Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Mobis
Apprentice
Apprentice
CHROME

Saying goodbye to Flash in Chrome

245 REPLIES 245
danwriter
Apprentice
Apprentice

"Skittles" worked! 

cryocide
Star
Star

Thank you, @JessicaP .  While I'm only a customer and not a community volunteer, but please allow me to make some suggestions.  First, regarding "SuperUsers," might I recommend the position be renamed to something less associated with System Admin privileges?  "Top Contributor" may be more appropriate.

Second, I feel it would be quite appropriate that your link and the content of the Tweet be re-posted in its own, perhaps locked, thread and pinned to the top of this, or perhaps all, forums.  This kind of important info is easily lost in the churning sea of posts on a busy forum like this one, to the point where a search yields only a smaller sea instead of a definitive answer. 

Again, thank you.

viper111
Star
Star

@JessicaP wrote:

Hey everyone,

We wanted to let you know that our CEO has addressed the issue regarding moving from Adobe Flash to HTML5.

What is wrong here, HTML stands for HyperText Markup Language!

The number 5 is the version!

HTML comunicate with our browers, like Mozilla, IE, Safari. The development is controlled by the browser developers like APPLE, MICROSOFT and more.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML5

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WHATWG

Based on this, you could use PHP, Pyton, ASP.NET and other programing language, to comunicate with html.

So those could generate html pages to comunicate with the browsers!

Viper

ADD on:

HTML5 is not a question it is needed.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@viper111 wrote:

@JessicaP wrote:

Hey everyone,

We wanted to let you know that our CEO has addressed the issue regarding moving from Adobe Flash to HTML5.

There's nothing wrong here.  HTML5 includes specific support for streaming that isn't available in older versions of html.

XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice

@TomMac @JamesC

This flash issue has been a pain for a long time now.  It should have been fixed a long time ago.

Arlo seem determined to disappoint customers. They prioritise new gimmicks over basic functionality and their customers berate them for it.

For example

Turning Arlo on and off is tedious.  It's always been tedious.  This  is the most fundamental function.

When will you provide a one click shortcut to change modes ???? Trawling through menus and waiting for servers to respond is tedious.  Again requested years ago and not delivered.

Please start prioritising fixes for the issues customers have been requesting for years.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

@XJW 

"Please start prioritising fixes for the issues customers have been requesting for years."

I wish I could pick what ideas Arlo works on first... but I don't work for Arlo ( other then getting a t-shirt now and then 🙂 )

Yes. it would be great to have a wiget to toglle/arm the system.

Just a long term user like you and tho i might have an ear or two that listens, Arlo sets it's own priorities based on their marketing/designs

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
viper111
Star
Star

@StephenB wrote:

@viper111 wrote:

@JessicaP wrote:

Hey everyone,

There's nothing wrong here.  HTML5 includes specific support for streaming that isn't available in older versions of html.

Streaming is done with the Tag <video> and <audio>

Where is the login and the source of the video files coming from, most likely from a database!

HTML5  will play the video!

Stewcruiser
Initiate
Initiate

What is the strategy to develop a replacement for FLASH PLAYER?  Support runs out soon and we can't have our Arlo products in limbo with our browsers.  HTML5?  Please advise.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@viper111 wrote:

HTML5  will play the video!

So what's your point?  Alro uses Flash today, they have plans to cut over to HTML5, but haven't yet announced the date. They aren't saying the HTML5 won't work, quite the contrary.  It undoubtedly is a fair amount of work to re-do their back end to use it.

We're all getting tired of having to do the flash dance in our browsers, and are hoping they move on to HTML5 sooner rather than later, so there is no disagreement about that.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Arlo has said they will switch over to html5.  Obviously they need to do that before flash is discontinued in 2020.

danwriter
Apprentice
Apprentice

My Skittles comment was meant to underscore the fact that Arlo had not publicly addressed the issue of Flash's demise, and to prompt them to do so at the C level. I'd like to think it worked. The executive suite at tech companies have grown disturbingly distant from their user bases, focused instead on shareholder value and by extension their own bottom lines. Arlo now says they're on it. They have a year to prove it.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@danwriter wrote:

My Skittles comment was meant to underscore the fact that Arlo had not publicly addressed the issue of Flash's demise, and to prompt them to do so at the C level.

To be clear, my own question/comment above was directed to @viper111's posts, not to your earlier skittles one.  

I am hoping they'll move off of flash sooner rather than later.

viper111
Star
Star

@StephenB wrote:

Arlo has said they will switch over to html5.  Obviously they need to do that before flash is discontinued in 2020.

Hi Stephen,

I never said otherwise! I'm just saying that HTML5 won't cut it alone, they need an API. That API need to run on that server. They need to build one like the have on the phone, I do not agree with some people here, the phone apps need to be upgraded to certain standards, to make the web api matching.

I understand ARLO, the modification to be competitive in the future, that will help them to transfer all modification to the web platform.

