I have an Arlo pro camera as I'm waiting for more EufyCam's . He was around three feet from the camera and I have no recordings on that camera while he was there.  My dog also followed him so there was plenty of movement. The camera is set to 100 for motion detection. The EufyCam I have further away on my verandah picked him up walking to and on the verandah but it doesn't chi cover the door. He would have been twenty feet  away from the EufyCam when it started recording and the Arlo didn't record anything even when he left. I had this camera set to trigger from another camera, BButton b . ut have replaced the trigger camera with an eufy so obviously it was only recording from being trigger by the other cam as it certainly didn't record today! 

Pokiemom Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm no expert, but you may have issues with competing systems on your wi-fi.   I'm keeping my Arlo.  

Redmoonstar Luminary
Luminary

I'm glad you are happy with yours and it's  working well for you. 

Kaskillah Apprentice
Apprentice

There's is no wi-fi competition issues. I turn off any other wi-fi users and the issue is the same. 

When I have a chance, I'm going to try calling Eufy cam's support line and see how long it takes to get through to them as well as check to see if they have a similar community forum.

Kaskillah Apprentice
Apprentice

I  found a community website for EufyCam and they don't appear to have any current issues with their camera. There were some back in March with recording lags but nothing now. They much have fixed that issue unlike arlo.

I can't get one of my cameras to reliably record despite setting it 100% sensitivity.

I'm seriously looking in to Eufy. They are expensive and I have questions about their outdoor mounts. They look like the use a magnetic base like the arlo. The arlo mag base is the biggest POS I have seen. I bought the screw on bases for all my cams because I did not trust those mag bases to securely stay attached to any wall.

Boead Aspirant
Aspirant

EufyCam uses the same Magnetic system. The other they show is optional/additional just like Arlos. 
Have you tried the Logi Circle2's? They are worse!! At certain angles it just falls off its holder, 1 week battery, no HomeKit support for anything wire-free.

I was considering Eufy but the app looks horrible and it records to a supplied 16GB SD card that is upgradable to 128GB that then can go up to the cloud...
LONG battery life but it uses 4 AA Batteries for each camera.

Arlo is the highest rated in its category for a reason, most others suck worse!

Answer? Buy a $2000 wired system and have it installed. Ive helped install 3 of them for my Boss over the years and they have issues too!

Kaskillah Apprentice
Apprentice

Well that sure bursts my bubble. I have a spare 1TB portable HD that I could have used with the Eufy. I don't care for the fact the Eufy uses 4 AA batteries and even the best ones now leak.

I don't plan on a hard wired system since I am planning on moving early next year. I don't want to add something I'm going to leave behind.

Pokiemom Apprentice
Apprentice

We all bought Arlo for a reason. For me, it's a good price, the ability to monitor my front door area for unwanted visitors and to see when I get packages delivered, etc.  It was super easy to install and has been reliable, except when I made mistakes in downloading the new app. My point is, if you want written guarantees, sign up with a security company like Brinks or one of those and pay someone else to install their expensive equipment and then pay every month for them to monitor OR, keep your Arlo and work with support to find solutions.  I have mine on the magnetic mount, and I guarantee it's not going to fall off. I get good battery life, which keeps me off the stepladder when I do change batteries.  I think this conversation is over.

Redmoonstar Luminary
Luminary

I received 4 magnetic mounts and 4 outdoor mounts with my Eufycam, 4 camera package. I have used the Arlo magnetic mount outside under my verandah since Nov 17 and never had a problem with it falling. I also glued the magnetic mount to a magnet so I cound place it on my metal shed without having to try and attach the permanent mount. Both of these have been there since Nov 17 and I have never had a problem. I have now glued the eufycam outdoor attachement to a magnet and one of the magnetic mounts to a magnet for placing on another shed we have just put up. I will see how these last. I bought the arlo pro system because I didn't want to have to wire a camera system incase I needed to move the camera's. The Eufycam's weren't available when I needed a system ( we were having someone snooping at 4.30am) and the arlo seemed to suit my needs. It took me several weeks to get it set up how and where I needed it but once done it worked well. Unfortunately arlo then did an update in Feb 18 that ruined the system for many users including me. Battery drain became a problem, motion detection deteriorated so movement it had been picking up was no longer being picked up and my set recording times stopped working. I contacted support and had my base station replaced twice which still didn't resolve the issue. I tried to tell support it had been working fine until the update but they weren't listening. My arlo's are still hit and miss as to whether they record to the set time or not. I have had two camera's replaced due to battery drain and have the same problem again but have been told by support that since they are no longer under warranty they cannot replace them. These two camera's are connected to a permanent power source and still drain over night. I had to connect four of my five camera's to power sources as they are draining each month, sometimes two weeks, when I first got them it was three months whick was oK as they have lots of recordings but now I've had a hip replacement and need another and find it very difficult to climb laters every monthe to charge batteries. If this system was still working as it was when I first purchased it I would be getting more arlo camera's but it's not so I'm changing to the eufycam's so I don't have to check two systems and hopefully not have to climb the ladder every two - four weeks. If your system is working well and your happy that's great but there are many (not users fault) they are not working as they should and there doesn't seem to be any fix. This is when we all get abit sick of it and look for something else that will do the service the same or better with longer battery life. I'm not replacing the two arlo camera's that are draining while connected to power with more arlo's when I've had so much trouble hence new system.

Kaskillah Apprentice
Apprentice

I never had a problem with the camera coming off the magnet but my issue was how the mount attaches to a wall. The mount only hangs off of one screw with a very small head and that was supposed to hold the camera.

Now I'm having a problem with a camera sucking a battery dry. It went off line without any low battery warning.

Eyevnoidea Aspirant
Aspirant

I too have become utterly frustrated, disgusted and thoroughly fed up with “Arlo” and their poor customer support.

After only a year, and five battery changes (@ an average of $20/per), one of the three cameras finally just quit working for no apparent reason.

When I purchased this “wire free” system and its three cameras, it featured the ability to set activity zones so that you could omit areas within the frame which caused false notifications.

Now I find out that in order to use this feature, I have to pay more money to Arlo on a monthly basis. W R O N G!!!!

If thy weren’t out of warranty, I would send them back to where I purchased them! JUNK!

I did find an exceptionally good IP camera at a very reasonable price made by Amcrest (Wireless IP camera), and was pretty easy to set up. I recommend it over this junk that Arlo oversells!

I will never purchase another “Arlo” setup, nor will I recommend it to anyone else!

Model: VMC3030 | Arlo Wire-Free Camera
Pokiemom Apprentice
Apprentice

You do realize that the batteries are rechargeable with the Arlo charger?  I've had my system over a year and one spare battery is all I've ever needed, so one is always charged, and I've gotten very good battery life from them, holding a charge 3-4 months at a time. If you found something you think is superior, good for you. I hope it is trouble free, costs you no fees and suits your needs. This forum is to share experiences, problems and hopefully solutions offered by others. All the best to you.