Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras|NETGEAR
Star

ARLO PRO Trade In?

I have the orginal Arlo cameras (14 of them!) and would like to know what the trade-in policy is to recieve the Arlo Pro?

Model: VMC3030 | Arlo Wire-Free Camera
Message 1 of 23
Initiate

Re: ARLO PRO Trade In?

I just bought (4) Arlo 2-Packs, from Costco,on 9/22/16. Had I known about the release of the Arlo Pro, I probably would not have made that purchase. I would be very happy to see a trade-in or discount offer.

Message 2 of 23
Tutor

I would love to have this options as well.
Message 3 of 23
Guide

Well Costco has a 90 return policy so you are in luck.
Message 4 of 23
Guide

This year, I purchased the base station with 5-cameras and would love to hear what Netgear is going to do to accomodate their existing customers.  It really seems like the new Arlo Pro is a culmination of requests and improvements needed that were discovered and funded by the current customers who purchased the Arlo systems. 

I want to try not to be too negative as Netgear has been a great source for a lot of other products I use.  However, it only makes sense they would already have a plan of action for their existing customers who have endured the hardware failures and extreme cost of camera battery usage.  If not, this needs to be addressed quickly as I'm sure most current customers already have or are looking into alternatives. 

Message 5 of 23
Community Manager

While there isn't currently a "buyback" or "trade in" program, keep in mind that the Arlo Pro Cameras are backward compatible. Additionally, your existing Arlo Wire-Free cameras can be synced to an Arlo Pro Base Station to utilize the new base station features. This allows for flexibility when adding to your existing Arlo Wire-Free system.

JamesC

Message 6 of 23
Tutor

@JamesC, will there be a firmware upgrade to the old Arlo base station to add support for saving videos to local stoarge over USB?

Message 7 of 23
Luminary

Oh boy here we go again. 

I was also a Vuezone user, had  to throw my expensive system in the garbage because all the wish list items were introduced in a new product.

Waited a year for a trade-in deal, and after over a dozen emails, instead of a trade-in, I got a small discount. Pretty much a free camera if I purchased 4. I went for it. 

Now, again, not a year later, another upgrade. Yes it's compatible (but don't get all the new features). Do I have to spend another 500 dollars to get sound and rechargeable batteries? 

I really hope Netgear makes it a little easier this time. We are the loyal users and we are the ones that send you the wish list items and report bugs. I will be anxiosuly waiting for the email. 

Oh, despite all my frustrations, I still love the product. And yes, I spent 400 last week on an Orbi system. I like it a lot.

Message 8 of 23

James-

You keep replying the same "script" answer to the growing legions of Arlo customers who are now not happy/confused/pissed off as to the release of the new Arlo Pro and being stuck/strung out having paid hundreds of $$$ for a security system that is now available and offering many, if not all, of the features people were initially looking to purchase but could not because Arlo/Netgear not only never informed customers of the upgrade but in my case when I specifically asked 3 months ago before purchasing that no new Arlos were coming out/improvements to the system were being made.

Basically, you keep pumping the idea of people now purchasing an Arlo Pro Base Station for customers to take advantage of some of the new features...WTF...HOW ABOUT ADRESSING WHAT PEOPLE WANT????   

Is it going to come down to people needing to start an online petition or something where customers can sign their names by the 1.000's to get your attention/PRESS because of their unhappiness/disgust with how this new roll out has taken place and how many thousands of customers have within a reasonable amount of time been lead to believe that the original Arlo was their only option and made the purchase and are now STUCK with units that are severly lacking in features compared to the new Arlo Pro...This isn't going to die down and it seems via another poster that Best Buy has stepped up to the plate and allowed that person to return their current and recently purchased system (though past original return date ie Best Buy )  and receive a full credit towards the new Arlo Pro system when it is released within a week or so.

It seems at least 1 Best Buy Manager is listening and yet Netgear/Arlo keeps pumping out the same scripted answers across the board which DO NOT ADDRESS THE QUESTION/S BEING ASKED!

The biggest shopping season of the year is right around the corner.  