What arlo should do: Arlo got a great Community, use them as tester for the upgraded apps and the web api.

Other company's do it to.

When ARLO developed the Flash API, that baby was already death.

jamesam
Initiate
Initiate
Chrome, Firefox, and other browsers are disconnecting adobe Flash player at the end of the year 2020.  What is ARLO doing to continue working after that date? As of today it takes a long time to open ARLO because you have to load Flash player each time, and by the time ARLO opens the problem is over.

"Flash is disabled by default As of now, Google Chrome will block Adobe Flash by default on all websites. You can enable it, but you can only use it in the click-to-play mode. You’ll get a warning that Chrome won’t support the Flash Player after December 2020."
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

There are lots of other posts on this subject - they've said they are switching to HTML5.  They haven't said when yet.

@jamesam wrote:

You’ll get a warning that Chrome won’t support the Flash Player after December 2020."

Meaning Arlo has over a year before they are forced to switch to HTML5.  Hopefully they will do that sooner rather than later.

cryocide
Star
Star

@viper111 wrote:

I never said otherwise! I'm just saying that HTML5 won't cut it alone, they need an API. That API need to run on that server. They need to build one like the have on the phone, I do not agree with some people here, the phone apps need to be upgraded to certain standards, to make the web api matching.

I understand ARLO, the modification to be competitive in the future, that will help them to transfer all modification to the web platform.

I don't know what they have going on at the back end, but it sounds like you do.  Maybe you can give them a hand.

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/about/careers/default.aspx

GypseGym
Initiate
Initiate

For the past three days I have not been able to do anything with my Arlo Pro cameras.  I get a message that I need a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.  I have gone through the process to download and install Adlobe Flash Player several dozen times.  No change.  I have a laptop with a current version of Windows 10.  I normally use Mozilla Firefox for browser.  However, I have also used Microsoft Edge on my laptop to access my Arlo account/cameras and get the exact same result as with Firefox.  I have read numerous threads and comments on the Arlo Community support web pages about problems with Adobe Flash Player.  I have not found any help that works for me.  Please tell me how to make the Adobe Flash Player update message go away and get my Arlo security camera videos to work again.  I desperately need my security camera system to work!  Thank you.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@GypseGym wrote:

Please tell me how to make the Adobe Flash Player update message go away and get my Arlo security camera videos to work again.  I desperately need my security camera system to work!  Thank you.

FWIW, I think everyone who uses the web client is wanting to see Flash removed.  I don't know how to make the message completely go away, but you can navigate past those warnings and use the web interface.  

With Chrome, you click on the padlock next to the address bar, and then select "Allow" for flash.  Do this before clicking on "Live" or accessing the video library.  There's a screenshot here: https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/I-see-you-got-rid-of-Flash-but-once-again-an-update-breaks/m-... After you do this you will be prompted to reload the page (and flash will function after you do that).

FIrefox is similar (click on the i or lock icon next to the address), except I'm told that you disable "Content Blocking" instead of allowing Flash.

Edge is clumsiest.  I posted the steps (with screen shots) yesterday here: https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/I-see-you-got-rid-of-Flash-but-once-again-an-update-breaks/m-...

Note that you only need the flash plugin with FireFox.  The other two browsers have flash built in (and it can't be updated without updating the browser).  So part of the problem here is that the message is confusing - in most cases Flash doesn't need to be updated.  Instead it needs to be enabled.

700rng
Tutor
Tutor

yes, but chrome will not longer be supported after 2020

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@700rng wrote:

yes, but chrome will not longer be supported after 2020

December 2020... 

I hope Arlo gets to this sooner, because the "flash dance" gets old pretty quickly.  But I'm not going to stress over a planned deprecation that's still 15 months away.

BeachGal
Initiate
Initiate

Did anyone get a fix for this?

I'm on an up to date Mac and am having the same issue on Firefox and Safari.  I've followed the above instructions ie:  turning of the blocking for this site, but it didn't fix the issue.  I've completely  removed Flash and then reloaded it, so I know it is the most up to date version.  If anyone has any other ideas it would be greatly appreciated.

PBou
Tutor
Tutor

Hi everyone,

Got the same problem, with firefox and Safari. No fix found so far...

I noticed that the login page has just changed, looks like Netgear changed something recently.

PBou
Tutor
Tutor

Android app is still working fine though

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@PBou wrote:

Got the same problem, with firefox and Safari. No fix found so far...

Not sure if this is all available on the Mac, but perhaps try this with firefox

1. log into my.arlo.com
  2. click "live" on a camera.  
  3. When the flash update message appears, a new icon appears between the i and the padlock in the address bar.  Click on that icon, and choose allow flash.  The icon should then change color.
  4. click on the "x" on the flash update message to dismiss it.
  5. click "live" again and it should work.
Robert101
Aspirant
Aspirant
Worked great with Firefox. TY!