Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Trucha
Apprentice
Apprentice
I know there's a topic with low speaker volume coming out of the Pro. Can someone confirm that it can be used to communicate with someone at the front door like the Ring for example.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Many users are reporting the issue has been resolved with the latest camera firmware version along with the latest app versions installed, see here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/Arlo-Pro-weak-audio/td-p/1157949

Be sure your camera is up to date with the latest firmware version (1.090.0.0_9945 as of 11/17/2016) and be sure you have the latest available version of the Arlo mobile app from the app store.

If you are still having issues, Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

View solution in original post

63 REPLIES 63
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Use of a computer or maybe the iOS app works fine. It's the Android app for sure that has issues.

Trucha
Apprentice
Apprentice
Good to know thata what I'm using Android however low speaker volume using IOS as well sorry don't have the version but it's a new I Phone
dsq
Aspirant
Aspirant

Speaker volume out of the Arlo Pro using my iPhone 4 and 7 is very low. Almost pointless having a speaker in the camera.

I wish there was an accessory for the Arlo that was a powered speaker that would put out some volume.

Psaras
Apprentice
Apprentice

duplicate post sorry

Psaras
Apprentice
Apprentice

iOS app is also inuadible as all users have reported. I have tested it on iPad, iPhone 6, iPhone 6s and iPhone7on network and via internet -- all inadible out of the Pro's speaker. 20-25db ie a whisper at 3' at 100% volume.

prof57
Guide
Guide

There is definitely a problem with sound (weak sound). I have tried arlo app on ios 10.1 running on Iphone 6s, Firefox on windows 10, as well as Chrome on windows 10. Outcome is still very week sound even though setting for sound is 100%. In all of my tests-indoor as well as outdoor cameras-you can hardly hear the sound when you are 10-15 fr from the camera. This occurs on all four of my cameras. Has anyone talked to customer support? Did Netgear indicate how many dbs should the speaker produce?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No idea on ultimate sound level but with W10 you may be able to increase the mic gain, depending on the sound card driver. I had to increase mine.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

We are aware of an issue with audio on the Arlo Pro and are currently working hard toward implementing a fix as soon as possible. I will keep you updated with any new information I receive on this topic.

JamesC

Shadowboricua
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same problem here. Tried iOS, Android, PC, Mac, etc... still low volume.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
At least on my PC, increasing the mic gain worked fine. I can't do that for the app.
ldefrenne
Aspirant
Aspirant

Wondering if it can be fixed via firmware upgrade or if they just physically can't pull off volume.   Wanting to buy but this is throwing me off for now.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Since it works fine on a computer, it's a software issue.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Update: Engineering has identified the root cause of this issue. We are currently testing the fix internally and hope to have a release very soon that should resolve the issue.

Thank you for your patience during this process.

JamesC

Larc4
Star
Star

Any news on the update? Iread in another forum that the issue was fixed, but mine isn't.
How do I check if there is a firmware update?

Shadowboricua
Aspirant
Aspirant

No luck. There was an update but I am not sure that it fixed the problem. At least not mine, the volume is still unacceptable low. I am not sure how the girl from the video/adverstisement gets the attention of the mailman.

Dill_
Apprentice
Apprentice
I love this system for what it is. I think the speakers in the cameras are as loud as these little guys can reasonably go. I like dsq's idea of a speaker add-on, I feel this could be a source of inconem for Netgear to have accessories like GoPro has for mounts. Even if they sold a dedicated communication version of this camera with a real speaker.
Larc4
Star
Star

@Dill_  The speaker is loud when I speak from my laptop. But not my phone.
Definitely a phone software problem.

Larc4
Star
Star

@Shadowboricua Have you tried the speaker through a PC?
Mine works through that, at least proving the speaker can have volume!

Psaras
Apprentice
Apprentice

Dill_ wrote:
I think the speakers in the cameras are as loud as these little guys can reasonably go.

No, we know that is not true at all. I am getting 1/3 the db out of the advertised as functioning iphone app as I get out of a laptop. I dont use a laptop for the Arlo Pro interface, I use what they advertised and marketed the pro on -- iphones and ipad, and the volume is way lower than laptops we users have tested it with.

so the speaker can produce loud and clear audible two way, just not with the advertised interfaces yet

Dbain28
Star
Star

I received an facebook response from one of arlo tech reps, who said they are aware of the problem and are working inhouse right now to have a fix for its customers as soon as possible. 

Aries007
Aspirant
Aspirant
I just bought my Arlo pro last night and all 4 camera microphone volumes are extremely low. If this issue does not get fixed within a few days I'm returning it and goin with Nest.

Please James C update us on how it is being resolved?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Many users are reporting the issue has been resolved with the latest camera firmware version along with the latest app versions installed, see here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/Arlo-Pro-weak-audio/td-p/1157949

Be sure your camera is up to date with the latest firmware version (1.090.0.0_9945 as of 11/17/2016) and be sure you have the latest available version of the Arlo mobile app from the app store.

If you are still having issues, Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@JamesC, I can vouch for still having low volume with the latest firmware/app.  My case is still open but haven't heard back in a while.  Guess I'll have to pulse them.  Case #27594499

ruthroche
Tutor
Tutor

I installed my Arlo Q cameras on Sunday 12/15/16.  The install auto applied the latest patches.  The speaker is still very low.  Someone with a hearing aid cannot hear me.  She can hear something, but it's not legible.  This is a great product and the install as the easiest I've every expereinced w/ really good instructions, but not having the speaker capability as advertised is a BIG show stoppper for me.  I will return the product if this is not resolved.