Message 9 of 23
Mentor

A trade-up offer would be great, of course.  I have 11 of the original Arlo wireless cameras and just purchased an Arlo Pro 4 camera kit.  Personally, I am thrilled that Netgear has listened so well to consumer input for additional desired features.  I know that it isn't technically possible to add many of those features to  the original hardware platform, so I expected a new round of hardware at some point,  I saw the Q and Q Plus get introduced and was very happy with those offerings to address previously unmet needs in the Arlo system.  I haven't decided how to disposition my first generation Arlo cameras.  I might try to sell them or I might keep them with the batteries out and only deploy them when I vacation to provide extra coverage in areas inside the house where I normally would not deploy cameras when I'm home.

Message 10 of 23

I must admit, when I see the Arlo pro come out it was nice.

I have the Arlo system, 1 base station 5 cameras. Let me tell you it was a total waste of money.

Batteries are my main issue. Sure you can set up all the recordings you want. Better have lots of batteries. The more your record, the more it sucks down the battery.

I then spoke to support many times are getting the cr123 rechargeable batteries. They stated not too due to the amps not being the same. Then they come out with a device that now has rechargeable batteries??

I get the whole technology changing and things get better. People like me spend $600 or more on this base system less than a year ago. Does Netgear really expect us to go out and buy another system because they enhance their crappy hardware?

They are the same in the Enterprise world as well with switches, and NAS’s.

I wish I could just give them back all of this stuff. If I could swap out the old stuff with the new Arlo pro I would. I like meaning of what they tried to do. But they need to take the non-recharable ones off the shelf.

How many of you are sinking money in batteries?

How many wish you would have bought arlo pro?

Netgear, I feel you should allow customers to turn in the old and allow us to replace with the currect. We have to much money to switch another vendor. Which is what you guys wanted.

Which states like " the new is compatible with old" yea yea yea. Customer sink money is things like this and then you come out with what we want. There needs to be a trade in. I cant go out and spend another 600 plus for 6 camera and a new base station. What about the one who have a preimum account. The ones who have more than 6 camera. Netgear do you relize, how much cash their sinking in batteries. You owe them.

Netgear do what right, and allow use to get the arlo pros in replacement of our old. Nobody will buy the old ones again.

Message 11 of 23
Star

Agreed. This is what many current users experience. I spent thousands and so has my cousin and two of my neighbors. NetGear/Arlo doesn't seem to want to retain current customers.
Message 12 of 23

RECHARGABLE BATTERIES COMING FOR ARLO...

This was posted last week or so in the Announcements Section of the Arlo pages by an administrator.

Ok, great...Though, it will be nice to see when they actually come out...Announcement says mid December/January...

Why did it take so long for Netgear/Arlo to come up/offer a rechargeable battery solution that they will stand by or even better has this been on the drawing board/tested for a while or is it a knee jerk reaction to get something out ASAP because of the current backlash of Arlo owners?

Very happy that this is coming and soon, but in the back of my mind I'm wondering how much they will cost per battery and how long the the charges will actually last in the Arlo vs the Arlo Pro.  You have 3 batteries in the Arlo vs 1 in the Arlo Pro.

Rechargeable Batteries for Arlo Cameras

Administrator
ChristineT

The Arlo team is working towards a certified rechargeable battery solution which will soon allow for Arlo camera users to safely use rechargeable CR123 batteries with their Arlo cameras. We are aiming for a late December to early January availability in the US.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Announcements/Rechargeable-Batteries-for-Arlo-Cameras/td-p/1158514

Message 13 of 23

Message 14 of 23

That's great. But again it will be at the expense of our wallets. Our meaning us the customers. I realize you can't control this. But it's expensive for us. Here is what I suggest. Netgear should give out the rechargable batteries to customers that buy the arlo non pro. People who buy them after the pros are released well that there bad. Customers who have them before it came out Netgear should understand this and honor this. Each camera has a serial number tied back to the purchasing date. This will eliminate the fakes. Also hopefully the old base station will get the USB functions the new one has for external storage. You can expect to bring out a new product and tell the world how great it is. When customers  invested millions on the first generation arlo products

Message 15 of 23
Mentor

Just to be clear the standard Arlo system uses four (not three) 3V CR123 lithium batteries.  The Arlo Pro uses a large cube shaped rechargeable battery.

In theory we all purchased the original Arlo system after evaluating the features and costs of that system and reading product reviews from prior users of this system.  

