Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Any way that I can connect two outdoor cameras to wireless network AND still add them to Base?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
CLMcKenzie
Tutor
Tutor

I have read a previous question regarding the  Arlo SMart Hub joining the netwrok as a new network device, and the inability to access it. I accept I do not have need to access it, but is there any way that I can connect two outdoor cameras to the wireless network and still add them to the Arlo base? With a Stucco house there is no way an internally mounted base can get a very strong signal to 4 outdoor corners of the house, that is why I placed a TP-Link wireless repeater outside on the patio so other cameras could connect. The Arlo cameras are connecting to the base station, but on that side of the house, they do so with only 1-2 bars of signal strength-only because they do not benefit from a full strength network signal. Can anyone propose a resolution to this?

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Nope. Use of the base requires that the cameras connect directly to the base, not via your WiFi. There are two possible solutions:

1) Add 1 or more bases so all cameras have a good connection.

2) Use the newer models of cameras such as the Essential or Pro 4 cameras to allow them to connect via your WiFi. 

CLMcKenzie
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the response. Can Arlo tell me if the 2 bars reception is sufficient to remain stable and stay online 100%?

It seems that the ultimate flexibility and utilization of the Arlo package is sadly overstated and quite restricted. Since the unit is obviously connecting to the base utilizing wi-fi, the restrictions seem somewhat arbitrary. I will look at the price of another base,or the price of two cameras to replace those on outside corners of the house and make a decision. However, it seems likely that if I place 2 replacement cameras (either Essential or Pro4) that the next issue will be that they will not interact with the base station, and thus I will lose alerts, etc, and be stuck with 2 isolated cameras, not as part of a system. My only alternative is to wait to see how many incidents or cases of those same to cameras to drop off the network. In any case, I may have overestimated Arlo capabilities. I simply should not have to purchase more equipment to get the basics up, running, and stable.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The issue of WiFi connectivity is the same, whether using Arlo cameras or a phone or laptop. The published spec of 300 feet is the same but that's also in a perfect world with no walls, interference, etc. Good luck on ever finding that sort of location.  The stucco house is a somewhat unique issue which revolves around the steel mesh used to allow the stucco to adhere. That creates something of a Faraday cage which blocks many signals. That's not an Arlo fault, it's just physics.

As for use of a WiFi-connected camera, while they aren't connected to your base, all functionality remains. What you miss is the ability to record locally - that requires connecting to a base since the recordings have to go through that base to get to the servers as well as to be simultaneously record to the local drive.