ARLO will not connect to internet

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
esvadj
Guide
Guide

I cannot get the base to connect to the internet.  I have had the system well over a year and it has work flawlessly up unit about 2 weeks ago when the middle light has gone off and stayed off.  I have reset, re-booted, replaced cables, and contacted support and have had no luck. 

My last Arlo support case (#41553959) pointed to the Hub being faulty, so I ordered and replaced the hub.  Same problem. 

I am connecting the hub to a Amplifi router.  I have tested the ports on the router and they work fine. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
esvadj
Guide
Guide

My problem has been solved.

After replacing the hub and still not being able to access the internet, I moved to the next link in the chain - my router.

I was running a Amplifi AFi-HD High Density router with 2 mesh points with the hub connected directly to the router.  I contacted Amplifi support; and, after numerous communications they determined the ports (4) were bad on the router.  Other things would work, just not the hub, but they said router AND it was out of warranty so... New Router. 😖

I did some research and decided on the TP-Link Deco home powerline hybrid mesh system.  Hooked it all up, got everything linked to it, and ARLO would still not access the internet.  😡

So, through process of elimination, the problem must be with my internet service provider.  I contacted them and they say its no way they could block one item from the internet, the problem must be with the ARLO hub.  I decided to take my hub to a different location, with a different internet provider to see if it would work.  Hooked it up, plugged it in, and almost immediately linked to the internet.  *anger intensifies*

Back on the phone with my service provider.  Up the chain they send me and this tech support dude knew exactly what was wrong.  At some point my service provider switched to dynamic IP addresses, at this point 2 months ago is when my cameras stopped working.  He switched me to a static IP address and moments later the green internet light FINALLY came back on my hub.

This post is long, but I hope my explanation helps someone else.    

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That sounds like a router config issue. Can you see that the base has an IP address in the router interface? Have you tried a different cable and router port? Have you made a change to the router for security reasons? Do you own the router or is it the ISP's?

esvadj
Guide
Guide

Thanks @jguerdat I have tried a different cable and a different port, no luck.  The router belongs to me and I have made no changes to the router, i woke one morning and the cameras were no longer online. 

I think I have the ability in the router's app to see if the base has an IP address. 

Thanks for any help

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

To check for the base IP address log into the router and look for something like attached devices. You may have to slog through menus to find it. 

One possible fix is to reboot the router and base, in that order.

esvadj
Guide
Guide

@jguerdat

I went through the settings of my router and found the IP address assigned to the hub,  192.168.143.3.  In this menu I had the option to change the IP address.  The options could change the .3 to any number between 3 and 250, so I tried some different address to see if I could get the unit to find the internet.  At 192.168.143.5 the middle light finally came on with a green light, but even with the green light on at this setting, I was unable to locate hub on my network via the app.

I tried a few more random address and had no luck. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you tried simply rebooting the router?

esvadj
Guide
Guide

I have tried this numerous times.  Tonight I will attempt this again, starting with the incoming cable.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@esvadj wrote:

I have tried this numerous times.  Tonight I will attempt this again, starting with the incoming cable.

Changing the IP address of the base won't effect this, unless you've somehow set up duplicate IP addresses on your home network.  Switching to a different port on the router might (though I know you've tested them).

Removing the base station from your account and then adding it back might also help.

esvadj
Guide
Guide

My problem has been solved.

After replacing the hub and still not being able to access the internet, I moved to the next link in the chain - my router.

I was running a Amplifi AFi-HD High Density router with 2 mesh points with the hub connected directly to the router.  I contacted Amplifi support; and, after numerous communications they determined the ports (4) were bad on the router.  Other things would work, just not the hub, but they said router AND it was out of warranty so... New Router. 😖

I did some research and decided on the TP-Link Deco home powerline hybrid mesh system.  Hooked it all up, got everything linked to it, and ARLO would still not access the internet.  😡

So, through process of elimination, the problem must be with my internet service provider.  I contacted them and they say its no way they could block one item from the internet, the problem must be with the ARLO hub.  I decided to take my hub to a different location, with a different internet provider to see if it would work.  Hooked it up, plugged it in, and almost immediately linked to the internet.  *anger intensifies*

Back on the phone with my service provider.  Up the chain they send me and this tech support dude knew exactly what was wrong.  At some point my service provider switched to dynamic IP addresses, at this point 2 months ago is when my cameras stopped working.  He switched me to a static IP address and moments later the green internet light FINALLY came back on my hub.

This post is long, but I hope my explanation helps someone else.