Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 23 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
ARLOFAIL2
Follower
Follower

I purchased the Arlo System and shortly after the warranty ended the camera stopped working. I called customer service and they told me to switch the brand of batteries and that would resolve the problem. WHAT??? I then escalated the call to the corporate office and was told someone from NETGEAR / ARLO would call me back that day or the next. NO RETURN CALL. So I called again and ended up speaking with a Supervisor in Manilla that offered 0. Let me repeat that... 0 help in the matter and told me because it was out of warranty that I had NO options except to purchase another camera. WHAT?

ARLO Camera FAIL 2 years. If you buy a ARLO Camera be prepared to buy another one to replace it in 2 years.

HORRIBLE ARLO Customer SERVICE and reps did not care about how to help fix a situation for a customer. I feel bad for the company and they probably need to work on the mechanics of the product and hire customer service agents that can understand how to handle a customer with a issue.

13 REPLIES 13
GearNetRouter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

There is really nothing you can do about it. Maybe your credit card offers and additional one year warranty. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Stuff happens.  My original wireless cameras are working fine after 2.5 years.  A failure (if it really is one as opposed to the need to resync or other troubleshooting) of one camera after one year is hardly the fault of Netgear or any other company.  Many of us have had similar things happen and the sky didn't fall.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ARLOFAIL2,

What issue are you experiencing that indicates the camera no longer works? What LED behaviors are you seeing?

JamesC

mdancey
Aspirant
Aspirant

The camera has been going offline for about a year now. I switched to another camera position that has been working fine  and the problem followed the camera. It will be two years in a few months since I purchased the 4 camera system.

The firmware is updated to the latest version.

I do not want to hear that I have to buy a new camera for 150.00. Is that the only recourse?.

jrh1194
Aspirant
Aspirant

Nobody likes to have equipment fail after the warranty is up. Unfortunately it has happened to most of us at one time or another. Basically you have to decide if you want to buy a replacement Arlo camera or invest in a new system from another manufacturer. I think that I would just get another Arlo. 

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Let me understand here........ your camera unfortunately may have failed after the warranty is up and you want a new camera for free. Do you get a new TV for free from the manufacturer if it stops working after the warranty has run out? Of course not and you SHOULDN'T expect free products just because one may have stopped working after the warranty.

Just because your camera failed after 2 years doesn't mean others will. To make a statement to be prepared to buy another camera after 2 years cause they'll fail is misleading at best. I had a buddy who bought a brand new chevy malibu. The second day he had it the engine blew up, piston destroyed. Since his died after only 2 days does that mean that all chevy malibus will die in 2 days or that people should prepare for that eventuallity? Of course not!

gatencio
Initiate
Initiate

Multiple blogs/forums are showing up by the day RE: purple/ pink tint plaguing these camera's i think there's a problem here there's no fix that holds including mine with reset /hard resets/ removing/ firmware up dates/ battery type changing etc.... i would suggest to not buy another Arlo product, If they or you lucky people that it hasn't happened to yet wont accept there's a problem. you will when and if does.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

wrote:

Multiple blogs/forums are showing up by the day RE: purple/ pink tint plaguing these camera's i think there's a problem here there's no fix that holds including mine with reset /hard resets/ removing/ firmware up dates/ battery type changing etc.... i would suggest to not buy another Arlo product, If they or you lucky people that it hasn't happened to yet wont accept there's a problem. you will when and if does.

The pink issue only affects the Arlo cameras, not the Arlo Pro or the Arlo Pro 2 cameras. My understanding is that it was a hardware issue and the Pro and Pro 2 use different hardware.

jes70s12
Aspirant
Aspirant

Buyer beware - Happened to me too. Support acknowleged camera was faulty and then said oops out of warranty nothing we can do. I will no longer recommend ARLO products to friends or family and will spread the word on social media. Also, beware all these faulty cameras the try to sell as refurbished, probably will will for a short time then your screwed again! 

jes70s12
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, I expect after spending all that money on this system to have better customer service, like get the camera working again or find another solution. FYI, there are better companies out there with better products and I for one will not deal with ARLO again. So good riddance to bad customer service. 

mexateck
Aspirant
Aspirant
I’m going to echo the original authors frustration, but before I go into my story I will say that I am appalled by the responses from others who think that it is acceptable to have a device within warranty to not be deemed replacable when it demonstrates sporadic failures. While I understand that receiving a free new replacement for something post warranty is preposterous, the case of the author and my own case are outside of those boundaries and the poor customer service to mitigate the issue is as bad as the overall reliability of these cameras. I bought an original arlo 5 camera combo on Black Friday of 2017, and implemented the system in June of this year. The first three cameras synced fine with the base station, but the fourth and fifth camera had serious issues. The fourth camera goes on and offline CONSISTENTLY without any reason at all. The radio in the camera works fine as I always see its beacon transmissions to the base station despite its offline status. I reset the base station to seeing that would clear the problem, but it did not rectify the problem. It also drained three sets of batteries in the course of two weeks, likely because of whatever method it takes to try and establish a connection to its base station. I took that camera offline and put the fifth camera into service but that one NEVER SYNCED with the base station. I reset the base station three times to help mitigate the syncing problem but on the third try it dropped all of the connections to all of the cameras. WTF! I managed to resync the original three cameras but the fifth continued to to have problems. I went back to the fourth camera which continues to have issues maitaining the connection. Being that three cameras maintain connection fine and record fine and provide live feeds within any issues proves the base station isn’t the problem. 2 out of 5 cameras having failures is 40% which is an absolutely UNACCEPTABLE and if anyone believes otherwise is absolutely bonkers. Considering the fact that many people have had issues with these systems over the last several years proves that even this number is likely very low..
Zookeeper91326
Star
Star

I had talked my neighbor into the Arlo cameras, and now she's having the same problem as I am with Cameras. I am regretting giving her that advice.

Regrdless of the batteries (I've tried several kinds), the cameras flash the blue light when I try to sync them to the base station (separately). They continue to flash, but will not sync.  Is it the base station, or do the cameras fail after 3-4 years?

Zookeeper91326
Star
Star

If these cameras had cost less,  I would be more blasé about them failing.  But, the cost is a factor.  With failing cameras (base station?) and the poor customer service, my loyalty to Arlo has waned.  I will be purchasing something 1) less expensive, or 2) with a lifetime warranty, and wth a better customer service.