No manufacturer says if you buy this system, we will upgrade you to the next new product we design and release in this same product space.  New tech products come out constantly...the only truely unfair model is when a manufacturers "bricks" a device we purchased or degrades the original functionality from what it was when we made our purchase decisions,

It is unrealistic to expect the functionality in a new system will be or even could be retrofit into a prior generation.  New systems likely start with a relatively clean slate design and only carry forward what is necessary and desirable in the evolution of the product family.  There can be very dramatic t

I think it is great that Netgear is planning to offer rechargeable batteries for the original Arlo.  I will be happy to stop buying CR123s and instead buy a set of rechargable batteries and a charging station.  I suspect the ROI will be pretty quick versus buying CR123s every 4 months.  The first purchase will likely be more expensive but at some point, I'll come out ahead.

Message 16 of 23

It's all about firmware. 

Message 17 of 23
Mentor

That was my point.  Some of the features people are talking about are hardware features.  I agree completely that it is fair to expect Netgear or any manufacturer to provide additional features over time that are firmware enhancements.  But when we start asking for USB ports and attached storage...or audio capabilities and enhanced motion detection or a siren...we reach beyond firmware features to physical hardware that has been designed into the Pro, but was not part of the original hardware design.

Message 18 of 23

I understand what ur saying it makes sense. But just to clarify. The first model has USB ports. They are there for a reason. There plans were to create firmware for this. But the moved to a newer device. For sound that's not happening. I am a sr system engineer for a living I need with Netgear on a regular basis with Sans,Nas, switches. I can tell you their not customer driven at timea. This who arlo thing is just and add on.

I should have went with Poe cameras with a NVR. I was being cheap. 

Message 19 of 23
Mentor

Got it.  I hadn't paid too much attention to the back of the first base station.  I have two of them, but only deployed one of them.  I'm a retired life-long geek...worked for DEC for 13 years in manufacturing and then 20 years as a CIO.  I even got to play with microcode back when it really was microcode...bits linked to the legs of descrete Schottky logic packages...yuck.

I had a bad experience with my Arlo about 6 weeks ago when I was on vacation (thousands of miles away) and they pushed a firmware upgrade to my base station which knocked 6 of my 11 cameras off line...at a critical time when I needed them to monitor a construction project.  When I entered a case explaining my situation I was given a stock response that completely ignored the details of my case and recommended I remove the batteries from my cameras and bring them close to the base unit to resynch them.  

I do agree there is much to be improved in terms of customer intimacy and support.  For my new home, I'm deploying Axis cameras and NVRs, but will complement those with a few others.  I will likely use Arlo cameras for extra coverage when I'm away and want more "eyes" around the house.  But the Arlo's were great for monitoring a new build site when there were no walls in which to run wires!

Message 20 of 23

Wow that's sad. I haven't found a way to turn of automatic firmware updates. But I would have been very mad and would have torn into them. I realize this product is for non advanced users who need a home monitoring system. For people like us we need more. Arlo is a nice product given what it is. But I wouldn't buy it again. Next time I will take the time and run cat 6 cable for a professional system. And purchase a Poe system. I will buy the rechargable batteries when they do release them.

Message 21 of 23
Mentor

I like POE as well.  I even found a little 5 port POE powered switch that solved a little problem I had at one location.  I can power the switch from my house which has generator backup power and power a camera or two from the switch in my workshop.  I installed about a dozen CAT6 cables in my new house along with some conduit for future technology.

Message 22 of 23
Guide

Then in leiu of a buyback or trade-in program, possibly a discount for current registered owners and a deep discount for same year purchasers.  I'm sure you realize the lively responses in this thread are representative of many others who, for whatever reason, have not posted but are surely wondering why current customers have to scrap their systems to obtain all the new features.  A timely response is needed here.

If these were cheap (monetarily) systems, this would not be an issue as most people know you get what you pay for.  I do not think the rationale of "your existing cameras can by synced to an Arlo Pro Base Station" solves the above mentioned problem.  We paid a premium for your system(s) and expect a reasonable path to upgrade to new systems without just having to buy new products at retail prices. 

After continued consideration, I believe a copy of this thread needs to be forwarded to Netgear Administration (probably the COO/CFO) as I suspect these posts are not going any further than this forum.  Not that we are being ignored, but this is usually the nature of these forums.  Small fires are put out here, but large smoldering issues are watched until they erupt into flame.

Message 23 of 23