Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Anyone using the solar panel but have to aim it north instead of south?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
GearNetRouter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Anyone using the solar panel but have to aim it north instead of south? Obviously most of us live in North America, and the best direction is south or true south from what I have read. Given the short cable it comes with I'm not gonna have many options to move it. My cam faces north. I'm wondering if your panel faces north, how successful the charging is? 

5 REPLIES 5
bones50502001
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm in the same situation and find if you fully charge the camera first, the solar panel does a great job keeping the camera fully charged. I was sceptical, but the solar panel works great. 

GearNetRouter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

See my thread on overcharding LION batteries. Do you know if the solar continues to attempt to charge the battery if its at 100% already? I suggest letting the battery drain to say 50% to someowhere below 80% and see if the solar panel pushes it back to 100% or stops at 80%. This is to prevent explosion and/or premature wear on the battery due to overcharding. Someone else on this board said the AC charger will push to 80% then stop. Not sure about the solar. Let us know.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

See my reply to this.

Using any of the Arlo chargers will only charge to an actual 80% of battery capacity to preserve the battery and protect the equipment.  Only the use of the external battery charging station will charge the battery to it's full capacity.

GearNetRouter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You define "Arlo Charger" as including the solar? If the answer is yes, then I will purchase soon. Please confirm. Thanks.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes, solar panel, too. My batteries will charge to what the app shows as 100% and will immediately start discharging when the sjjn goesmdow . If I charge the batteries with the charging station, the charge is shown to be 100% for a few days until the battery depletes sufficiently to indicate otherwise.