Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

All I see on Arlo Pro is rain blobs on camera and IR reflecting back from blobs

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
matthewgo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi all,

I setup my Arlo Pro Cameras today, they seemed great until it rained in the evening. Now all I see is rain blobs on the camera and the IR reflecting back from the blobs.

Do these cameras actually work in the rain as advertised?

Any advice would be great. I've power cycled and re-synced the cameras/base station.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
matthewgo
Aspirant
Aspirant
Photos to be attached
matthewgo
Aspirant
Aspirant
Photo attached
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The camera view isn't possible to see in that shot so I'm going to guess that it isn't tilted down much. Since the PIR sensors used to detect motion only work on people out to ~25 feet, tilting the camera down to capture only the useful area would help screen the lens from rain. There are also skins available that have a hood over the lens that may help. A careful wipe of the lens with a product such as Rain-X may also help.

matthewgo
Aspirant
Aspirant
Unfortunately it's pointing as far down as the magnetic wall player will allow. I'm shocked if this is the product "out of the box" and you need to buy add ons for it to work. Looks like they will be returned ☹️
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@matthewgo wrote:
Unfortunately it's pointing as far down as the magnetic wall player will allow. I'm shocked if this is the product "out of the box" and you need to buy add ons for it to work. Looks like they will be returned ☹️

@jguerdat can't see a clear enough image to know what the camera is pointing at, so he is speculating about the angle.

If there's water actually running over the camera in the rain, then you do need to put it somewhere else.  If it's just moisture on the lens, then try getting some RainX or an equivalent product.